Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Coin Comparitors and Other Coin acceptors
| |-+  Coin Comparitors and Other Coin acceptors. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  CC-16D Comparitor amperage question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CC-16D Comparitor amperage question  (Read 8263 times)
BCD
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 27

« on: October 01, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »

I'm Rube Goldberging a coin sorter with a CMI CC-16D comparitor.  The comparitor is the 13V model.  I have all kinds of 12V and 14V DC adapters but no 13V.  If I use a 12V or 14V with a 1.5 amp output will it fry a comparitor board electrical component or does the comparitor draw just the current it needs which I believe is something less than 300ma?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »

NLG Welcome BCD wave

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd love to see pictures of your R.G. sorter when it's done. yes propeller   (Will it have marbles and dominos? (just kidding.) Just Kidding  I love marbles and dominos in R.G. contraptions.  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing)

We have another member here who also likes to build Frankenstein devices (although not technically of the Rube Goldberg variety). His name is Stayouttadabunker. He'll introduce himself soon, no doubt.

Enjoy the site.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

P.S. Are BCD your initials or did you intend your member name to represent the abbreviation of binary coded decimal?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:36:53 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »

It's a very good question actually because even Coin Mechanisms Inc. won't
divulge that information unless you're a "client member".
I was not able to pull up board drawing of the IC components though I'm sure I have it on my computer at work.

I too would love to see your Frankenstein....lol  yes
After, I'm a guy that once made a coin dispenser
utilizing the hopper and guts of an S+... rotflmao
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »

LOL!! If the members  of this forum are anything like StatFreak and stayouttadabunker I KNOW I found "family!"  This is gonna be one he*l of a lot of fun, I'm still laughin'.  I'll post a pic or two when (if) it ever works reliably.  I just came up from the dungeon, my wife says I'm a troll, and am happy that I finally got a coin delivery system that works.  Using Lexan, clamps, screws, and a heat gun that doesn't differentiate between fingers and plastic I THINK I can consistently get coins where I want them.  As for marbles and dominoes...I'm having enough trouble with Lincoln's, Jefferson's, and Roosevelt's, marbles and dominoes are next month.  Now I have to find a reliable coin compari(a)tor and/or quit frying it.

BCD are my initials.  Lord knows I had enough trouble with first semester calculus so binary coded decimals?!?  Don't count on it.

If any of you know of someplace to get a good used 12V or 13V CMI CC-16D comparitor I like to hear about it.  I'm to cheap to buy a new one for $100+ right now from CMI.

Again guys, thanks for the replies.

Bart

Thanks for the "Welcome" notes, I sure appreciate it!
StatFreak

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »

You can get used comparitors for much less than that from our trusted vendors. I'm also hoping that Jim (member name) or one of our other electronics experts will be able to tell you about the maximum current allowances of the CC's.

My instinct is to say that current won't hurt it for the reason you postulated in your first post (it will draw what it needs), but I hesitate to tell you to just try it and see.

...  ...I THINK I can consistently get coins where I want them. 

I'm afraid to ask where that might be!  Help   knockout Duck! Duck! rotflmao

...As for marbles and dominoes...I'm having enough trouble with Lincoln's, Jefferson's, and Roosevelt's, marbles and dominoes are next month. 

idea light bulb I was actually thinking more along the lines of using marbles and dominos as part of the working mechanism that sorts the coins rather than as objects to be sorted... Weird Eyes ... but then I'm just nuts...  Crazy   SpongeBob Butt

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »

The 12v would probably work fine, or the 14 for that matter. It's more about power, having enough, than having the exact voltage. Your 12v adapter probably puts out around 13.5 with no load on it anyway
StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

The 12v would probably work fine, or the 14 for that matter. It's more about power, having enough, than having the exact voltage. Your 12v adapter probably puts out around 13.5 with no load on it anyway

The voltage isn't in question; it's the amperage he's concerned about.

My basic understanding of electronics suggests that the device won't draw more current than it needs, but I'm not going to be the one to tell him that 1.5A won't damage any of the components on the CC board.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »

I don't recommend this but I'm going to post it anyways....lol
This is for tinkerers only!

I realize that he doesn't seem to have an adjustable bench top voltage
power supply like mine but you'll never know...
If he does... then what I would do, is adjust the power supply
for 13 volts and turn down the amperage all the way down.
Turn on the juice and raise the amperage knob slowly until the red light goes away.
That's when it turns green and the amps drawn are sufficient but not overloaded.

If he doesn't have a bench power supply, and is only using wallwart adapters - then
I'd wait for a good answer on the correct amp rating
or his adapters will surge the coin comparitor
and fry an IC component out.

Elsewhere on this humongous website is some schematics and coin comparitor pinouts. I'd start doing a search for those threads utilizing the search box upstairs somewhere on the home page.  yes
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:56 AM »

I would try a 12V 300mA-500mA supply.
Anything within 1V of 13V usually wont be any issue.

Think about the S2000 the 13V side of the supply is probably capable of 20A - 30A

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »

I would try a 12V 300mA-500mA supply.
Anything within 1V of 13V usually wont be any issue.

Think about the S2000 the 13V side of the supply is probably capable of 20A - 30A

He's already stated that his available supply voltage can be either 12V or 14V at 1.5A and his concern is that the amperage will damage the comparitor (not the voltage). I think you've confirmed that the amperage is not an issue and that he'll be fine.

BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »

THANKS to all of you that have replied!!!
I've learned more (or probably understood more) on this site in the last 24 hours than in the last week poring over CMI spec sheets, schematics, and other websites.  It sounds to me like the 14V, 1.5 amp, wall wart I used might not be the problem even though the comparitor is 13V and has a range of somewhere around 175ma to 300ma.  No matter what wall wart I try from 12V to 14V I can't get the rake to move anymore.

I came across some postings explaining how to adjust the air null and sensor contacts on the CC-16D.  I figured this would be fun to try since re-arranging wall warts was losing it's appeal.  Took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the devil "air null" is.  I'd still like to know where they came up with that moniker...  Anyhoo, dangling a coin on the end of a hunk of tape and playing with the contacts was a dead end.  Only consolation was the critter wasn't working before I started dangling and adjusting and it sure as he*l didn't after dangling and adjusting.  So, no harm now foul.

Good thought on the benchtop power source.  I've seen that mentioned before and thought it would be a good addition to an already overcrowded workbench.  'Sides, another gizmo will rankle my wife a bit which will be a good reason to fetch up one of them oscilloscopes CMI crows about.  I'll hook it up to the misses and let her see her amplitude is way out of wack.  If that doesn't burn the 'scope out I'd use it to adjust the comparitor.  On second thought, I should test the comparitor first.  Might get the comparitor working before blowing the 'scope by hooking up to my little moonbeam.

LOL about the coins getting to where I want them.  To the comparitor my friend, to the comparitor.

Definitely will take a look at the trusted vendors for a used comparitor.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Again guys, thanks for all of your time, postings, and info.  Darn glad I became a member and definitely worth the $$ contributon to help deray site costs.

Bart

P.S.  I'm having enough trouble trying to get coins, comparitors, wall warts, and grill motors marching in the same direction.  Throwing marbles and dominoes into the mix will make it like trying to herd wet cats!

TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »

Hello BCD and welcome to NLG

I posted some schematics for the CC16 a while back in this thread - http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=12373.msg108092#msg108092
Chances are good that your CC16 is the inhibit type. This means that apart from the power supply lines there is another pin that expects a signal from the machine to tell it to enable. A GND on pin 6 to take enable low should get it working

Ian
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:07:10 PM by TZtech » Logged
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »

I was messing with a 24v CC40 a few weeks back and it would power up on 12v but would not open the rake.  Do you have grey wires going to the rake which would be 24v from what I can tell or are they the green?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »

Normally the green wires are for a 13V CC.
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »

Hello BCD and welcome to NLG

I posted some schematics for the CC16 a while back in this thread - http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=12373.msg108092#msg108092
Chances are good that your CC16 is the inhibit type. This means that apart from the power supply lines there is another pin that expects a signal from the machine to tell it to enable. A GND on pin 6 to take enable low should get it working

Ian

Hi Ian,

NICE action pic, or whatever it's called, of the girl on the beach.  When I finally stopped watching it I forgot what I was going to post!  You're exactly right, the CC16D is the inhibit model.  I had pin 6 grounded from the get-go and the comparitor worked great for about 150 coins then it up and died.

Thanks for the post!
Bart
BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »

Thanks for chiming in jbshocks.  The wires to the rake solenoid are green.
StatFreak

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 02:36:01 AM »

Again guys, thanks for all of your time, postings, and info.  Darn glad I became a member and definitely worth the $$ contributon to help deray site costs.

Bart

Contributions are always welcome and appreciated. yes propeller

Don't forget to include your member name when donating so that Joey knows who sent the money. There should be a link that you can open to add a text comment. If you've already donated and didn't do this, send Joey a pm to let him know.

Stat garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

BCD
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Best of holiday wishes to all that helped with the Rube Goldberg coin gizmo.  "Our" coin sorter works great sorting 300-350 pennies/minute...so long as the comparitor doesn't jam.

I'm now learning about DC circuits, resistors, amps, ohm,volts, etc. so I can wire up a circuit to power this critter, and its extra components, with a single 24V wall wart instead of three  different voltage warts.

Hope this holiday season finds you in good health, good fortune, and good cheer!

Again, thank you.
Bart

* Christmas-magic.jpg (114.51 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 301 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.