VLC 8825 Touch Screen

(1/2) > >>

lb:
I have a VLC 8825 that has a damaged touch screen. It is ELO. Does anyone in the Phoenix area have any parts. It would probably be easier to change out the whole crt assembly if I could find a working one. I can get a replacement Micro Touch screen if I could find a controller board for it. Seems like everyone wants to deep 6 these machines but I want to get mine working so you could throw them my way. Thanks for any help.

ROCKET:
Quote from: lb on August 13, 2013, 07:45:01 PM

I have a VLC 8825 that has a damaged touch screen. It is ELO. Does anyone in the Phoenix area have any parts. It would probably be easier to change out the whole crt assembly if I could find a working one. I can get a replacement Micro Touch screen if I could find a controller board for it. Seems like everyone wants to deep 6 these machines but I want to get mine working so you could throw them my way. Thanks for any help.

IF THE TOUCH SCREEN IS ON A OLD VLC IT IS BONDED ON WITH EPOXY FROM FACTORY .
its a non removable item . you have to replace the entire CRT -with a new touch screen etc .

or go LCD -with a different bezel ==more $$--and a signal converter for CGA TO VGA about 50.00 delivered for a good one . I would stick with the CRT -TUBE & new touch screen cleaner outcome and cheaper .

find out from VLC owners if you can run a 3M MICRO TOUCH--- touch screen in the VLC ??

Reason being - many of the company's then & now only purchase there touch screens from one supplier and did not install "DRIVERS " for both "ELO" & 3M is why I say this .

I have seen many people try to toss in the more expensive "ELO" touch screen in a old machine and new machine to find out the screen says no touch screen detected . For example  in the company JVL CO. INC. on there first countertops they ran both 3m microtouch and "ELO" touch screens for the first three series machines .
after JVL -4 they purchased from 3m MICRO TOUCH EXCLUSIVELY -so JVL -4 through JVL 8 would only work with 3M products .

there are a few members still running the old VLC machines . perhaps they will chime in ??

lb:
Thanks for the response. The ELO screen on my machine looks like it is attached with a consistent 1/2" wide, thick material which could be some type of tape. It looks too consistent to be epoxy but I could be wrong. I do know VLC made the slot with both ELO and Micro Touch screens and they obviously had different controller boards to drive each one. I agree just switching out the whole crt assembly would be much easier if I can find one that works and the crt isn't toast.

ROCKET:
Quote from: lb on August 14, 2013, 01:21:45 PM

Thanks for the response. The ELO screen on my machine looks like it is attached with a consistent 1/2" wide, thick material which could be some type of tape. It looks too consistent to be epoxy but I could be wrong. I do know VLC made the slot with both ELO and Micro Touch screens and they obviously had different controller boards to drive each one. I agree just switching out the whole crt assembly would be much easier if I can find one that works and the crt isn't toast.

In my first post I should of said original from factory the touch screens on the VLC  were epoxied on along with tape .

so some members dont pick apart what I say and confuse matters .

the easy way to find out if its been replaced over the years with just a tape on model --is to take a electric hair dryer and heat the touch screen slowly equally around the edge and use a old hack saw blade -slim jim idea and see if it pops off easy ----if its tape it will almost lift right off --if epoxied it wont budge .

i think you will find the epoxy is around the entire tube /crt etc . and you wont even be able to get a thin hacksaw blade  through to screen side . without taking a chunk of the CRT with it .

as far as controllers yes there is the obvious difference from 3M to  ELO --

ELO run on 5 volts dc on that model -

3M Run on 12 volts on that model .

what I was refering to were the "slots computer drivers" being installed for both the 3m & the ELO in the software in machine .

you say they ran both 3m and ELO -

but i would make sure the drivers are there for both ??

if you find the more common 3m touch screen CRT for a replacement which are quite common still .

because you would also have to find the correct software for the 3m if it was only set up from factory for ELO ??

I have two of those old VLC'S converted to POT O GOLDS using brand new CRT'S & 3M touch screens -
I personally like the CRT IMAGE in many video slots vs the LCD -which you have to view at a specific angle to see the image --

the old VLC make  great cabinet designs heavy gauge steel and already had the isolation transformer built in - they make great organ donors -plus take many standard glass from many modern day slots along with progressive windowed glass on the top level .

there must be 10 miles of wire in those machines from factory when new . ..

lb:
I appreciate your response about heating and trying to do a removal. I will try that. Could almost roll it out of the garage into the sun here and let it bake off. With all the changes necessary to go to a micro touch screen it seems like I should just look for a working ELO crt assembly and switch it out. Are any of these still around?
This may be a dumb question but are touch screens repairable. One corner of mine is damaged and the wires around the edge also look damaged/loose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page