Parking Meter Locks

(1/5) > >>

Alan Hankins:
I'm trying to restore a Duncan Parking meter.  My first hurdle is the locks.  Took the meter to a locksmith who said he couldn't help because they are restricted and he can't get blanks for them.  He also said he couldn't replace them (which doesn't seem logical to me).  One lock is already open, but the other isn't.  I would think a locksmith could make keys for each lock, restricted or not.  What do most people do in this situation?  Get keys made (and by whom?) or replace the locks or something else?

Thanks for the help!!

Another question: the paint is chipped.  What's the best way to touch it up?

slotsteve:
find a new locksmith

ROCKET:
welcome aboard i see you recently signed on today .
PERHAPS ANOTHER FORUM WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET ..

the coincidence of a member of NLG"S who collects parking meters may have a offline chat with you ..
i never found talking to a mirror --that it answered back ???

StatFreak:
You could always drill out the lock that won't open and replace them with standard locks, if they will fit. If locksmiths are giving you hassles about the device, just take your own measurements and go to the locksmith empty handed. Tell him that you want two locks of a particular sized and length barrel and with tangs of your measured length, and install them yourself. That's what I would do.

channelmaniac:
Are they single sided keys? Double sided? Barrel type?

If they are simply single sided keys then you can pick them pretty easy. Use another paper clip or small screwdriver to put tension on the lock while you rake the tumblers with a second paper clip.

I learned that trick at a Christian college in Texas. Works great on tool boxes, arcade games, and other things you lose keys for.

Double sided locks and barrel locks get drilled out.

You can find some simple locks at Home Depot. Look for "mailbox locks" which work on many different types of games.

RJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page