Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:45:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  files messed up
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: files messed up  (Read 9755 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »

i ran a avg  anti virus to day and it came up with this stuff,( 1 ) partition table mbr changed, ( 2)  boot sector of disk changed ,
( 3 ) kernel 32 dll reading error  ,( 4 ) wsock 32 dll reading error( 5 ) user 32 dll reading error, ( 6 ) shell 32 dll reading error,
is this  a hard drive  problem ? systems seems to run ok, i have windows  xp and did the restore point thing, also reinstalled windows xp
errors still there, any ideas just checking to make sure systems wasn't hacked,

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »

You can run CHKDSK /F just in a dos window but it won't correct anything, just report partition and file corruption errors if they exist.

If you get some then I would boot up in safe mode to the command prompt and do a CHKDSK /F ... this will check and fix any partition corruption you have.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

so is this something i should worry about ? or is it just a hard drive going bad ? what would made this type of changes? download virus?

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »

Corruption can happen in a lot of different ways.

1. Virus
2. Malware / Root kit
3. Turning off the computer without shutting down
4. Failing Hard drive.

I will always recommend having a good backup
- personally I have had a lot of trouble with tape drives. Either the hard drives exceed tape capacity, tapes go bad or you just can't get the tapes anymore.
- I would keep all of your data in the MyDocuments area or create a new subdirectory called Data and put all of your files in it. I only backup data as I figrure any program I need I can get back from the orginal disk.
- I have a 1gig memory key that I write all of my updated data to about once or twice a week depending on how active I am, I also have a CD R/W and I burn a copy of my data about once a month, label it and put it in a box. I don't trust CD R/W to be around forever either but even if 1/2 work I will be ok if I ever need them.

Virus's try and hide themselves. One of the ways that this is done is to infect the boot sector of your hard drive. The common method is to re-write the contents of your boot sector elsewhere on your hard drive, install the virus in the boot sector, which then points to this other area. Depending on the virus this other location may or may not get updated into your file allocation table. Assuming it doesn't get written to the allocation table it is possible that at some point as you add data to your hard drive, or do a defrag etc that this area gets overwritten and your hard drive now fails to boot.

A Root Kit works in much the same way but it hides in your file allocation table. Basically it creates directories and files that are not recorded in the FAT but are still accessable on your hard drive. Again where these things cause trouble is that when the classic tools to clean up your hard drive become active they end up overwriting part of this unallocated space and then all of a sudden your computer stops working correctly as it can't find your files. The best analogy to this is having deposited a bunch of money in the bank but the bank loses track of all account numbers and there is no record of your money. You lose your fat and all is lost. On Windows 2000/xp/vista there are multiple backups of your fat however if you have been infected for a while the backup is probably infected too.

Turning the computer off without shutting down can cause all sorts of errors in your boot and fat - usually it doesn't happen, and when it does the PC often recovers just fine but sometimes there is left over corruption.

If you think you have a virus You can go to Trend Microsystems web site and they have a free web tool that will scan your system. It takes a while so you may want to start it before going to bed, if you are clean then run the Lavasoft (adaware program) and let that do its thing and then the CHKDSK.

If you have a failing hard drive - backup your data, reformat and see how it goes. At worst case a new huge harddrive is likely under $100 these days.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:26 PM »

so is this something i should worry about ? or is it just a hard drive going bad ? what would made this type of changes? download virus?
I would backup your data ASAP and try using a different hard drive to see if the error goes away.  Re-installing windows XP is a sure bet, but only if you format the drive before you re-install.  If you re-install on top, it doesn't get rid of potential issues.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »

yes i reinstalled xp  but did not format, i realty don't keep anything special on it so i have a restore disc, i will just blow off the hard drive, that didn't sound right, anyway i will just do a complete restore  just have to reinstall xp from the start, and all my book mark, and tell my wife to stay off the * sites  rotflmao rotflmao

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »

Your bookmarks are saved in a directory inside:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Favorites

{username} is whatever use you log in as.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »

If it were my computer I'd:

a) backup NOW. There is a chance you have failing hardware.
b) if possible, run an online virus scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
c) if all else fails, format.

Formatting isn't a cure-all. You may have a hardware issue, in which case formatting will not help.

Good luck, and may the force (karma) be with you!   lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt

James

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »

I don't think my post was quite clear.  I too believe that you may have a hard drive in the borderfile fail.  That's why the backup ASAP and then try another drive.  The re-format suggestion was to see if you wanted to test your original drive.  How old is your current drive?

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

I HAVE A CRAPPY EMACHINE THE UNIT IS ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD , I'M GOING TO TRY A FULL RESTORE TONIGHT , ANY THEN RUN THE TEST AGAIN , IF THAT DOES NOT WORK . OUT THE WINDOW IT GOES, ALSO JUST BOUGHT EPROM PROGRAMMER ON EBAY SO I HAVE TO KEEP THE BOX AND JUST REPLACE THE HARD DRIVE BECAUSE OF THE PRINTER PORT I NEED,

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

What is the speed of the machine? Throw it away???  ARE YOU CRAZY? ARE YOUR CAPS STUCK?   yes

I can't imagine throwing away a pc. Surely you can fix it. I have about 50 in my house to prove it......

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »

YES I'M CRAZY  arrow arrow arrow arrow, I DON'T WARE A CAP THATS WHY I'M BALD  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao WAS NOT GOING TO TOSS THE PC JUST THE HARD DRIVE,  ITS A 733 20 GB. 512 K RAM, GOT ANY GOOD USED HARD DRIVES ?? OK TIME TO SHOW THE DRIVE  THE RESTORE DISC  THIS WILL TEACH IT  AH AH  NOW IT BETTER LOOK OUT  I'M GOING TO CHANGE ITS BRAIN ,   LOOK EGORE WE FINALLY FOUND A BRAIN SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT,  LARRY,   MOW AND  THE GREAT CURLY, YUK YUK YUK

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »

OK IM BACK UP AND RUNNING DID A COMPLETE RESTORE ALL IS WELL

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

Your caps lock key is still broken, maybe time for a new keyboard??!?!   loser

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »

The keyboard may indeed be faulty.  This keyboard may have a loose nut behind it.   arrow
You may fix this problem with a little of this workbench fluid:  beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »

The keyboard may indeed be faulty.  This keyboard may have a loose nut behind it.   arrow
You may fix this problem with a little of this workbench fluid:  beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

LOL, I think my keyboard has the same problem.....

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »

Spilling that stuff on the keyboard is what probably got it stuck in the first place! arrow arrow rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

Kenokarz,

What others here are trying to tactfully say, is that when you post in ALL CAPS (capital letters) online posts and emails are read as YELLING.  So, I guess they want you to press that CAPS LOCK button to turn off all caps.

But, I can't find the Any Key!

CJ

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

Tact, what's that??    Pacman

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

sorry guys i knew the caps were on but with out my glasses it was hard to read  , any way what else can i say ,  but NO MORE CAPS  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.