Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:12:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Pinball Games
| | |-+  Newbie to this side of NLG. Need some advice.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie to this side of NLG. Need some advice.  (Read 4410 times)
89chevyman
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 37

IMG_20120624_210335.jpg

« on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:51 AM »

Hi guys. Usually I don't venture beyond slot machines, but, as with any hobby, ya gotta "reely" venture outside the box, at least a "quarter" of the way (sorry for the bad puns, just couldn't help myself) rotflmao rotflmao Speaking of self help. I just have a few questions. First, I am currently contemplating purchasing a Williams Roller Games pinball machine. According to the owner, you can put coins in, but no solenoids operate. It appears to light up (per photos), but is missing legs. Can anyone tell me if this is worth getting into, are parts available and what, if anything, could be wrong with this game Scratch Head Scratch Head?  Second question. I have a Gotlibe Super Spin machine. It turns on, lights up, but beyond that.....nothing. The solenoids don't respond, the scoreboard doesn't seem to function either.  Anything that I could be told to try would be helpful. The previous owner said it was working, but needed a "repair" on something, they didn't know what. This game is very clean, glass is in excellent condition, as is the cabinet & chrome. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Chris   
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Pins are repairable.  The Rollergames game could be anything from a blown fuse to a power board in need of repair.  Legs are generic and can be found pretty easily.  While the playfield toys on that game may not be easy to find if any are missing/broken, solenoids aren't game-specific and should be able to be obtained should you need them.

I don't think a lot of people had a very favorable opinion of Rollergames in so far as its game play.  On the other hand, I really loved that game.

If you're not familiar with it, the Internet Pinball Database (http://ipdb.org/ ) is a good resource for information about pinball games.  I'm sure there are some pinball repair forums out there, and I know there are a lot of folks on the Internet who are knowledgeable about pin repair (our own member CFH comes to mind immediately).

The Gottieb game is a 1977 electro mechanical machine (details).  They're different beasts to repair (and they weigh a TON), but if the playfield is in good shape it might be worth getting.  I know even less about EM repair, but again there are folks on the Internet who are knowledgable in that department.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »

As noted above, the Williams probably just has a blown fuse. But often it's a bad solenoid that caused it to blow to begin with. The good news is that they really are not that hard to troubleshoot and repair. You can find the manual in the link knagl posted above.

IMO as long as the playfield is in good shape (or replacment parts are readily available) I would not be too concerned that the game does not work. Of course you want to look in the backbox and under the playfield to look for signs of Burning Resistor

Legs can be found easy enough, but they are heavy and can be pricey to ship.

While there are a lot of places to get pinball parts, this is a good place to look to see what is readily available.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/storeitems.asp?game=Williams&Williams=ROLLERGAMES

Unless you are a collector or something, I would stay away from the electro mechanical machines.

My first (and only) pinball was a Space Invaders. The game mostly worked but the playfield was in really bad shape. Unfortunately I did not do my research first to see that there were no replacement overlays, and many of the playfield parts were just not available. So ultimately I just ended up turning it into a custom project. I'm actually really happy with the way it turned out, but I learned my lesson about first seeing how hard it will be to find what you may need.
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=10131.0
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »

The member cfh has a pinrepair business, try a private message to him, he may be able to help.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
Frank A
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 50

Pinball & Sailing

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »

The Pinball Resource in Poughkeepsie NY is an excellent source for parts and manuals. Marco's website has all of the repair journals that you will ever need classified by manufacturer,type and year. Great hobby and there are lots of people who can help with problems both here and on other sites. Even Pachitalk has a Pinball forum. If you get the chance to talk with Steve at Pinball Resource he has a wealth of knowledge.

Frank A
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »

1St what are you paying for both games roller games not all parts there good play field worth 700 to 900 , the em game all there good playfeild 100 to 200 good thing is theres nothing you can,t fix on the em pin,s if roller games has bad boards you can get in it to deep, parts try mad amusements, pinball resource is high on parts,marko will rob you on shipping as much as happ will
89chevyman
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 37

IMG_20120624_210335.jpg

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »

The guys wanting $200obo on the Rollergames machine. Probably able to get it for less, says it needs a control board(?).  Like I said, I'm finding out if this is worth getting into or not. I understand that the newer machines can be costly. I already own the Superspin, picked it up for $200 a few years ago, probably find out in the end I overpaid  Thanks everybody for the responses so far, it is helping applause applause applause.

Chris
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »

boards can cost alot for roller games without it  you have no way of knowing what else is bad  price of displays are very high and i,ll bet they are bad, board  displays  , legs  your  time rubbers blubs   i would pass ,roller games if shopped out working 1200 to 1400 game maybe less
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

..says it needs a control board(?).

Need one like it's missing, or needs one like it's broken?

On the Marco shipping, at least you know what it is up front. And as long as you don't buy one thing at a time, it's not that bad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.