Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Windows 64 Bit OS workarounds for DOS Apps or USB with only 32 bit drivers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 64 Bit OS workarounds for DOS Apps or USB with only 32 bit drivers  (Read 4323 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS

Appllications and hardware I want to use under Vista 64:
Mikohn PSP software (DOS Application)
EasyPRO 90B hardware & software (USB eprom & chip programmer)
FTDI chip USB to RS232 adapter (for use with mikohn PSP)

I tried the Virtual PC 2007 with Windows XP Professional (32 bit) installed as the guest OS, no luck with the EasyPRO 90B software , didnt try PSP at all, no access to USB devices with a few exceptions: Mass Storage, Mice, keyboards.

I tried Sun's Virtual BoxVirtual machine software with Windows XP Professional 32 bit
I set up Sun VirtualBox so that the 2 USB devices are set up as lack of better word in pass through mode.  (Host OS installs VirtualBox USB drivers and the guest OS installs the compatable drivers for the device)
Windows XP has the actual drivers for the 2 devices installed reason for the usb pass through or direct access is for the following reasons:
FTDI USB to Serial (RS232, Com port) VirtualBox wouldnt let the Windows XP virtual machine start if I called it com2 or USB Serial Port (COM2) didnt know what device name to enter in VirtualBox serial config
EasyPRO 90B driver software (no 64 bit drivers)
PSP works I do get a few controller errors from PSP, but thats been normal for me even runing XP as the main OS on other machines.

Wonder how hard WMware is to use.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:53:05 PM »

Did have Vistra for some reason Install its drivers for the FTDI USB to Serial Com Port Adapter. 
Which disabled XP in Virtual Box from seeing device.

Uninstalled the device in Vista, which allowed device to be enabled by XP

Oh what I have to go through to support DOS programs.

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.