Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally Continental 847 Reels Shake not spin new member please help
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally Continental 847 Reels Shake not spin new member please help  (Read 66842 times)
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 105

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »

Right on thanks Reno. Ill give that a try I got some power blast cleaner it says will remove gunk really good it was in the gun cleaning aisle of Walmart this morning and some more rem oil. Fatman told me about the cleaner and Barry at foxsslots recommended the Teflon oil. I will clean it up again and than oil it again. The previous owner did say it was left outside for some time. Hopefully this might help the mechanism work properly.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »

Old Reno ... I mentioned to check the operation of all the linkage. He seemed to let me know that the mech is got a good bit of old grease. Talked to him on the phone and suggested PB Blaster to dissolve the old grease a bit and to check movement by hand to assure movement. I wish I could reach thru the phone to do it for him so he can see what I was talking about. We all started somewhere. ... I feel he will get this figured out since it is all mechanical.

Good luck and I will keep watching and learning.
 The not so Fatman anymore American Flag

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »

Cool.
Oil it.
Move all the working parts.  Let it set awhile.
Oil it again.  Let it set.  work all parts.
Should work after that, eh?
Nothing should stick.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2013, 02:22:49 AM »

I got it sitting out in the backyard on top of a milk crate with newspaper under it I sprayed a whole can of this powder blast break free gun cleaner which isn't the same as the pb blaster not so far anymore said I thought he was drunk and meant the same thing as powder blast but I guess I underestimated his professionalism! I'm going to let it sit with this over night maybe a day and than get a can of the PB blaster NSFAM said to get and spray it down again. I noticed it looking cleaner already. After the next cleaning it should be tits. I'm sure these things gotta be super clean which makes sense with all the moving parts. Than after its clean I'm planning on using rem oil and maybe white lithium grease for the clock gears as Fatman suggested. I will refer to the downloaded manual to see if there are any lubrication instructions. If you guys have any thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all the help!
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »

Status update: I worked the wiper arms and parts around and at first the wiper arm would start to lock back and than it would not. I'm going to clean it again as planned it seems to be working.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:12 AM »

Who did you think was drunk?
Keep on working all the linkage until it all moves freely.
If you use the while LG ... dont put it on heavy, just enough to get onto the metal.
Let us know .... especially who you thought was drunk.   love whiskey

The non drunk Fatman

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »

Haha I like the little beer smiley. I thought you were talking about the same stuff as the powder blast was jk about being drunk no offense. I can tell by the little face in love with the brew you may have been though now that I think of it it was 4th of July not many days better for a drink! Cheers
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »

Pb blast sounds like a new Reese's candy to me
Neonkiss
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »

If you guys have any thoughts it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all the help!

If you use any of those heavy degreasers in the can, they will eat into the plastic reel strips. Be sure to remove the reel bundle when doing this type of cleaning. The wiring and connectors will all be fine and the degreasers will not affect those plastics or the phenolic material with the brass contact points. I learned this the hard way with a destroyed set of reel strips.

After cleaning be sure to lube the gears of the clock. This grease will actually slow the clock to normal speed. With no grease on the gears the clock runs too fast and the reel will lock shortly after the handle is pulled, not allowing for the longer proper reel spin time.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »

Thanks for your input Neonkiss! That sounds tragic to lose your reel strips to cleaner those bastards. I have my reels safely put in a homers work bucket (home depot) thanks for looking out though. The reel mech looks really dried out after the can of cleaner I put on it I'm still going to give it another cleaning with pb blaster soon just have to go to the store. I really hope to get this working. All the help from you guys is great I most likely would have messed it up bad without help.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »

I sprayed a whole can of pb blaster I'm going to get another can and spray that on it too it is alot grimer than I thought. After this first can the first wiper arm would catch some when pulled back but ceased to after a short while.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »

The key to freeing up parts, is not to drown them in solvent, but to spray them a little. Then working the stuck mech by hand if possible to assist the solvent into the linkage. I have never seen a machine that ever had to use a whole can of spray, or even half a can. Use the little red tube to direct it right where you want it to go.
Be sure to work the linkage to help the solvent do its job.
 Silly Me!
The Fatman

David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »

BTW .... another idea for you to try to remove the extra grease built up, use a toothbrush to rub around the linkage. Make sure the solvent your using doesn't dissolve the bristles. I have a 4 reel mech just for messing with so I can take some pics and videos I can post that will help you in your project. You can call tonight to let me know the progress you have made.   chat

The Fatman

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »

I sprayed another bottle on it I just now saw your messages from last night. I found out that when I set the mechanism off by lifting the trip lever assy. the mechanism works fine. the wiper arms go back and lock into place and in order they release. but when I set it off by pushing the rod into the plastic cylinder it doesn't work properly the wiper arms do not lock back and it makes the same loud noise as if something is slipping off. maybe I have a problem with the way the gear assembly is on there? I tried a few adjustments with the drive shaft and that made no difference but as I said it does set and go off properly when I engadge the mechanism by lifting up on the trip lever assembly. btw after I put the other can of pb blast I put on my safety glasses and took my compressor and blew it off really good. Thanks for the help hopefully im almost there with this thing as far as this part goes.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »

Here is a shot of the gear assembly.

* image.jpg (1028.77 KB, 1972x2047 - viewed 215 times.)
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

After reading some more of the trouble shooting manual I tried adjusting the stop bracket and walaaaa my reels are a spinnin! At first when out back in the machine the lever would get stuck but after a few adjustments of the stop bracket it would pull and release and the reels spin and stop! Thanks everyone for all of your help on this! You guys are awesome and deserve to hear it. I started dismantling the inside of the door some but I think I'm putting it back together so I can try it with the power on. I still need to oil this baby up.
Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »

Now that the reels are spinning when I drop a coin in it is not releasing the lever. I just get a click from the fifth coil down on the left behind the feature board. The coin op was working properly at first.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:28 AM »

With all the handling of the assembly.... its very possible that the switches located on the sides could be knocked out of adjustment. Make sure the switch blades that are to be closed when the mast are making contact and that the ones that should be normally open, are and close when they should. Adjusting these can be tricky with out a switch blade adjustment tool. You can use a dart shaft that holds the flights with a little help. It will fit a switch blade and can twist to adjust it open or closed. Make sure that they are right by triggering them with the mech out of the machine ... no power. You also can manually reset the hopper and the coin advance relay if needed. I am sure there are other things for you to check but this will be a good start. Glad to hear your making progress. I have just got home from work so you can call now .... I did get your message a few minutes ago.
 applause
The Fatman

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:53 AM »

Hey Fatman just got your message about to go to sleep its around midnight here. I think I know what blades you are talking about on the left side of the reel assembly? I also noticed it does look like the coin relay on the left side of the mech may have a broken wire. I read the trouble shooting guide and it says the continental has a reset at the top right corner but that button turns the lights on the feature board on meaning this is a door close switch also like the one at bottom? It also said to take the bottom wire on the lower door close button and put it at top with the other wire. Should I put both wires on the same terminal at top or put the wire on the other open terminal at the top of the door close switch. I had just used a zip tie to keep the upper right switch that turns the feature lights on because the door isn't hitting it when closed. I'm glad we got those reels to spin I forgot to mention that I adjusted the lower gear assembly one notch clockwise as the manual says to solve the problem of the lever getting stuck down. I'm sure the complete 3,4,5 reel manual will have pics that will be very helpful. I'm really glad I'm making some progress on this machine I'm sure it is going to need alot of adjustments for it to work 100% but that's the fun of it. Thanks for the help guys
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »

Thanks .... I should be sleeping as well .... just cant do it. Mind is running around. OldReno will be the best for these issues now. The basics on the mech I could help with but Reno has so much more knowledge on the continental than I do. I am sure you are well on your way. I have not worked on the continental but the 831's and the 809's wheel operation are basically the same as to the mechanics. Glad to hear the old grease is leaving and the linkage is now starting to move as designed.
Keep in touch and call anytime.
The Fatman ... kinda

OldReno
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »

K88, your picture, (reply 89) shows your half gears.  You are one tooth off.  The back gear needs to drop down one.  This is liable to affect all your adjustments, and your kick and spin.  You may be kicking before the wipers have time to latch back....
Will get into your other posts here later, but have some things to do and I don't have time to read right now.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »

You asked about a capacitor or solenoid in a picture???  Scratch Head  .... what I see is a ballast and a starter (silver looking can shaped item)
These are used for the lighting of the fluorescent bulbs. There usually is one of each for each tube used.

The Fatman

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »

I don't remember asking about a solenoid which one?
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:28 AM »

Go to page 1 reply 21 Scratch Head

Karliesdad88
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:15 AM »

Old Reno, I adjusted the lower half gear one tooth clockwise like the trouble shooting manual said after that picture was taken. it solved the problem I was having of the lever getting stuck after being pulled. now that the reels are spinning the odds reset coil in the feature board is clicking when I hit the coin switch. both coin accepted and insert coin lights are now coming on after dicking around with it before they didn't.

another question I had was the bottom door close switch works the counter below when the coin hopper is removed now after I got a stuck quarter out of the hopper. the top door close switch doesn't work with the door closed so I used a zip tie to secure it.

in the trouble shooting manual it says the 847 has a reset at the top right? it seems like it is a door close button because when its pushed in the feature board lights come on? before I got the reels to spin the coin switch would activate the lever but now it is not. I checked the wire on the side of the reel mech to the coin relay coil and they seem to be connected.

last question for now is the jackpot reset key should be turned to the right to reset and than back to the left?

Thanks for your help!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.