Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  project 1
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: project 1  (Read 4918 times)
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« on: April 30, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

thought i would post this project up from day 1 if people didn`t mind, looking for comments positive/negative ideas suggestions or any comments at all.
i bought this about 6 months ago just got around to it.cabinet needs some cosmetic work.
reel tapes are poor and discoloured,reels spin but they do wobble a bit handle action is good and the reels stop well.
hopper is clean only 8 payouts ranging from 2p to 50p reel cards have 793 on them but suspect its a 742?
changer on top 10p for 5 x 2p the mains transformer has also been moved to the top the bottom has a cash draw added
the reel support plate is bent and catches the hopper when its pushed in coin mech missing takes 1p about the same size as a 1c
now on power up no 50 volt so replaced the fuse flicked coin in switch handle release coil worked
on a winning spin no payout
will post some pictures
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »

some pics cash box built into the bottom so they moved transformer to the top section the cash box on the left is for the top changer theres a tube runs down the back edge of the machine left side

* cash draw mod.jpg (274.21 KB, 2054x1274 - viewed 205 times.)

* top view mod_edited-1.jpg (399.22 KB, 2178x1986 - viewed 238 times.)
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »

a clue to the first problem of the payout not working

* penny star 240.jpg (1930.67 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 211 times.)
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »

1 more pic where they moved the transformer to the top

* penny star top box mod.jpg (549.02 KB, 3202x1883 - viewed 221 times.)
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »

Sounds fun.  Here's a link that might give you some ideas on your reel support plate.  Or not...
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=20192.0
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

thanks reno for the post on the plate
bally i dared to presume with you,the white wire is indeed 240v so i took it off the back of the hopper plug and moved it to what i thought was the correct terminal  Silly Me!
another trip to the fuse box.
mulled this problem over over night and decided to phone a friend after a few suggestions back and forth friend pointed out that this was originally indeed a penny star and was originally
a solenoid payout which you can see clearly now when you look at the door  the reel strips are original and are in poor condition though.
so went back to it after it came to me with a few pointers from friend between white and black is 120v  although white to ground or red is 240v
so re soldered white wire back to where it was measured between white and black 120v so put hopper back in
gave it a few spins a cherry hit, hopper payed out 2 coins  applause
so now its paying out  Cry Laughing no its not but will post that tomorrow as it goes from good to bad to worse!!!
OldReno

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »

Need more pics for sure.  Is this machine from overseas where they use 240?
And I've never heard of 240 between hot and case ground, but then I've never heard a lot of things.
Be real careful if you've got hot to case.  One hand in the pocket rule....
Don't be resting one arm on the door while you're poking at wires.
Do some V measurements on your coils and lights.
And, more pics of this classic, please.
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

yes reno i am overseas im in england trouble is most machines are 742 or conversions of , the variety of ballys available is limited i was once offered a reel deal  but turned it down Silly Me!
hence the reason i dont post much on the multicoin slot problems because we just dont see many of them what we do see is an amazing amount of conversions will post some pics of the outside of the machine soon
so back to the problem in hand it was paying fine when i went to bed back in there next day few spins then set it to pay 10 the hopper jams got a switch off quick because theres no timing motor.
pulled hopper to see the jam coins getting caught on the edge of the beginniung of the exit plate so partial dismantle manage to get the pin wheel to sit forward that bit extra we are back in business applause
play machine for awhile hopper pays on all wins now were cooking with gas!!!!
what next ? i know lets see why its not giving change? flick switch manually nothing hold jumper across terminals pays out 10 this is easy stuff so its gotta be the switch take said switch out the change mech (whilst machine off ) operate little lever, here switch clicking , must of been put in wrong, lets test it ,power on flick switch hopper spits 10 coins all over the floor damn must use tray to catch them, give it another go relay at the back starts chattering louder and louder ending in the biggest fkin bang this side of helmund smoke pouring out the top of the machine
well after several minutes it cleared its only blown capacitor wired across the relay no markings left on it so i switched off and went in  Cry Laughing
will face it again once i sorted where it came from and what vaue it is!!!!

* The switch.jpg (216.82 KB, 1290x1472 - viewed 217 times.)
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »

thats the cap sat on the transformer it was connected to the end relay on the right

* Relay 3.jpg (536.32 KB, 2495x1799 - viewed 208 times.)
OldReno

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

Some friends built a change unit on a Bally back in the 70's, and when you put in an Ike dollar, it lit up the 10 coin pay on payboard and gave 10 nickels.  I don't remember if you had to play machine or not to get the hopper to reset.???  They probably did put in a reset tho'.
Be careful with that cap, it's probably polarized and new one needs to be put in the right way...
Pretty scary boom, eh?
Do you have that plugged into a power strip so you can switch it off quickly?
I'm surprised there's no safety time motor.
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »

its been awhile but with the nice weather at the weekend thought i would enjoy the sun but like a fool burnt my swede (head)
now its turned cold again!!!!!
managed to replace the capacitor i`m sure it was in series with a  diode across the relay coil terminal 10, terminal 2 being the 50 volt side
i like these modern capacitors, blew with just a gentle puff of smoke coming out
so back to the drawing board this change feature uses 4 relays am trying to draw circuit out but im not the greatest at drawing
but will be back soon with loads of questions at the mo coin in switch works ,releases handle but no payouts on win line so not to bad
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »

back to this
thought i would sort the machine first before the changer as its not blowing the mains anymore
job 1 check payouts all fine to the jackpot a whopping 50 coins it never stopped paying out.
switched off, reset, filled hopper, set jackpot, never stopped paying out
out with the hopper, multimeter lets check whats happening
well  Cry Laughing this surely never worked properly since someone modified it!!!
if you look at the two photos the 50 pay is top left as the arm counts round just as it runs off the 50 pay at the bottom as it should so the arm up the top energises it again so it never loses the 50 volt

* hopper_penny[1]_edited-2.jpg (482.92 KB, 2049x2017 - viewed 204 times.)

* hopper_penny_1[1].jpg (417.58 KB, 1945x1924 - viewed 199 times.)
mark the spark
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »

well things are sorted pays out fine pays 50 and then stops (i just bent the finger up so it dont make contact)
took out the capacitor on the coin change circuit reconnected without it and this is now working fine
just some cosmetic things left to do some new locks and the sides to glue on
do you think i should fit a timing motor its never had one ?
only issue is coinage are coins are changing to steel nickel plated and all these old mechs are set for bronze it means altering the mechs to accept any coin although coin controls sent me a great download for the s10 coin acceptors would like to add it to the sticky at the top  on coin mechs
will post some pics and then on to the next project i have 3 to choose from 1 is the very first machine i bought which requires a hopper motor among other things a 27 ways to win hold after win machine
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.