Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Solder Flux
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solder Flux  (Read 14055 times)
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »

The acid or rosin core solders are designed for small electrical jobs .

As noted earlier, one should never use acid core solder on electronics. no

Not to split hairs ( BUT ) electrical and electronics are two different animals

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »

Not to split hairs ( BUT ) electrical and electronics are two different animals

Ok. One should not use acid core solder on anything electical.  wave
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »

Why do you guys bother with flux? For the last 15+ years I've just used a 60 40 rosin core solder and haven't had any problems. Thousands upon thousands of solder connections over those years. Just curious Scratch Head

Because it makes soldering a lot eaiser. Plus there is less chance of doing damage from overheating the component as the flux will make the solder flow so much better. And of course because it just makes a better solder connection. 'Back in the day' I was NASA certified for soldering and we were required to use flux.  

IPC-610 says it has to be flux. Actually it depends what you are soldering, if you are repairing a slot then it is not important, if you are repairing F16 or doing something for NASA, it is important. Target class as per IPC610 is very hard to achieve with paste, and if your work does not comply, then the repaired item cannot be used in systems which are responsible for human lives.

Liquid +1   My son works for Northrup Grummen on defense items building and repairing circuit boards and that is all he is allowed to use. So I use it too..but both work. I just have the stuff he is use to on my bench for when he comes over and works on something. Like this connector I having him replace

* 0907121858.jpg (744.06 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 300 times.)

* 0907121904a.jpg (807.17 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 286 times.)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »

The liquid stuff works ok, but I prefer paste because it's easier to use the solder (which is in one had and the iron in the other) to dab into it, then having to put one or the other down to pick up the liquid dispenser bottle. When soldering a lot of components, joints, etc. that can get old really fast.
Apache
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 04:20:40 AM »

Hi Techs,
    There are different solder flux for different works, you guys have to check data sheets. For example, Regular "Radioshack" solder flux should good for non-tech cable soldering, but not for SMD IC components, neither BGA ttth. BGA solder flux is an "special flux" , it keeps all BGA balls neat in order, if use a different flux the soldering start making mess lightning bolt and shorting the IC. loser Most important is temperature of work and density of Solder flux.
    Good luck.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.