Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally Continental 847 Reels Shake not spin new member please help
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally Continental 847 Reels Shake not spin new member please help  (Read 66924 times)
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 105

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »

Am I missing a spacer here on the left on the shaft?

* image.jpg (183.15 KB, 640x1136 - viewed 164 times.)
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »

I just noticed these are getting stuck from returning also

* image.jpg (1565.06 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 167 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »

I don't think your missing any spacers.. If some of the levers are still sticking, you might have to re-oil then. I've have a couple machines over the year that were really gummed up from sitting a lack of oil. If they don't move freely on the shaft, then your slot won't work right..

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »

K88 sounds like you're getting along fine.  Here's a link with some misc. stuff, and also, near the end of thread is the link for a manual you can download.

Sorry, I see I forgot the link;

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=23910.0
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:28:35 PM by OldReno » Logged
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »

I removed the shaft that holds the reel wiper arms and oiled it and also all the parts that slide onto it. Thanks for the help guys. I filed down the slits the wiper arms slide into beacaise they were getting stuck on return. I did a test spin with no reels in it and it still makes a loud clank but nothing seems to be sticking. When I get home ill put the reels back in and give it a shot ill take a look at that manual thanks again. I also removed and gunk I could see ill spray it with some more Teflon oil before I give it another try hopefully it will work I hope.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »

The link isn't showing up on my phone ill try the computer. Do you guys know if the lights in the center of the feature glass are supposed to be on or are they just supposed to flash then you win that coin amount.?
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 11:32:53 PM »

100% with the working on the kitchen table. Remove the reels from the frame and check all arms and levers located under them. Use a solvent like mineral spirits or an aerosol solvent. Making sure all joints that are supposed to move freely do. I agree that this is a mechanical problem and you will need to work on the basic metal connections using an xacto blade to scrape off old dried grease. Use a white lithium grease or even petroleum jelly to lubricate. The jelly is what I use on the old Mills and Jennings ect... slots I restore and haven't had a problem with them drying out. This is an easy fix compared to an issue with the wiring problems this machine can have.

The Fatman   formally known as

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:42:02 PM by The Fatman » Logged

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »

Thanks for the support Fatman. This site is great. I'm gonna keep going at it. I got new reel glass and lock so some bulbs today
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »

Great ... I will help whenever I can. You can reach me also by phone I have listed at my website for the pottery I make. Fatmanspottery.com
Call if you need to .
Dave

OldReno

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:02 PM »

Dear Fatman, did you get your issues resolved, or no?
If not, post on your old thread and we'll have at it.
XOXOXO.
 To K-88, sounds like you got some good mechanical capabilities.  You can lube most everything and then lube it again in a couple of days, and you may find parts that now move.   If you pull the reels you can kick the mechanism by pushing on the pump arm with your palm.  You can stop spin and index by stopping the fan clock.  Please follow my links on troubleshooting for more, as it may save you some time in the long run.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »

OldReno .... pretty much... bell ringing I feel is an older JP type machine which needs a coin drop to stop the bell. Thanks for your dedicated help for me.

K-88 .... you now have met the best around (OldReno) for help in any EM issue you might have. He has posted a lot of logs about issues and repairs that you can look thru and find a fix for virtually any problem that an EM might have.
 applause

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2013, 01:03:04 AM »

Thank you for the introduction! I'm pleased to get even more help here. After what I tried the machine is still not spinning. I'm going to look at the information you gave and see if I can figure it out...again. At least those parts are cleaned and I have alot more understanding of the reel mechanism. Is there video posting on here? Right now the lever wasn't pulling again so I hit the coil that will unlock the lever and than pulled the lever and the reels shook real hard again I took a picture of my half gears to see if anything looked wrong but I need to get on my computer and look at the manuals. Thanks again for all the help!

* image.jpg (1346.8 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 156 times.)
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 02:21:50 AM »

Vey possible that the adjustment nut on the arm with the spring coming from the back side of the white plastic cylinder on the right side of the reel bundle. There is a lever that when you pull the handle, it moves and activates the mech until it gets to the end of its stroke and slips off what I call the operating dog. A small lever that when it is moved and slips off the actuating lever, slams down and causes the mech to make the reels spin. If this is out of adjustment it will release early and not really have enough power to fully spin the relels. I can make a small video to show this but not tonight, OldReno might have done this already somewhere and can point you to it. Take a small video of the reels shaking if you can. i have learned that the quickest way to a solution is to post a picture or a link to a video of the problem.

Call if you can .. I will be around on the fourth if you need.
dave

OldReno

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »

If you push back your reel index wiper arm, will the reel spin?  See this, about 5th post down...  http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=19336.0
Also this  http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=23910.0 for misc stuff.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »

Yes when I push back on the wipers the reel will spin. I'm going to try and loosen the nut on the end of the black spring on the right side of reel mech. Fatman told me to try adjusting this for the spin hopefully it does the trick. Thanks for the links very helpful info. Happy 4th of July guys!
OldReno

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

With the mech out, and the reels removed, try kicking the mechanism with the palm of your right hand on the pump arm (white cylinder).
You should see each of the reel index arms fall back across the reel boards, and also your kickers should dip down in preparation to kick the reel discs and make them spin.  As you push all the way, they should kick, and then the index arms should fall forward one at a time as the clock unwinds.
Hope that makes some sense.
Did this machine kick right when you first got it?
OldReno

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »

PS, before you start moving the nut on the black spring, make sure you count how many threads you see at the end of the shaft, and it would not hurt to count how many turns you make so that you can eventually come back to home position.  There's a thread somewhere here about adjusting that shaft, hope someone remembers where it is....
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »

No it didn't work right since I got it. So far every time except a few it has just made a clunk and the reels shook around a little bit. Thanks for the tip I will count how far I move the nut.
OldReno

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »

Did anything happen when you tried reply#65 above?
You can see what is happening if you play it with the reels out.
You should see index arms fall back, and latch back, and the kickers should move down and then pop up.
The index arms should STAY back until the clock and fan releases them.
Is it doing that?

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »

The index arms are not staying back. They are going back and then coming forward at the same time the kick reels are. I adjusting the nut it was 2 threads from the end when I started. I loosened it and did a test spin with the reels in and out. When they were in it did not spin but the kick reels appeared to work because they went off in a row from 1-4. When I put the mechanism back into the machine it still did not spin so I tightened the nut and than the lever would get stuck down each time I used a gardening stick to release it on the inside. I loosened i tried a few adjustments on that nut and still did not work I did notice though one of my reels wobbles a bit compared to the rest and the cast I think star piece that has four screws on that one is pretty wore out. One of the screws were missing I noticed last night and the holes are rather banged out. Don't know if this affects alot but it wobbles against the wiper arms some when I pull them back to spin the reel. It was on the first reel and I moved it to the third last night I took it apart to inspect it again a little bit ago.
OldReno

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »

K88, you need to go here and download the Bally EM Manual, it's 33MB. in size
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=97
It will help us all talk.
On pages 96, 97, and 98 are probably pictures of what we need.
On pic 98, the part #25 latch pawl assembly, is what holds the wipers up out of the way so the reels can freely spin. It latches them back.
With the reels removed from the reel mech, you can look down into the mech as you slowly pull the handle and see if they are engaging or not.  You can see how it works.
I can actually hear the 3 or 4 clicks that tell you it works as the handle is pulled.

A good place to start  AFTER you move those nuts on the black spring back to where they were before you dicked with them.
Sorry, just my humor.
Also, look at page 91 and tell me if the fan part #34 spins after you pull the handle. A loose fan will give you no reel spin, btw, or very short spin at best.
Don't worry about your reel wobble, that comes as you finish up and fine tune your project.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »

Thanks Reno I appreciate the help and humor you old bastard I'm just kidding! I'm going to get to that manual so u can get my language right after I cool these burgers. Just 3 so it won't take long. The fan spins. It doesn't appear that anything is holding the wipers back they go back than forward instantly.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »

I looked at the manual and located the latch pawl and I tried test spinning it with the reels out and the mechanism out and the latch pawl moves back but the wiper arms so not stay back. I looked at the diagram and the only part I'm missing is the piece of foam or nylon that goes into the spring I'm not sure if that is needed. Should I try test spinning it in the machine with no reels? I'm gonna keep checking for grimy areas and cleaning and oiling it and trying to figure out what's going wrong. Happy fourth goodnight
OldReno

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »

By all means play around with the reels taken out and see how the mech operates.  As the wiper arms fall back, the latch pawls are supposed to lock each reel wiper back out of index position.  Make sure the shaft that holds your lock pawls is absolutely clean, spray it with some WD and get any gunk out. 
Only when the wiper arms are fully pulled out of the way, and latched, will the reels themselves be able to spin.  Like when you pushed back on the wiper assy, you could spin the reels by hand.
The latch pawls disengage as the clock unwinds (while reels spin), and one by one get released and allow the index arms to fall forward into the reel discs and that gives you your selection of pays on your wiper board positions.  Hope this makes some sense.
OldReno

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

Try this:
With the reels taken out, push back on your #2 reel wiper arm.  You should see while you do that how the latch pawl works with the bottom section of the wiper arm.  It will almost all by itself latch the wiper arm back.  If you push up on the linkages just a little bit more, you should be able to lock it in place. 
Anyway play with it and see if you can figure out the mechanics of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.