Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  IGT Vision LCD Issue.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT Vision LCD Issue.  (Read 4169 times)
Ohio Chad
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: June 01, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

I have an LCD on a IGT Diamond Thief that after running for 5-10 seconds its colors go weird and the display blacks out.  I know the machines P.S. and CPU are good, I have swapped with a working LCD and works fine.  Anyone have suggestions on test or repair on these old Vision LCD's?  Also, the cooling fan does not engage anymore. Help Help Help
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »

Hi Chad, I replaced a fan in one and got that to work but had no luck on getting other issues to work.

I have a extra working LCD screen if you need one, PM me.

Ron (r273)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

II'd be for checking caps and solder connections on the boards mounted to the back of the LCD assembly. Sounds a lot like a component or connection failing when it starts to warm up
Ohio Chad

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »

Hey Ron,
Thanks for a quick response.  I replaced the fan and it fired up and lasted maybe 5 minutes before it failed again.  I have worked with these in the past and have seen burnt caps and what not, but this one in particular is extremely clean.  What would it take to get the other monitor from you?
Thanks Again,
Chad
Ohio Chad

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »

Thank you "CowboyGames"- I was afraid that was going to be my next approach.  I will break the soldier iron tomorrow and lets see what happens.
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »

Hey Ron,
Thanks for a quick response.  I replaced the fan and it fired up and lasted maybe 5 minutes before it failed again.  I have worked with these in the past and have seen burnt caps and what not, but this one in particular is extremely clean.  What would it take to get the other monitor from you?
Thanks Again,
Chad

PM sent.

Ron (r273)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »

No problem yes Unless the processor is failing, getting the cooling fan working and that increasing how long it runs more and more points to a possible solder connection problem. You could try using a can of freeze spray on different parts of the board after it goes dark to see if the picture comes back. It may not pinpoint the exact problem, but it may help narrow down the search area. If the picture comes back, then you can use a small butane torch on individual components to pinpoint the problem. As fast as it goes out it shouldn't take much to locate the problem with this method. I couldn't begin to tell you how many hundreds of times this worked for me when I was repairing electronics
idesign
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 509

If it aint broke why mess with it?????

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »

This sounds like the inverter is flakey.  Be careful, high voltage here.
Forrhouse
Manufacturing Equipment & Parts to Keep Slots that are No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer running.
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 252

Life is too short, live, love and have a good time

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »

I've seen where the processor, or main ic controlling the lcd, has failed after heating up, but as mentioned by Cowboygames, using freeze spray caused the video to return. The problem turned out to be that heat caused some of the pins on the processor to become un-soldered. He repaired the pins on that side of the processor and it fixed the problem.
Hope this is of some help to you.
E~
Ohio Chad

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

idesign,
Thanks for your advice on the inverter...The power plug on the inverter in burnt.
I will try to swap it out from another bad LCD.  Any advise on discharging the voltage?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »

A long screwdriver with a ground wire from the shaft to the chassis. Only takes a second
Ohio Chad

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »

Worked for 15 minutes and failed.   Silly Me!  I can not thank everyone enough for the advice.  I have to walk away for a day or two before the LCD ends up in the middle of Needmore Rd. right in front of the store I am working at. hissy fit
proten

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:05:05 PM »

Did you replace the thermal compound under the
heat sink?
I had a laptop with a over heat problem that was
burned up compound that caused all the problem.

Paul

One step at a time.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »

II won't tell ya what we used to call it, but Radio Shack has little tubes for a couple bucks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.