Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  CDS Reel Games
| | |-+  CDS Big Cheese- no more button lights
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CDS Big Cheese- no more button lights  (Read 7228 times)
MarkInAz
Jack of all, master on none.
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 22

« on: March 13, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »

Randy  I did that, but didn't quite fry the board. I was installing a new light bulb in one of the buttons using a pair of needle nose pliers the bulb glass broke, shorted out the board and never ever got any of the button lights to work again, but the game still worked.

Hi guys,
Funny I should find this (above) from your old thread-
My neighbor's Big Cheese now has the same problem.  We are trying to figure out what happened after we changed a few bulls, then a few days later we noticed that none of them are on.  All the bulbs are good but no illumination.  We do measure a strange pulsing voltage on all the sockets but darn if I can make sense of it.  Buzz, did you have any luck with yours?

Mark 

Its Always Something...
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »

Randy  I did that, but didn't quite fry the board. I was installing a new light bulb in one of the buttons using a pair of needle nose pliers the bulb glass broke, shorted out the board and never ever got any of the button lights to work again, but the game still worked.

Hi guys,
Funny I should find this (above) from your old thread-
My neighbor's Big Cheese now has the same problem.  We are trying to figure out what happened after we changed a few bulls, then a few days later we noticed that none of them are on.  All the bulbs are good but no illumination.  We do measure a strange pulsing voltage on all the sockets but darn if I can make sense of it.  Buzz, did you have any luck with yours?

Mark 

The "Strange" pulsing you see is the matrix driving the lights. They are usually addressed in a X/Y matrix.
Typically you will see a set of NPN transistors as the source and another set as the return. Look for discolored devices in a group (Transistors).
Other machines have a completely separate source for lighting, if something kills the lamps the rest of the machine continues to function. CHECK POWER SUPPLIES FIRST!
Also look for diodes in the door wiring, sometimes they are under heatshrink in series with a cable bundle in the door.If you popped one of these it can kill ALL the lamps in the door.

"Needle-Nose" pliers are a disaster! dont do it! I use a piece of rubber vacuum line slipped over the end of the bulb. Create a vacuum on the hose and the bulb pulls right out from the top!

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »

Thanks Kirk,

That's exactly what I'm thinking.  I could swap my Pickpocket mainboard with my neighbors Big Cheese but I'm pretty sure the problem is on his board. 
I've got a copy of the CDS US320 schematics and I do see the lamp common supply line "Lamp D0" from Q-16.  Funny though, I cant seem to find where the "LampV" voltage originates, its not noted on the mainboard or backplane drawing.  Wish I had the power supply schematics for the CDS US320 machine.  Guess I'll have to trace it back - Blah!   bawling

Its Always Something...
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:15:04 AM »

Success !   dancing 2

Finally found out why all the door button lights, BV, & tower lights would not come on even though the rest of the game played fine.  Turns out that "LampV" voltage was originating on the Main circuit board but resistor R-6 was bad blocking the LampV path to all the lamp matrix switching FETs.  Replaced the resistor and tadah.  Luckely we looked around first & found a short on one of the BV bulb wire before we plugged in the repaired main board. The replacement was a pain because it's so small and ESD zapping is a big concern during the surgery too.  Be warned.

Cheers,
Mark

PS- I've got a few extra resistors if someone finds they need one.

* CDSnolights.JPG (105.63 KB, 800x650 - viewed 350 times.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:22:05 AM by MarkInAz » Logged

Its Always Something...
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:16:16 AM »

Success !   dancing 2

Finally found out why all the door button lights, BV, & tower lights would not come on even though the rest of the game played fine.  Turns out that "LampV" voltage was originating on the Main circuit board but resistor R-6 was bad blocking the LampV path to all the lamp matrix switching FETs.  Replaced the resistor and tadah.  Luckely we looked around first & found a short on one of the BV bulb wire before we plugged in the repaired main board. The replacement was a pain because it's so small and ESD zapping is a big concern during the surgery too.  Be warned.

Cheers,
Mark

PS- I've got a few extra resistors if someone finds they need one.

Ya did good! Smiley
Was the bad one cracked down the middle?
0.1 Ohm resistors make good delay fuses Smiley

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »

Glad you got it working!

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
icu44444
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 76

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

hi mark.
hey if you still have some of those resistors, i would like to get them if they dont cost much. i have a couple of boards with similar issue and never have time to find n buy these little devices that will have you in reading glasses faster than old age.
 icu44444
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »

hi mark.
hey if you still have some of those resistors, i would like to get them if they dont cost much. i have a couple of boards with similar issue and never have time to find n buy these little devices that will have you in reading glasses faster than old age.
 icu44444

Sure,

Send me a SASE & I'll drop a few in for you.

Mark

Its Always Something...
icu44444
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 76

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »

mark
thanks on the r6 info. even though the resistor looked(using magnifiying glasses looking into another magnifier) visually ok,  i found a pattern of resistance readings on the three of the boards different at r6 causing other components values to be different.  one other board had a different resistance  than the other boards also but the odd reading was at resistor r2.  out of 10 boards i selected the three that had the same pattern of values different than the rest at r6 I went ahead and replaced r6 with the ones you sent me and now those three having working lite matrix now. so KKKK's your way and to others who provided info in this thread and for sending me those resistors
icu44444
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »

All right, glad to hear that.  Funny how that little 0.1 ohm resistor can go bad with just a brief short on a lamp socket.  The bad ones I replaced changed from 0.1 up to about 500 ohms as I recall.

Cheers,

Mark

Its Always Something...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.