Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 1090-1 Quarter Slot - Keeps Blowing Fuses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 1090-1 Quarter Slot - Keeps Blowing Fuses  (Read 10652 times)
Chedderboy
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: April 12, 2010, 01:58:15 AM »

I just picked up a Bally 1090-1 quarter EM slot that's in mint condition, other than it doesn't work  Duh!

It has four fuses in the back.  The second fuse from the left side keeps blowing.  Sometimes it takes a few seconds.  When you drop a coin it, it blows.  The florescent lights work on top, bottom, and payout glass.  The "25c" light is on, and the "insert coin" ligjht is on.  I've looked over the machine many times looking for a wire touching the frame, but no lock. No coils or other parts appear "burned."

It's killing me, as I want to get it going.   hissy fit I just bought an IKE dollar conversion kit from Foxsslots and am dying to get that going.

What to do next?  Turn off, put new fuse in and pull out 1) hopper then real assembly to try to isolate?

I bought this and a Bally 1046 5-line from the same lady as a package deal.  Her late husband was into slots and he had a couple of dozen.  

Any ideas before I call out the slot mechanic?

Thanks for any ideas....

* 1090_1.jpg (750.01 KB, 1568x2352 - viewed 1752 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:37:59 PM by Chedderboy » Logged

Bally 873-A $.25 machine
Bally 1112 $1.00 machine
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »

if the wires going to the fuse are blue then you have a light socket SOMEWHERE (most likely the door) that is grounded to the frame of the light panel and is cause a short.  If the wires going to the fuse are orange - you have a shorted out coil.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

Chedderboy, would you try uploading your picture again? You can modify your first post and add the picture without having to create a new post. The file that you attached was 0 bytes (empty). Thanks.

SF garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Chedderboy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »

Is a shorted out coil one that has a wire touching it, or just a defective coil that needs to be replaced?

Bally 873-A $.25 machine
Bally 1112 $1.00 machine
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »

if the 50v fuse is blown - you have a BAD coil.  shorted out - thats why it is blowing the fuse.
MarkInAz
Jack of all, master on none.
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 22

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »

Is a shorted out coil one that has a wire touching it, or just a defective coil that needs to be replaced?
Let me jump in here quickly and say to Chedderboy that if the coil is bad and shorted like Fox is saying you may not be able to "see" the short.  Even if you peal off the paper insulation you probably wont be able to see it let alone fix it.

Good luck.

Its Always Something...
Chedderboy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »

Is there any way to test the coils why they are on the machine? 

Bally 873-A $.25 machine
Bally 1112 $1.00 machine
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »

You can't test if the fuse is blown - to test a coil you run a jumper wire (make up a long wire with aligator clips on each end) attach one end to a  yellow wire (on a light socket for example) and attach to the coil lead opposite the lead with the orange - this will activate the coil.
The best bet to find the bad coil - do a visual - look for one that is BURNT.  if not remove unplug all the components - feature unit - remove the hopper, reel mech, payout unit, the door plugs.  attach 1 item at a time turning on machine - turn off the machine and check the fuse - keep doing this until you isolate the area where the coil is.
Chedderboy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »

I think I may have found the bad coils.  I checked behind the top glass and found what appears to be two burnt coils.  Can anyone advise if they appear burnt, or are just dark from use?

Left coil is a G33-2800
Middle coil?  Can't read it
Right coil g31-2000

Must a coil be exactly the same, or are there generic coils to use when replacing these? 
Anyone know what the middle coil should be?  Can't read it on the coil...

* Coils 001.jpg (659.55 KB, 2352x1568 - viewed 737 times.)

* Coils 002.jpg (612.99 KB, 2352x1568 - viewed 446 times.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:02:16 AM by Chedderboy » Logged

Bally 873-A $.25 machine
Bally 1112 $1.00 machine
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Me at work

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »

before you replace the coil you need to find out WHY it fried - some other relay is stuck leaving the coil hot way to long - thats why they go bad.
 I have all the coils you may need - when you get the coil off  you should be able to read the label.  If not - I assume these coils are in the feature unit?  1090 machine - so they are the level relay - reset relay and step up relay. 
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »

I don't think those relay coils are the problem. It's common that they get a bit brown, but those are not burned, and the plastic bobbins aren't melted.

From the original description, that the fuse blows within seconds of a coin drop, I would suspect the coin unit reset coil. It's on the back of the large step up unit in the top cabinet.
Chedderboy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »

I had a Bally slot tech out and he had to rewire the door.  It appears that someone put it back incorrectly (backwards), which caused the blown fuses.

Bally 873-A $.25 machine
Bally 1112 $1.00 machine
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.