Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Yellowish grime on front of EM's
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yellowish grime on front of EM's  (Read 6070 times)
brettno1
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 3

« on: December 28, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »

This is kind of an odd question but:  I've noticed that on a lot of EM's, there is a yellowish "grime" in the grooves on the front of the machine.  ( the grooves below the coin slot)  My assumption has always been that it was build up of cigarette smoke and dirt, but since I've seen it on virtually every machine (including one I own), I'm beginning to wonder if it's supposed to be there -  like it's actually a gold paint or something.  I want to remove it if it's grime, but not if it's paint.
lindam1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 168

When you're out of Quarters, You're done.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »

I'm gona bet it's cigarette smoke. i buy far newer machine and go through half a roll of paper towels cleaning smoke from each machine.

If it ain't broke....Stop trying to fix it.
CVslots
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

This is kind of an odd question but:  I've noticed that on a lot of EM's, there is a yellowish "grime" in the grooves on the front of the machine.  ( the grooves below the coin slot).  I'm beginning to wonder if it's supposed to be there -  like it's actually a gold paint or something.  I want to remove it if it's grime, but not if it's paint.

It is actually gold paint. The inset grooves were painted gold and the raised portions were left chrome. If it is in good shape, try and leave it, but sometimes it's scratched up or partially gone. I used to think it was grime too...but just soak it with soapy water or a mild cleaner and use a toothbrush. The grime will come off and the paint will be fine.

Roz wave

lindam1
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 168

When you're out of Quarters, You're done.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

Live and learn..........I love this place

If it ain't broke....Stop trying to fix it.
brettno1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »

Good to know, thanks.  Since mine has deteriorated to looking like grime, I might stop by a hobby store and get some gold paint and try to return it to it's former glory!
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

That may be a pretty good idea. I'm thinking like model paint would be good (not acrylic based paint). It's a matte metallic gold, not shiny. good luck and post pics of the finished product.  yes

Roz

brettno1

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

I was able to find some metallic gold model paint that looked very similar to what Bally had used.  Using a steady hand and a small paintbrush I was able to Make a decent attempt at restoring the paint.  It looks a lot better than it did before. propeller

* image.jpg (797.6 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 340 times.)

* image.jpg (870.81 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 344 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »

Looks really nice..  applause  How about a picture of the paint you used, so other can see if there local hobby shops might carry it..

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Thompy
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 14

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »

Super that looks really good applause, really think of doing mine now! Nerd

Good job! applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause
brettno1

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

Thanks guys.  This is what I used.  I bought it at HobbyTown USA.  The name of the paint Gold metallic.  MET 16 is Printed on the lid of the can.  The bottom label shows 16  A0179.  I bought mine at the store but I'm sure you can probably order it online as well.  Happy new year!

* image.jpg (526.69 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 327 times.)
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »

Wow what an improvement!  You can have a part time job painting the machines for the guys and gals on this list.  My hand is a little shaky. 

Ra
Jeff99
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 56

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »

How did Bally paint the chrome?  I just got my door parts back from the plater and need to paint them.  Did Bally paint the groves with a brush or did they use a different approach like spraying and wiping the high points? I think I will put this into the main forum as it is a good restoration topic.
Jeff

Jeff
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 105

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »

Thanks for posting this info. Very helpful for me. The original paint on both of my machines looked like rust and grime also.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.