Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  NLG Members Users Request.
| | |-+  Bally 5500 Premature Spin Issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 5500 Premature Spin Issue  (Read 3799 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: February 15, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

<ADD> Problem synopsis:
Machine sporadically spins without warning after first coin is dropped or the first credit is wagered using the bet one button. Does not occur when max bet is used.

So it seems that we both have the same problem.

Have you checked the handle optic like blueridgeslots suggested? It will be easier for you to check it than it will for me. (I don't think that it is the problem, but it's best to make sure.)
« Last Edit: Today at 09:25:16 by channelmaniac »

2 totally different platforms between the 5000 and the 5500

My bad. Any ideas as to why my machine would have the same symptoms?  The irony here is that I do have an optical spin device; it's just on the outside of the machine instead of inside. (I understand that the design is different from the 5000, but it's not exactly standard 5500 either. No handle. No microswitch. (I tried disconnecting the "bet one" button and playing coins, but the problem persists. I suppose that it could be the optical handle or its driver board, but how would I check it?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:25:20 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »

Does the control board for your light wand device have any status LEDs on it?  Like perhaps a LED that shows when the beam is either broken or not broken?  I've worked on some infared devices that had a LED on them to show when they're aligned (just like the safety device of an automatic garage door opener).  If you have one of those types of lights, you could see how closely aligned your wand is -- if you bump it or jiggle the machine and the status changes, you know that it's barely aligned.  If you can bump the wand without the status changing, it's probably fine.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »

I'm afraid not. There is a jumper to make the light wand blink or stay on steady when activated (the lights for this are separate from the sensor light), and a set of 8 dip switches. 1-4 are on and 5-8 are off. I've never messed with them because I have no idea what they do. The wand has a large optical "diameter" of 9/16" and the transmitter and receiver are 1-7/8" apart. Both pieces are attached rock solid to a metal frame 3/4" in thickness that is bolted to the side of the door frame at the upper right corner.

In addition, once the credits are bet and no errant spin occurs, the machine will not spin until the light is broken or the spin button pressed. It can sit there for hours with the wand active, and I can hit the side of the door with my palm just under the wand with no reaction. I also disabled auto spin as a work-around so that I could still have fun with the wand. I play by pressing bet max and then either pressing spin or swiping the wand. The machine NEVER misfires when the max bet is pressed; it always waits for the button or wand. So I don't think that the wand is the issue.

The problem occurs when either the bet one switch is used or coins are dropped. I have also tried disconnecting the bet one switch and have just dropped coins, and the problem persists. That suggests to me that the problem is in the MPU logic, hardware, or software since both pressing the bet one button and dropping coins produce the same result, while pressing bet max (with no spin) does not. The machine has done this as long as I've had it, and it can go more than a dozen spins without the symptom, or misfire twice in a row, but three times would be extremely rare -- actually, I don't recall that ever happening. The pattern of misfires seems truly random, and averages, as a guess, about once every five to seven spins. It always occurs after the first coin/credit, never on the second or third coin.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:14:35 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.