Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Hopper problems EM 1081-6H - repaired!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hopper problems EM 1081-6H - repaired!!!  (Read 6488 times)
rjpohl
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 103

« on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »

I have a Medalist machine that had a few minor issues that I was able to work through and get the slot to accept coins, reels spin and stop as they should.
Problem:  The hopper continues to run, I have filled and refilled the hopper but it continues to pay out.  I was playing machine and there was cherry on reel one and it started to payout but never stops.

If someone can help me with this it would be great , if not are there any members who repair them?

thanks
Bob

* EM1081-6H-a.JPG (145.86 KB, 800x600 - viewed 280 times.)

* EM1081-6H-C.JPG (174.96 KB, 600x800 - viewed 267 times.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:46:27 PM by rjpohl » Logged

Neonkiss
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »

Does the spiral cam step up with each coin payout?
If not check the knife and see that the exiting coin pushes up on the roller and steps up the counter on the spiral cam with each coin.

Also note that the Beau Plug is a 70 pin connector and impossible to get. So be careful with that connector.
I think your issue is with the coins not being counted as they roll off the knife and exit the machine.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
rjpohl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »

The coins do ride up the knife and they do move the roller up once for every coin.  The hopper usually times out after a minute of so and once or twice it actually did compete a payoff.  When this happens it will accept coins and play fine until it hits a payoff.  I can't see where the plastic gears move at all while hopper is paying out.

Neonkiss

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »

Check to see if the wiper fingers are moving when paying off.
If you pull the hopper, you can simulate the exiting coin by pushing up on the roller or pushing down on the linkage. Where the wiper finger touch on the payout circuit board is printed with the number of coins. see if the numbers match. Then familiarize yourself with the reset solenoid on the bottom. It pulls in and pulls the linkage to reset the spiral cam back to zero.  At that point the zero stop switch should open by why looks like a mini flipper from a pinball game.

Manually step it up a few times and zero it back out so you can see how it work. Then see if it works the same way when installed in a machine. Adjustments can be made so when the coin exits off the knife the movement to the linkage is enough to ratchet the gear one tooth. If the adjustment is too low you will see the linkage move but it's not enough to ratchet the gear. If this happens the wiper fingers never move off the start position and the hopper continues to run until the run-a-way hopper timer times out. Then you get the red neon light and have to manually reset the timer.

It's going to be hard to see the proper operation of that section of the hopper when it's installed in the machine. I use extension cables to run the equipment outside of the cabinet. However with your machine that hopper has a 70 pin Beau plug and I don't know anyone with that extension cable. You can always power down the machine and pull the hopper to inspect the position of the wiper fingers to see where they stepped up to. The reset solenoid should not reset until the next play.
I have only found one machine where the solenoid resets immediately after the payout and that's the Bally Classic.

Also check to see that all your coins are the same size. I re-read your post and it looks like some of the coins are being counted. Most likely the larger ones.

rjpohl

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »

Update:
the wiper fingers do not move while the hopper is running and paying coins out.
the middle meter on the back wall advances 1 for each coin that the hoppers pays out.
there is no movement on the wipers/gear etc.
the coil on the base of the hopper is pulled in.
if I manually operate the solenoid by hand it advances the gear/wipers,the payout is completed and hopper stops running

rjpohl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »

Fixed!!!!!
I found that the pins on hopper dirty, scrapped clean and it is working beautifully now.

Thanks Neon for help in understanding how it works.

Neonkiss

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »

Fixed!!!!!
I found that the pins on hopper dirty, scrapped clean and it is working beautifully now.

Thanks Neon for help in understanding how it works.

What pins on the hopper were dirty?
Congratulations on the repair. The EM machines are different animals and I love the engineering that went into them.

rjpohl

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »

The large plug on the rear of the hopper.   I think you called it a beau 70 pin.  The pins are flat I noticed that had a build up of corrosion on them.  Scrapped them off and the solenoid started to pull in.  Great slot,  wonder what it's worth?

Neonkiss

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »

The large plug on the rear of the hopper.   I think you called it a beau 70 pin.  The pins are flat I noticed that had a build up of corrosion on them.  Scrapped them off and the solenoid started to pull in.  Great slot,  wonder what it's worth?

I've always wanted one.
Had a chance to get one here locally that was advertised on ebay. I met the seller and went to look at the machine. He asked if I fixed them and I said yes. He then had me follow him to another warehouse where he had tonnage... He told me he had to be out of that location by the end of the week. I took some time off work and helped him out with clearing out the warehouse. The deal was I could take what I wanted.
I pushed so many machines out the back of a truck that week and watched them smash to the ground at the dump. IT KILLED ME TO SEE THE MACHINES DISTROYED. I has so much stuff I couldn't take anything more and I want home sore every night. Long story short, I forgot to watch the auction at closing and lost the Medelist machine to another bidder. To add insult to injury the next day I had to help him load up the machine and deliver it to the buyers shipping company. The buyer is a member here and I don't think I ever told him that side of the story before.

* 031509_12391.jpg (101.79 KB, 640x480 - viewed 280 times.)

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:20:10 AM »

So how much are they worth?
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:25:34 AM »

So how much are they worth?

It's so hard to price some of these machines.. Location is a big part. I know I'd price it at $500-$600 here in Michigan, but I would be sitting on it for a long time. I'd love to own one, only seen them on line. It would fit it nice with my 3 MGM Ballys & my Money Honey.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
rjpohl

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »

Thanks for the input on the value.  I was repairing it for a guy and he asked what I thought it was worth.  I know some of these older Bally get rather expensive.  Is there any published that puts a value on the older machines?

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »

Just my 2 cents on price... 

There seems to be a lot of factors including but not limited to the general economy, physical condition of the machine, functionality of the machine, point of purchase/ private seller or retailer, scarcity of the machine, location/region of the country where the machine is located, desire of the buyer.

The Medallist, although produced for the domestic market is not exactly common.  I own one and I find that this game constantly gets a lot of positive attention.

Your mileage may vary.

Ra
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »

Thanks for the input on the value.  I was repairing it for a guy and he asked what I thought it was worth.  I know some of these older Bally get rather expensive.  Is there any published that puts a value on the older machines?

Nothing that I know of..

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.