Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  Anyone know a lot about ATVs and riding mowers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone know a lot about ATVs and riding mowers?  (Read 4884 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »

Here is the deal. I live on 50 acres and I currently have 2 riding mowers. One is 18HP and the other is 20HP. Both have hydrostatic transmissions. The 18HP one is older and I've used and abused it for the last 6 years. I'm surprised the transmission has not burned out sooner. I use it a lot to pull a grader and to also pull a trailer with logs, rocks, etc. But the transmission is finally giving out and it costs just about as much to have it repaired or replaced as to buy a new mower. The newer 20HP mower I have, I try to use only for mowing. But despite being a higher HP, it has a hard time pulling anything. So I don't want to risk ruining it, and will keep using it just as a mower.

Now, I have been thinking about getting an ATV to use for pulling the grader, trailer etc. And of course also for fun. Now what I am unsure of is what size do I need to accomplish the mission of grading and hauling stuff? I have tried to find a cross reference of the CCs to HP, but that seems to vary. Mainly what I need is something with a lot of torque to pull the heavy loads. I was thinking that something in the 400cc range should be sufficient, but I was hoping someone here may have an ATV they use for stuff like this and can offer their opinion on the size that would work. I am also assuming that an ATV is also geared better to begin with to have more torque than a riding mower. I don't want to go overboard, as $$ is an issue. And the work aspect is more important than the fun part.
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »

The bigger the more work you can do with it.
poppo

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »

The bigger the more work you can do with it.

Well, I know that.  frying pan

Mainly I want to know what would be the MINIMUM that would equate to what I had that worked.
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »

What kind of grader are you using? If it's just a small one then a 400 should be big enough. If it's large & hard pulling I would go bigger.
poppo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »

It's a small grader. Again I had used my 18HP riding mower for years with it without any real problems.

Yeah, I was thinking something in the 400-450 range would work.

I just found this while Googling

Capacities: Contrary to popular belief, an ATV with a larger-displacement engine does not necessarily have a larger carrying or towing capacity. Pretty much all ATVs larger than 350cc can carry 100 pounds on their rear racks and tow about 1,000 pounds. These capacities increase only very slightly for the very largest ATVs. This is because the capacity ratings have as much to do with the stability of the ATV as they do with the brute force of its engine.

http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=getArticle&dataId=43169

FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »

If you did it with 18HP mower then a 400 or 450 should do a better job then lawn mower.
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Topic Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:14 AM »

HP in a small mowers are over rated. I have a Cub Cadet with a Koliler  22 HP engine and hydro-static transmission. It works good for me to mow a couple of acres
that is very hilly and ruff.  I later was in a law suit about the over rated HP on this mower and was awarded a small sum of money with 1000's others.

25 CC is equal to about 1 HP.

My 650CC UTV is equal to about 26 HP. I use my 4 wheel drive UTV (utility vehicle) and winch to pull out dead stumps and large tree limbs that I can't
pick up. The 350 ATV I  had  the power but not the traction. Mainly because it did not weigh enough. My UTV weights in at 1000 lbs.

Hope this helps.

Ron (r273)

poppo

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:15:17 AM »

I later was in a law suit about the over rated HP on this mower and was awarded a small sum of money with 1000's others.    

Yeah, I got in on that. I ended up with about $59 (and an extended warranty). That was for the two riding mowers and one push mower. It was supposed to be 'up to' $75 for each riding mower, but so many people got in on it that it ended up quite a bit less. But I'm sure the lawyers got their full cut.

As for traction, my mower used to be able to spin the tires if the grader got stuck. Now it just stops.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »

If you're mowing *that* much you should buy a small tractor with PTO and a brush hog.

Just remember to pull stumps BACKWARDS with the tractor to avoid tipping over and getting crushed under it.

The tractor can handle all kinds of different attachments for plowing, grading, seeding, etc.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »

I live on 98-1/2 acres but mow...well, I'm guessing about maybe no more than 4-1/2 acres of grass or so ?...
that's more than sufficient for the neighbors to think I'm actually doing some sort of upkeep with the yardwork.... rotflmao
See my mowing area below...I hate it! Takes me about 3 hours to cut!!!! bawling

I actually don't care about the grass being cut right now because of the ridiculous price of gasoline.
I long for the days when it cost like $5 to fill up my gas can instead of $20.

As far as pulling out stumps...size matters.  Crazy
There's no way I will try to pull out a 80-100 year old maple stump but as far as let's say 5 -10 year old tree stumps...
that's no problem with an old 1988 Honda TRX250 ATV 4 wheeler (250cc motor) and a good piece of chain.
You have to let release the throttle when the stump starts coming out though...that way they don't hit you in the head... Silly Me!

Paid around $2000 oh about 23 years ago....worth about $230.00 nowadays...lol
Still runs great and starts up 1st time EVERY time!
Click on any photo to enlarge if desired...>>>

* 1988 Honda TRX250.JPG (21.77 KB, 300x427 - viewed 287 times.)

* grass cutting area at home.png (433.62 KB, 629x488 - viewed 305 times.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:19:19 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »

What grass, Bunker? It looks like dead ground that you colored green.   Crazy Tongue Out frying pan Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »

lol  It's the GIS mapping service...poor satellite shots from space...
I don't have that many red trees either...lol
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:58:28 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
dale
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 60

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

I have a Kodiak 450 and two 700 kingquads. A 450 should be fine and there are many accessories available to handle most of your yardwork.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.