Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally Continental
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally Continental  (Read 10894 times)
cre8tive
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »

I have owned this Bally SuperContinental  for about 3 years. It has worked perfectly until a few months ago when suddenly it stopped paying out when you land on even a cherry! Any suggestions to what could be wrong? My husband tried a few suggestions such as cleaning contacts and also something about a rubber piece in the hopper. I have tried locating a slot machine repairman but no one in my area is available. I would like to get this running again. All I do now is dust it....HELP

Thank you,
Newbie at this site.
Christina
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »

Does the machine let you play after it lands on a winning combo and it doesn't pay?  Do you have pictures of your machine you can post (outside and inside photos).  Have you checked the fuses?

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »

Check the zero stop switch on the back of the hopper.
If it's been a while since you played it, they will stick.
Their are two types, One is an off set cam and the other looks like a pencil eraser. They tend to get melted and the switch sticks.

When I'm done playing my machines, I stop after a payout. This way that switch is not sitting on the stop where it can get stuck.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
cre8tive
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »

I am sorry to say you are dealing with someone who is so unfamiliar with the way a slot works. But.....I have some photos! I also looked at both places you all have suggested. The 9 o'clock position doesnt' appear to have anything stuck.  Again I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. As for the reply from NeonKiss: I checked the back and did see what appears to be a cam. the cam moved smoothly and it seemed to move a gear which in turn moved the quarter container. As for a rubber that looked like an eraser in the 9o'clock position I found two places with what appears to be a rubber bumper. Both of these do not appear to be "stuck". Tell me if this is a lost cause and just pay the mega bucks to have it shipped somewhere to be fixed. I'm a big girl and can take it. :-)

* Bally Super Continental.JPG (996.53 KB, 1704x2272 - viewed 1006 times.)

* Hopper2 .JPG (987.7 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 501 times.)
Op-Bell
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:54:51 AM »

I'm a big girl and can take it. :-)
What's your location, big girl? Maybe someone reading this is near enough to help you out. We have some information available for this machine, ie what contacts to look at. The place I'd start is the center section of the 'C' switch, that's a horizontal switch stack on the left hand side of the main mech. It probably has on it a brown wire and a gray-red wire. It should be closed when the machine is at rest - it opens and cuts the current to the payout circuits during the game. You can clean these contacts by wetting a piece of brown paper with alcohol and rubbing it between the closed contacts. If that doesn't do it, you may be able to follow the wires to the next contact, etc, until you arrive at an orange or yellow wire, which are the ends of the line.

Looks like a nice clean machine!
cre8tive
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »

Thanks for the great info! I am going to follow your directions and hope I am successful. If not I will be back asking for more information! This is the best website ever! I live in Sprinfield Missouri, so if you know anyone within a 3 hour drive that is qualified to repair let me know. I bought this machine from a couple in Naples Florida for $400. I have really enjoyed it as all of my friends and family that come over. They too miss playing it!

Christina
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »

if i am seeing the hopper wipers correctly - they wipers are the top of the wiper board - if so - then the hopper has not reset - hence no payouts!!! - either the zero stop switch is not making good contact - the reset coil is no good (doubtful) or ??   to get by for now  press down on the reset coil plunger (located just behind the top left as you face the hopper as pictured.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »

if i am seeing the hopper wipers correctly - they wipers are the top of the wiper board - if so - then the hopper has not reset - hence no payouts!!!

Nice catch Barry,
I thought the same thing, but when I looked at it again I also notices that the zero stop is up by the front (Right-hand side looking from the back)
All of my machines have that switch towards the back. (Left-hand side looking from the back)
Since this was also different I figured those wipers were not in the same configuration as other machines for the Continental

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Op-Bell

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

What he said ^^^^^^

I noticed it was back to front, but didn't make the intuitive leap that therefore the wipers should be at the top.

We'd be looking at the small leaf switch on the right in the hopper picture, then. That's the zero stop switch that opens the circuit to the reset coil when the wipers are home.

cre8tive
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »

Ok....you guys are definitely pros at this. My husband wants to get just a couple of definitions from you.

Zero Switch-

Wipers-

Thanks,
Christina

Op-Bell

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »

Here you are...

* wipers.jpg (102.08 KB, 800x503 - viewed 411 times.)
cre8tive
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »

You can not imagine how much this is going to help us! I appreciate the time everyone is taking to help me fix my Super Continental!
Christina
cre8tive
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »

I took a better photo of the hopper. The number on the inside of my Super Continental says 891-18 and these photos might help to see if what your telling me the zero switch is and wipers are one and the same on my hopper.....your photo looks different in some ways.

Not giving up...
Christina

* Zero Switch.JPG (982.69 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 360 times.)

* Bally Switch 2.JPG (994 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 369 times.)
Op-Bell

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »

The wipers are not visible in your picture. They're at about 3 o clock, under the metal plate. The zero switch is circled.

On the other side of the metal plate is a ratchet wheel and two solenoids. One is the step-up coil, the other is the reset coil. They both work a metal linkage on the ratchet wheel. From the angle you took your photo I can't see where they are, but usually, the reset coil is at the bottom near the base, armature facing back. At the top should be the curved metal lever I outlined in the other pic. If you press down on this, it's the same as operating the reset coil. The hopper will rapidly unwind and return the wipers to the start position. If it doesn't return, the problem is probably mechanical - the rotor is stuck.

* cre8tive.jpeg (76.16 KB, 800x600 - viewed 322 times.)

* lever.jpg (152.39 KB, 1000x669 - viewed 355 times.)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »

where did that hopper come from - its all ass backwards!!! I have never seen someone put the wiper upside down - other than to keep the wiper board wiring from getting caught in the cabinet during removal -there is no logical explanation. 
Op-Bell

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

Look at the wiring harness Barry, it was made that way in the factory. I agree it's unusual, but you couldn't mount the PCB the other way up because the wiring won't allow it.
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »

i still doubt Bally would have done that - there manufacturing did things one way and one way only - all there documenation ditto. SOMEBODY did this outside of Bally!!  In any case - if it works - so be it - problem at hand - the machine that needs fixing still has a zero stop problem - upside down or not.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.