Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Sam's Choice bottled water
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sam's Choice bottled water  (Read 8722 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: February 03, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »

Soapbox Alert

It's bad enough that they have made the bottles paper thin, but now they have eliminated the cardboard 'tray' that the bottles sit in. This causes 2 issues. (1) When you try to carry it, it wants to fold up like an accordion and causes bottles to leak. (2) You can't stack them as high because the tops rest right on the bottoms of the next layer (instead of having the weight more evenly distributed on the tray). This also causes the flimsy bottles to break or leak.

What were they thinking?  censored censored censored

Old on left. 'New' on right.  knockout

* water.jpg (372.51 KB, 894x630 - viewed 279 times.)
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »

Its a new trend with lots of bottled water manufacturers. Its a pain in the ass for the exact reasons you stated. But I'm sure its because they can save money on material costs AND they can charge more for a case since its more environmentally friendly. They keep those pieces of cardboard out of the landfil and we get to pay extra for it  Scratch Head
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »

Maybe they were thinking that you saved all of the carboard bottoms from when they did it better?

Fill out the comment cards at the warehouse, maybe they will listen? Then when you are at the warehouse, maybe they will have a box bottom that is close enough to carry it in? Have them find one for you. Maybe they will understand the problem. Return any bottles that got a leak and ask for replacements... Maybe they will see there is a problem?

These were hard enough to handle when they had the cardboard.

Sorry, hope that you have a better day... go play with a slot machine! yes propeller yes

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
poppo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »

If you look at the 'old' style, you can see that the right two front bottles are already crushed, and that was WITH the tray.

And on top of that, I've lost a source of gun target backers, which the trays worked well for. <sigh>
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »

I've noticed when opening these new bottles you damn near crush it trying to get the lid off sometimes too. I'm all for going back to glass returnable bottles for water and pop. Dump the aluminum cans too yes There aren't enough windmills and solar panels in the whole country to run a descent size aluminum smelter
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »

I have an aluminium can crusher mounted on the wall in my garage... I don't know how many times I've been out there crushing cans to get the frustration of a bad day out. Its a lot cheaper than a therapist  rotflmao

So please don't get rid of aluminum cans. Actually a lot of craft beer makers are going away from glass bottles. Aluminum keeps it colder, protects it from damaging effects of sunlight, and is easier to transport.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

It's just another example of the rediculousness of the "green" movement. Like the guy that drives his electric car to spend a day at a rally drinking bottled water to protest about the environment and brag about how he's reduced his carbon footprint. I get to see what an idiot he is while I pour an extra 1000 tons of coal into the boiler at work to supply the extra electricity to charge his(and all the other) car(s) because he only reduced his carbon footprint by putting it onto someone else's shoulders. And yes, I know there are those that actually, smartly, try to represent their cause, but I've seen these things and I'm referring to the majority of what I've seen. I'm not a green freak by any stretch of the imagination, but I do make an effort to limit my contribution to the pollution pool.
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

You know most bottled water is the same water you get from your community or city water system . it has just been run through a carbon  ( charcoal ) filter . As if not marked as distilled water or RO WATER or DEIONIZED  . Most call theirs mineral water  or maybe purified water as in the pic above . the only requirement is it fall's under THE FDA MIN STANDARD FOR POTABLE WATER . THAT MEANS IT CAN HAVE AS MUCH CRAP IN IT AS ANY TAP WATER AS LONG AS ITS SAFE.  It is marketed and sold by the manufacture as in a BRAND name or no brand which could easily be the same product with just a differant label . Do you really think Sam's club has its own bottling plant ?  Drinking water is lots better for you than soda products that is true  and the portability of bottled water is great . But if your water from your regular tap is SAFE AND CLEAR  NOT SMELLY  Then just drink it  save your money . People have been drinking tap water for as long as faucets have been around. and there still here . Its all a mass marketing scam on the general public. THINK ABOUT IT  Soapbox Alert Soapbox Alert   NOTE    I sell water softeners   / iron filters  / RO UNITS / UV UNITS / TO MANY THAT DONT NEED THEM BUT JUST THINK THEY NEED THEM . You just cant change some peoples opinion when the mass media spreads propaganda    SO i do not fight it     Duh!

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »

I am going to say this Fast Food industry as well a the bottled water industry are creating too much waste that is not recycled.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »

It's just another example of the rediculousness of the "green" movement. Like the guy that drives his electric car to spend a day at a rally drinking bottled water to protest about the environment and brag about how he's reduced his carbon footprint.

HAAAAA, CARBON FOOTPRINT......
I like when they try to guilt you into paying for your carbon usage.
Just send that money to me and I'll send you a GENUINE certificate for your wall.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

PLunger,
What's an easy way to measure the iron content in the tap water?
Do they make test strips like the kind for swimming pool water?
I'm running an older RainSoft that utilizes rock salt to pull out he iron in the well water.
My socks are white when washed but sometimes there's iron stain in the sink
( I gotta change out that rubber washer someday...lol) if I forget to get some salt for the softener.
Hotrodslots69
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 36

If all the smoke gets out it won't work anymore!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:39 AM »

Iron out works well to get the iron out but be careful not to use to much, it works well at keeping the iron stains on you sink and shower too.

Hotrodslots69
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 36

If all the smoke gets out it won't work anymore!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:24:53 AM »

Also you may end up with 24 ziplock bags and a big bottle to fill them with, be glad they still have bottles that don't dissolve from water contact.  Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy

channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »

I've always  bust gut laughing at the name "Sam's Choice"....

He's DEAD. What did they do, hold a seance?  Oh Saaaaaammmmm.... What should we put your naaaaaaameeee onnnnnnn????

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »

He's DEAD. What did they do, hold a seance?  Oh Saaaaaammmmm.... What should we put your naaaaaaameeee onnnnnnn????
    And SAM answered    IT DOESNT MATTER    JUST GET IT FROM CHINA

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »

And SAM answered    IT DOESNT MATTER    JUST GET IT FROM CHINA

"...and mark it up 500%"  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

The bottled water scam has had me laughing for years. I'll drink it when someone hands me a bottle but I don't buy it. I use a PUR faucet filter to get the chlorine smell and taste out of my tap water and I'm happy.  arrow If it weren't for the chlorine smell, I'd probably dump the filter altogether.

Anyone else have fun reading the nutritional labels on water bottles?  Crazy  frying pan  Cry Laughing Cry Laughing   Hey, I actually found one with a non-zero value on it!!    ...   ...   ...  It had 1mg of sodium (really)!  I forgot the brand.

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

I live rural and the water here really does taste bad. And it's not chlorine. I've tried filters but they don't help. Plus I try to keep an emergency supply of water on hand, so I am always rotating out the older stuff with the new. Not sure if anyone is watching that 'doomsday preppers' show, but while I may not be over the deep end like some of those people, I do keep a 90 day supply of food and water on hand.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »

Poppo,

My in-laws live in the middle of nowhere and have a well that gives them highly mineralized water with a crapload of iron. They have a softener and use the iron-out stuff, but the water is still nasty... but they have one of the GE RO units and it kicks major ass.

I highly recommend it.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GXRM10RBL

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »

And on top of that, I've lost a source of gun target backers, which the trays worked well for. <sigh>

I know...Those trays make great backers for range work. Now I use surplus military sand bags (25-50 cents a piece) and fill them with gravel or all purpose sand, I have around 50 bags in my garage that I use as a berm and backstop that's 2 bags wide by about 8 bags high (double stacked, 2 rows of bags for added protection). This allows me to safety shoot 22LR and even my .38/9mm.

If ya got land, Get some sandbags they will stop my 7.62 and 5.56 with ease Smiley

Now, back to the water.....

Our local brand (Poland Spring) did the same thing, costs less to simply shrink the bottles in plastic and skip the cardboard. Hey, they even made the bottles smaller and reduced cap/neck size...It's like drinking out of a hamster bottle...
poppo

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »

LOL. I went into Walmart this morning and they were busy cleaning up the mess from a "pyramid" of these cases of bottles water that they had stacked up by the door and had collapsed. The manager was standing there, and I laughed and said" See, that is what happens when you get cheap and leave out the cardboard liners".

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.