Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Bally S5500 not starting up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally S5500 not starting up  (Read 4018 times)
bigslope
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 6

« on: June 26, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

My Bally s5500 was getting slower and slower starting up now it won't start.
At first you powered it up and could wait a min or two, them you would hear a buzzing sound, the reels would jiggle then it would start and play perfect.
It started to get longer, 3 or 4 mins before it would be ready.
Now it had stopped playing. It will power up, the lights come on and when you close the door by pulling out the door switch the led on the coin comparator come on.
The machine will take coins but not give credits.

I do have a spare machine for parts and another working machine if it helps.
I did put the mpu board in my good machine and it worked so it rules that out?
Any ideas you guys???
AnotherTech
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »

I would swap the power supply with the working game, and see if the long time loading problem follows it.  The  P/S is silver, about 6x8 inches, with a bunch of holes for cooling, and held in by 3 11/32" nuts.

It sounds like there are 2 separate problems.  The problem with not crediting coins may be the COD (Coin Optic Decoder) board under the comparator if it has one, or the comparator itself if it doesn't (probably a CC-62).

After finding the problem with it taking a long time to load, then try the comparator or COD board.

Having a working game to swap parts with is the best test equipment to have!  propeller yes
bigslope

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »

Ok I have swapped both the COD board and the coin comparator into the good working machine and they both are working ok.

I will try tomorrow to change the power supply with the working machine to see if that gets it going.

It seems to not be initialising .
bigslope

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »

Swapped power supply with my good machine and it worked 100%.

Now to try and find somewhere in Ireland to get this one fixed.
Could a local gaming company fix it on a bench without having to take the whole machine to them.
I know a guy who works in a local one.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »

Steve   Seems like I remember Blue Ridge had a replacement board for the power supply. I would send Jim a PM and see if he still has them. I would give him a few days to ans.

I talked to him last night and he told me he was so busy that he was going to start walking around with his zipper open and his dilly wacker hanging out, "If he was going to work like a horse he might as well look like one"  When he said horse he may have meant Jackass I'm not sure !!   stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
bigslope

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

Cheers Buzz, will fire him a pm now. No hurry as I am going on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks.

Any burglars reading this? I have been starving the 3 dogs for a week now so good luck lol
AnotherTech
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:43:29 AM »

You can get the whole power supply on ebay for $50 if Blue Ridge is out of the board and you can't find them anywhere else.  The board is almost always the problem (I've never had one that it wasn't the board).  We used to be able to get them for about $8 each in quantity, but those days are long gone.     Duh!

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=bally+5500+power+supply&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »

You can get the whole power supply on ebay for $50 if Blue Ridge is out of the board and you can't find them anywhere else.  The board is almost always the problem (I've never had one that it wasn't the board).  We used to be able to get them for about $8 each in quantity, but those days are long gone.     Duh!

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=bally+5500+power+supply&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Yes but the shipping will kill him, besides Raz has it for shipping to US only  

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.