Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT I-Game and Game King.
| | |-+  3902 I-game/GK Game swaps so simple even.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3902 I-game/GK Game swaps so simple even.....  (Read 8927 times)
Tilt
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 366

« on: June 02, 2010, 01:22:22 AM »

A caveman can do it.   Well, that's what I've been in search of anyhow, so just about anyone can do it, and I think I've found it, but it requires a mod to the 3902 board and some soldering skills.  It can't be too simple right? If you're comfortable with soldering surface mount devices read on.

First a little background.  I've always been in search of an easier way to change games on my GK (and now I-game too...same thing, just more stuff to support the additional row of buttons)  The most difficult way was swapping EPROMS/SIMMS out on a single 3902 board to change games.  You have to keychip it to set all the options every time, a real pain in the @ss, and you run the risk of bending pins, zapping something with static electricity (ESD for the tech types), etc.

So the simple solution to avoid those problems was to get a 3902 board tray for each of your games, costs some $$$, but cheaper than buying a whole new machine by far, and once the EPROMs/SIMMs are installed there's no worries about bending pins, ESD, etc. 

That worked better than the first, but when you swapped out 3902 board tray in the machine you lost your credits, statistics, etc as the EEPROM on the backplane (or motherboard) contains certain information that is specific to the board/game installed.  Still a pain in the @ss, but not as much pain as the chip swapping before having a second 3902 tray.

The solution to that seemed apparent, since the backplane EEPROM is socketed, why not get one for each game and swap it out when you change 3902 board tray?  That idea worked out pretty well, now you could swap the 3902 tray and EEPROM, keep all your statistics and settings, and it wasn't too difficult.  It still required "above average" skills (read, the kids, spouse, etc probably aren't going to do it without training) to make sure that the EEPROM was installed correctly.

Even if you know what you're doing it's still not easy if you don't pay attention because IGT changed the orientation of the backplane EEPROM at some point.  On three of my machines pin 1 belongs on lower left (looking straight at the backplane from the front of the machine), but on another one it's on the upper right.  I accidentally plugged one in backwards once, and luckily it didn't damage anything, but still it's not something you want to do.  It was still better than the first two methods though.

Ok, so that got me looking at the 3902 schematics, and I discovered a way to move the EEPROM from the backplane back to the 3902 board itself.  Somewhere along the line IGT had thought about putting a specialized serial EEPROM on the board at U85 (listed as optional).  According to the schematics I have it was for a M34R32 chip that has some one time programmable (OTP) information as well as EEPROM storage capability.  It's obsolete now, but if you google it you can find a gaming patent that that describes some of the ideas that someone apparently had for it. Yawn.

The good thing about it though is that it is set up the same as the common 24C16 serial eeprom, except the write control line is tied high (through R179).  The 24C16 requires a low on pin 7 to enable memory writes.  By removing R179 that pin is no longer tied high and internally tied low (write enabled).  So now if you install a 27C16 SOIC EEPROM at U85 the MPU will read and write it to vs the backplane EEPROM.  Actually, it will read and write to both if you leave the backplane EEPROM installed, but that defeats the purpose of the mod!

Ok, so what does all this mean?  If you install a 24C16 EEPROM at U85, remove R179, and remove the EEPROM on the backplane all the information the MPU requires stays on board.  You can swap games by simply swapping 3902 trays out.   applause applause  That's simple enough that a caveman can do it!   Clap 

I've done this mod to 12 of my 3902 boards and haven't found a downside to it yet.  If you leave the game EEPROM on the backplane after installing the 3902 board tray and play enough games, up to 100 I guess, (I never counted), the MPU will update both the EEPROM at U85 and the backplane.  Then you can remove the backplane EEPROM and play on.  If you remove the backplane EEPROM prior to installing the modified MPU you'll get a EEPROM CRC Failure error, turn the jackpot reset key and it will boot up.  You'll get a "verify options" warning screen, but your credits/statics will be intact.

3802 boards don't have the empty EEPROM slot, and the display resolution isn't the same as a 3902 so they won't work.

Here's some before and after mod photos.  For the photo detectives, yes, they're different boards. I'm not a photographer and took several photos as I went through the different boards I have.  These two were the best focused.

Standard warning, your mileage may vary.  I'll be happy to answer any questions though.  Please don't attempt this mod if you don't have the skills and equipment, I don't want to see anyone damage their machines! The mouser electronics part number for the serial EEPROM is 511-M24C16-WMN6P.

* 3902 Before Mod.JPG (297.33 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 480 times.)

* 3902 After Mod.JPG (321.09 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 521 times.)
Tilt

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »

Oh yeah, make sure you power down the machine before swapping boards...that should go without saying.  Here's the schematic:

* Pages from 039 Processor Board Schematic.pdf (53.69 KB - downloaded 319 times.)
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:17 AM »

Hail  Great idea and very nice post.  Thanks Tilt.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:38 AM »

Tilt,

K+ for the great detective work and sharing with everyone here!  Clap Clap Clap Hail

Now I need to look at the idea of wiring in a socket there since I can't afford to buy a bunch of 3902 boards??? stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking Scratch Head Scratch Head Scratch Head

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
stormrider

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »

Tilt,

Great post K+  applause

Tim
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:51 PM »

That is soo cool that you figured this out.  I bet you could mod boards for people and make some cash - that chip looks really small and requires some talent to solider.
camino
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:01:58 AM »

Nice..thanks for sharing this. Nothing worse than trying to change chips after a couple of beers!!
TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »

Great Mod - K+
Wonder if it would work on S2000as well ?
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:16:41 AM »

K+ from me as well -- that's great information for home users.   applause

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Tilt

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:45:17 AM »

Great Mod - K+
Wonder if it would work on S2000as well ?

Thanks.  No, unfortunately the 502/504 S2000 stepper boards don't have a location to put the IC.
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »

I think I'd like to try this. What tools are needed?

I have a $10 iron
Tilt

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »

Well that may work if you have a fine tip on it.  I use a SMD rework station that has hot air too.  Similar to this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-1-SMD-Rework-Soldering-Station-HOT-AIR-IRON-/250555725955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0  Also good to have is a lighted magnifying glass, low solid flux (I use a Kester 951 flux pen that works well), and some tweezers for handling the small components.  If you have a junk board with surface mount components use that to practice with and then do the real thing when you feel your equipment and skills are up to it.  I've modded all of my boards now, and haven't ran across any problems as a result.  Changing games is as simple as removing one tray and installing a different one...kinda like a giant Atari cartridge  yes
robertwinter
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

Here's a question -

Say you have a bunch of 3902 trays with different games.  You also have the EEPROMS for each game that you swap into the backplane.  If you mod the 3902 boards, can you use the EEPROM on the 3902 that you previously used in the backplane for that game?
Tilt

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »

Here's a question -

Say you have a bunch of 3902 trays with different games.  You also have the EEPROMS for each game that you swap into the backplane.  If you mod the 3902 boards, can you use the EEPROM on the 3902 that you previously used in the backplane for that game?

If you could get it to fit then yes, it would work.  The backplane uses a DIP package for the EEPROM, while the 3902 MPU has an empty space for a SOIC EEPROM.
Gunnerbill
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

OK, Order my 24c16's, I have this on my list for a "To Do" project !! Boy that sure is a small working area. Easy to remove R179, but those pins sure look very a very tight area @ U85. A challenge !! I love it.

Thanks Cliff

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.