Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Hard drive surprises
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard drive surprises  (Read 3944 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 29, 2008, 02:35:44 AM »

WROTE BY Slotness_Monster

Hello trusted  forum friends.
I recently swapped out my working hard drive for a larger one. Everything with the new drive works just fine (knock on wood).
Now I would like to start reading the data on my old drive, which is still out of the machine.
Other that the standard slave set-up, what else should I look out for?
If it matters, my BIOS has an auto-detect feature.

Thanks for any 'heads-up',
'da Monster

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

WROTE BY Jay

I think you are good but it depends on what you want to accomplish....

Typically speaking if you get a new drive and load a fresh operating system you are in the best shape. This is because your registry is not oversized and polluted. I have seen people say they need a new computer because theirs is sooo slow. Generally speaking their registry has just gotten huge and the amount of RAM is insufficent to hold all the registry stuff (yes good old Microsoft re-reads the whole stinking thing into RAM everytime you start a new program - this includes use of printers and other system service functions that startup). This is why spyware and adware is so bad. Not only does it make your system slow because it runs all sorts of stuff but even after you remove it your registry never shrinks in size. If you want to keep your system peppy wipe it once a year.

The down side of this is that you need to install all your programs again. Slaving the drive like you have then allows you to pull all of your data over.

When we want to upgrade a system to a larger drive at the office. We Ghost the machine (Check out Symantecs site - this is by Norton).
This tool allows you to take an image of your hard drive then reload it on a new drive. The new (larger) drive then behaves exactly the same.

The only down fall of this is you need to have space to write out the Image and it can't be on the new drive that you just bought. So you either need room on your old hard drive or some kind of external USB drive. We typically put the image on a DVD - RW

If you have the patience - What I really suggest doing is to start with a fresh OS, reload all of your programs - then ghost the machine. This way you can bring it back to a pristene state (less your data) anytime you want.

Dell also has a program that comes as a 19.99 option with a new computer. It uses a USB cable and it clones your computer settings. Its pretty good. It even remembers your Solitare stats. This won't help you with a new drive but thought I would mention it anyways,.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 02:38:11 AM »

WROTE BY Cactusjack

Just as a waring so you don't waste too much of your time:

I have had issues when mixing brands of drives as slaves and masters.  Especially when one is really old, and the other brand new. Sometimes, even though you have both drives set so the jumpers are the way you want (master and slave) one of the drives may not be "visable" to the OS. Even though they both work fine when they are the only drive on the cable.  If this happens, it may be necessary to place the other hard drive on the secondary IDE port (the one the other HD is not attacted to).  To do this, you may need to temporarily remove one of your CD drives if you have two hooked up in the machine.  But again, another caution:  I have lost CD access before with Win98 when doing such an upsizing drive swap.

CJ

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »

WROTE BY idesign

I presume you have a second drive bay to install the old drive in.  Since you have it set up for auto detect make sure the drive is not set for something else.  Also, you will have to set the BIOS for the second drive to be recognized.  Once you do that you should be set to go.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 02:39:34 AM »

WROTE BY dnwheeler (Unregistered member)

To get the data off the old hard drive, it would probably be easier to just get an external USB 2.0 hard drive case. That way you don't have to worry about the BIOS, masters, slaves, or anything. Just plug it in, copy off the data, then unplug it. You can keep the old drive as a portable external drive, too.

--Doug

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:40:08 AM »

WROTE BY deadbus (Unregistered member)

You know that those Hard Drive platters in broken HDD make excellent coasters.  They alst longer than those AO* cd's I get in the mail.  Just my $.02

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:41:19 AM »

WROTE BY channelmaniac

The magnets are great too! Just be careful you don't get pinched between two of 'em. You'll get a nasty blood blister.

They are a lot of fun - put one on the fridge and laugh as your spouse or kid tries to remove it.

Another use is magnetizing a couple of screwdrivers to help with keeping screws on the tip when digging inside cabinets.

And... you can stick 'em on the end of a long metal rod to reach down inside a deep place to pick up the screw you just dropped.

All that and you can still slice a tomato! Well, maybe not... arrow

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:42:35 AM »

WROTE BY pmcculey (Unregistered member)

A usb external case is great if you have more than 1 computer, but there is nothing wrong with just setting the old drive up as a slave with your new drive.

Joe

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.