Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Removing Reel Glass Artwork?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removing Reel Glass Artwork?  (Read 10829 times)
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »

I recently broke a 3 reel glass to an alpha machine, the glass is trash Silly Me! Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! , but the artwork is still in one piece. Has anyone successfully removed the artwork mylar type film and transfered it to new glass or plexi? If so how did you do it? This is pretty thick stuff and looks to be a mylar/plastic film. Before I start I would like to hear any to do or not to do stories. No luck finding a replacement glass yet and have nothing to loose trying to save this one.
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:54 AM »

What game theme do you need glass for?

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »

When we had a open trailer load of glass get wet (leaky tarp), I noticed that the film slid around on the back of the glass....it had bubbles, so we chucked it, but may be a solution/remedy for your broken glass. Soak in warm water, slide it off the glass, then slide it on a new glass...like window tint.

coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:56 AM »

What game theme do you need glass for?
This was one of the power progressive games, but any three reel 30 line reel glass will work. I stole the one from a  Lightning sevens that matched. The hot water trick does not work, this film is very thick. Will try heat gun and soak in goof off next.  I need to get this game back together since I found the 20" monitor I needed for it. That will be alpha elite  number four up and running.. If I can get Ros to part out the five reel stuff it will be a diamonds and devils game, otherwise it will be another power progressives.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »

PWRSTROKE years ago said he can do it.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
CVslots

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »

If I part out the 5 reeler in question, it will be a 5reel Black & White 7s kit, and the parts....). But anyway, why don't we just try it with some 5500/6000 glass and see what it takes? Adhesive couldnt/shouldnt have changed THAT much, or??? IGT stuff slid off like, well...ya know...That was after prolonged exposure to moisture (2-3 days?).  Lemme try some Bally glass tomorrow and see what happens. I don't have a clear piece of glass to slide it onto, but I can slide it onto the front of another reel glass just for kicks. Will post pics if it gets exciting!

Coors - I think Goof Off will eat it, but not sure? Since you're not dearly attached to this broken glass it's worth a shot I guess...

I'll report back tomorrow night...

Roz

P.S. Darrell's just gonna LOVE this little experiment....Yeah, right!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:51:01 AM by CVslots » Logged

Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »

I heard brake fluid was used to do it
but that scares me to death
goo done or the liek might just destroy the artwork

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:20:48 AM »

Brake fluid is good for removing ink pen. I have been in the auto dealer business all my life and have met some real shady wholesalers. If a customer signs a title with a pen it the wrong way or for the wrong amount, they would soak the title in brake fluid and then a little while later you can wipe the ink pen signature right off with no trace. Then you soak the title in brake cleaner to remove the brake fluid, changingnthe brake cleaner a few times, air dry and you have a brand new document with no signs of a signature at all. But not sure it will work on glue.

I got it off with a heat gun low and slow...then goof off to remove glue..
CVslots

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 03:28:12 AM »

Cool, then no experiment on my part! Good to know!

I've heard the same brake fluid thing in our local newspaper....but it was with checks, not car titles.

FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »

Didn't do it on alpha glass but did it to Bally glass & bally topper inserts & igt glass. You have to be patient.
put in HOT water with liquid detergent, Keep adding HOT water so it stay warm. For tough ones it might take 4-5 hrs. TRY IT
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »

I'll check and see if I have the reel glass on Monday.
Send me a picture.
I parted out 4 machines a while ago and I know I have a diamond line reel glass.
But that one is a 4 reeler, where the forth reel is the bonus spin.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:46:25 AM by Neonkiss » Logged

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »

we done it many times its brake CLEANER we get it at advance auto, its work but it looks good
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »

Looks like this one, it is a 30 line glass with the line numbers on the right and left that light up

* 20130126_103117.jpg (659.23 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 304 times.)

* 20130126_102936.jpg (480.96 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 289 times.)
CVslots

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

Ok, so now we know how to get the artwork "OFF" the broken glass....but what's the trick to getting it on the new glass without a jillion air bubbles? We are in the middle of trying it now, but no success so far. When the artwork comes off, the adhesive is still partially there. We put it on a new glass, and smoothed it as best we could, but had to lay 4-5 glasses on top overnight to get it to re-adhere. Now today, it looks like crap with air bubbles everywhere....

Tips and/or techniques anyone?

slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »

we wet them amd leave them dry over nite we also use a thinner plate of glass with a thin  sheet of plex glass behind on inside we done a dozen or so
good luck
CVslots

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »

So, still messing with this POS glass... banghead banghead  I cannot get the bubbles out! banghead  banghead

Can I take the adhesive off of the front of the artwork and just put it behind the glass (like a poster or something)??? The way the original glass broke, there's a crease in the art, so I can't go have it scanned and printed like we've done before for custom glass.

slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »

wife  has a hard piece of rubber she get bubbles out with starts in middlle goes to both sides pushing air out side of glass , i only do repairs  , she says my cleaning work is not worth a shit
CVslots

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »

Ok, Steve. Thanks.that was my next tactic...

This is a lot of work for a GameMaker... rotflmao rotflmao

slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

think of it is fun Cry Laughing
CVslots

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »

think of it is fun Cry Laughing

Fun, yeah right! Maybe it will keep me taking a hammer to it. Why do customers always HAVE to HAVE the games that aren't ready? No matter how many are available, they always want some little ugly duckling we've been putting off for one reason or another. This one is a funky size, not sure what If its an early model or what, model V7217RT. Top glass is 19.5" x 8", an oddball Gamemaker cabinet for sure.

The way it's going right now, the cracked glass looked better than the bubbly glass!  rotflmao Should have sold it discounted and told the customer we'd get the glass as soon as we find one!

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

Roz  I never worked with art work on a slot machine, but when putting any  decal on any surface you must start at one point and work the air out as you put the decal in place. Most use a rubber squeegee, but a credit card will work. If by chance you missed removing a few bubbles, poke a hole in the bubble with a needle.

CVslots

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »

I was treating it like window tint or a protective film for phones, IPads, etc. (more or less)....but I guess that shows why I'm not tinting windows for a living or working at BestBuy installing phone screen covers!  rotflmao  After trying the pinprick trick on a couple bubbles, I gave up, as my art would end of looking like Swiss cheese by the time I was done.

I'll give it another try and report back. I gotta find a bigger squeegee/squished thing!

slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »

I was treating it like window tint or a protective film for phones, IPads, etc. (more or less)....but I guess that shows why I'm not tinting windows for a living or working at BestBuy installing phone screen covers!  rotflmao  After trying the pinprick trick on a couple bubbles, I gave up, as my art would end of looking like Swiss cheese by the time I was done.

I'll give it another try and report back. I gotta find a bigger squeegee/squished thing!
yes kate  has squeegee from sign making machine , if we can buy or find glass we must do with what we have
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

I gave up, as my art would end of looking like Swiss cheese by the time I was done.

I didn't say anything about using a drill motor,   A NEEDLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Post Pictures   I need a good laugh   stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking   wtf1  DID YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CVslots

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »

I gave up, as my art would end of looking like Swiss cheese by the time I was done.

I didn't say anything about using a drill motor,   A NEEDLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Post Pictures   I need a good laugh   stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking   wtf1  DID YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Like I would show you now?!?!?!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Maybe the end product...thanks for the encouragement!  rotflmao rotflmao

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.