Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  intermittent reel error on Bally e2000 slot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: intermittent reel error on Bally e2000 slot  (Read 6027 times)
montulli
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: February 03, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »

I recently bought an E2000, I think it is an E2203 triple 7 machine.    Things are mostly good with it.   It will play correctly for about 20 plays and then starts to get reel errors on the 3rd reel.   Usually 43 but sometimes 73 or 93 error codes.    I swapped the 2 and 3 optical reader and it didn't change anything so I don't think the reader is at fault.   (they are the older 50v visible light readers)

I put a voltmeter to the PSU board and was getting some odd readings (They were too low to be believable), and while I was doing that I accidentally shorted two of the wire loops and blew the fuse.   The fuse is supposed to be 9.5 volts and 8 amps but the fuse that was in there was 32 V and 8 amps.    I bought what I think is the correct fuse (250V .5a) to replace it and it immediately blows.    So now I'm thinking I have a bad PSU.    

Does anyone have any ideas?    I could have the wrong fuse, but 9.5v x 8a is 76 watts so I figured a 250v .5a fuse with 125 watts should work, but I'm not entirely sure if it is comparable.

Test 6 shows the reader is working, but I was getting some odd codes for half of the 3rd reel.   The first half of the reel shows perfect alignment and then the latter half was showing codes that didn't align with the tape on the reel.    (would show 1 for a 3 bar etc.)

Here are pictures of the machine and PSU:
https://plus.google.com/photos/102635252019311981885/albums/5840589064728738177?authkey=CPOLvojRoK6Z8AE
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:09:55 AM by montulli » Logged
rjpohl
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 103

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »

make sure the reel or strips are not rubbing on anything when they spin.  I had one a few years back that had the decal loose and it would rub against the reel from time to time and cause the tilt.

Bob

FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

I assume you meant the 5 test not 6 - if you are getting incorrect codes during that the test - that is a 1 indicating single bar  and you are getting 3  triple bar - then you have a bad reader - could also be the reader control board.  switch two readers and see if the error persists.
montulli

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »

make sure the reel or strips are not rubbing on anything when they spin.  I had one a few years back that had the decal loose and it would rub against the reel from time to time and cause the tilt.

Bob

I removed the reels a few days ago and lubricated the bearings and checked for alignment.   Everything spins very well with no rubbing.   I had thought that might be the problem originally, but it does not appear to be.
montulli

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

I assume you meant the 5 test not 6 - if you are getting incorrect codes during that the test - that is a 1 indicating single bar  and you are getting 3  triple bar - then you have a bad reader - could also be the reader control board.  switch two readers and see if the error persists.

Yes, 5 not 6.    I already switched reader 3 for 2 and the problem is the same.    I guess it could be a reader control board, but the reading was perfectly consistent, it just appeared to be thinking it was the wrong symbol.   I would guess that is some sort of look up table error and not a reader error.

My issue now is that the PSU needs to be re-powered and I am hesitant to put the wrong fuse into the machine.     It is possible that I am using the wrong fuse wattage in my replacement since I could not find a 9V fuse anywhere.      Where do most board members source their fuses?
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

Have you lubricated all the linkage and solenoids? If they are gummed up and they will react slowly when energized, this will give you errors. The two black cross shafts need to spin freely when you turn them with your fingers. If they do not, this is an indication of gummed up linkage. The rollers on all the linkage must spin freely also.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »

One other thing I have found that can cause an error is a slow spinning reel. There is a small hole on the reels center hub for oiling the needle bearing. Put a few drops of a light weight machine oil in that hole and spin the reels. I had a nickel machine that would give an error on a start up spin till I oiled the hubs. After that it never did it again.  Give it a try, can't hurt.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
MarkInAz
Jack of all, master on none.
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 22

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:11 AM »

Hi Montulli,

You need to use the correct fuse amperage.  Yes it is heat (watts) that blows the fuse but to calculate it it would be I squared x R, not E x I.  The voltage is inconsequential, its the resistance of the fuse and the current through the fuse no matter what the circuit voltage is.  The voltage rating on a fuse has more to do with flash-over after it has been blown.  A higher fuse voltage is fine.  Get them at Radio Shack, Walmart, anywhere really.  So I'd suggest you wait on condemning your PSU until you get the correct fuses.  I can tell you from experience you can never have too many spare fuses around when it comes to playing with slot machines.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:25:30 PM by MarkInAz » Logged

Its Always Something...
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »

pos.1= 8 amp          pos.2= 10 amp

pos.3= 10 amp        pos.4= 8 amp

pos.5= 5 amp          pos.6= 5 amp

I do not know how to post a page from PDF here so here is my diagram above.

Make sure the correct amp fuses are in the correct  positions.
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »

Yes, you have it correct.

Its Always Something...
montulli

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »

Here is a summary of where I am at.   

1) I bought the correct 8 amp fuse.   Now the PSU has power.
2) I tested the PSU and the voltages are correct, so it probably isn't the PSU that is a problem.
3) I still get reel errors, but I have now seen a few on reel 1, but most on reel 3.   
4) twice when I went into test 5 I found that the reader was not showing the correct codes.    After a reset, it was fine again.    It is very sporadic and very odd.    I'm checking for loose wires and connections, but I have not found anything.
5) I'm going to go back and check all the mechanical parts and make sure everything is well lubricated and smooth.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 07:06:16 AM »

Have you removed the read reader boards and checked them for damage or bad solder joints?

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »

Good Montulli , now you are back on track.  You'll get 'er working.

Its Always Something...
montulli

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »

Things were going pretty well until I broke one of the reader boards while swapping it.    I must have hit one of the solder joints with the reels.   I had to order another one from Ebay.    I'll be back at it in a week.  Smiley
montulli

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 03:27:19 AM »

Things were going pretty well until I broke one of the reader boards while swapping it.    I must have hit one of the solder joints with the reels.   I had to order another one from Ebay.    I'll be back at it in a week.  Smiley

Foxsslots to the rescue.   I put a new reader board in and everything works now.   The board must have been partially bad, so I got lucky by having it fail completely.     Happy now.    My next project is to try and get a quieter fan.   The exiting fan is way loud and seems overkill for a single machine in a relatively cool room.     I'll search the message boards, but if anyone has any hints please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm really happy to be up and running.
MarkInAz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:08:53 AM »

Glad to hear its up & running.  Congrats.  The Wave

As for the fan- I've wondered about that too, I mean if its really needed for home use.  I have a couple IGT/Barcrest machines that are loud too.  I suppose  Scratch Head you could replace it with a 12VDC computer fan & splice in a 12VDC wall transformer somewhere to power it.  ---------   Anyone else care to weigh in on this?

Cheers,

Mark

Its Always Something...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.