Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Troubleshooting Bally EM's
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Troubleshooting Bally EM's  (Read 52179 times)
HadYourPhil
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »

This thing is still kicking my butt...
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

Without having a wiring diagram, or better still having the sucker here on my workbench, there's very little help I can give you beyond repeating what I said before. It is most likely a faulty microswitch, either on the Starpoint cam timer or the randomizer. The Starpoint drives off home to start the game, then one of its switches changes over and passes control to the randomizer. The randomizer switch makes and breaks to drive the Starpoint intermittently through the cycle, then after the reels stop the first Starpoint switch changes over again to complete the cycle. Somewhere in that sequence is the problem.
HadYourPhil
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »

THANK YOU for at least explaining the sequence of events! That all makes perfect sense. I checked the switches on the Starpoint, even writing down where on the 0-360 dial they closed. It seems ok, so I'll thoroughly examine the randomizer.
One odd thing is the machine works normally with three quarters but not with one or two.
Op-Bell

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »

One odd thing is the machine works normally with three quarters but not with one or two.
That's another troubleshooting clue, though I don't know what it means.

Since the known item affected is the motor on the Starpoint (it stops turning), that's the place to start. Trace its wiring. One side should be simple, it will go to one side of the supply. This would traditionally be an orange wire on EM Ballys. The other side will have a complicated and branching path through microswitches and relay contacts to the other side of the supply, traditionally a yellow wire. There's going to be one route from the motor, through a relay (coin in), through the start switch, to get it off home. There's another through a cam switch that changes over immediately off home, that runs it through getting the reels started. There's another route through a cam switch that changes after the reels stop, through the win relay, that gets it back home at game over. Then there are paths that run through the randomizer. One of those is the problem.

From your remark above, I would expect to find one route through the max coin circuit, possibly a relay or a contact on the step-up unit, and another route not through the max coin circuit.
HadYourPhil
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »

Well, here we are in late May. And the slot machine works fine. The problem was in the coin step-up unit... Actually it was two problems. One was the 'spider' disc had a couple of contacts that looked like they were making contact, but weren't. And, on the back side where the leaf switches are, there was an almost invisible strand of wire shorting out a couple of the contacts! Not at the leaf ends but where they were assembled!
The very helpful Barry Fox was insistent that the step-up unit was a likely culprit, and although I had checked it before, I did so again. And that was it.
Finally.
Neonkiss
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »

Congratulations   applause applause applause applause applause applause applause
It's always nice to here when you get your machine up and running again.

Yes, Barry is very knowledgeable on the E and EM machines.
He is always willing to help out members with problems and is usually right on the money with his diagnoses.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
HadYourPhil
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

I did a little research on these Classics. Turns out there were around 100 made and the MGM fire claimed over 60 of those. The rest were out for repair and out of that bunch, supposedly less than 20 survive. This comes from a usually reliable source.
I must say, the one I fixed is working better than it ever has.
(Goes back to fixing broadcast Beta decks, audio gear and jukeboxes...)
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »

then I must be a lucky guy - I have had 10 of them and I know another dealer who had just as many - should have kept them and cornered the market.
HadYourPhil
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »

Like I said... A Usually Reliable source. Believe it was whomever sold my friend his Classic.
To me, a run of 100 seems low. But having 20+ still around seems reasonable.

Hope you kept that cool car, Barry!
FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »

still have the 442 - no plans on giving it up in my life time.
shaunb
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »

this may be a silly one to some people but how can i fine out which model of bally one arm bandit i have got i know it says 1968 on the hopper motor but there is no number plate on it, the name on the front is lucky twins but that about all i can fine on it  Scratch Head  Help
thanks
shaun

* IMG-20120501-00091.jpg (891.67 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 633 times.)
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »

Since no one more knowledgable than me (which isnt saying much) has responded, look around inside the machine. I've seen them engrave, stamp, or more commonly written in felt marker, the model # in such places as: inside the cabinet (front and center), somewhere on the inside of door, outside of hopper bowl, and almost always written on the reel mech.  You've got something funky going with that top box (just saying its different, not saying its bad). I can't really read it with the glare, but does that say "Change"??? Is the top box a change machine? If you get a chance, snap a pic of the inside. Where's Barry Fox when you need him?

You might want to drop this thread and post in Reel Machines - General Chat with a "Help ID this machine" topic...This thread is 2 years old and at this point, you're not really troubleshooting, like the thread title implies.  wave

-Roslyn
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:30:44 PM by CVslots » Logged

shaunb
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »

thanks roslyn and yes it is a change machine on top i have 2 of them like it the other one is fully working the 1 in the photo needs a lot of work doing to it
Op-Bell

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »

It's from Britain and the change top is not original, so there's a very small chance it bears any resemblance to the machine that left the Bally factory. Since it used to be a hold and draw machine, the chances are it started life as a Sir Prize. You should find model numbers stamped on the switches at the back of the reels, it's very unlikely the mod crew had the patience to change those.
gpapania
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »

Hi and thanks in advance! I have a 809-b. I can pull the handle down with no power and the reels will turn, I can power the unit up and insert nickles and nothing but the reels will still spin wheel i pull down the arm.
I took out the coin hopper and put 110v on the motor and it will spit nickels out no problem.
Any help is always appreciated, Yes I checked the fuses there not blown.
And the transformer shows Orange -common   Yellow 50v Blue & Red 50v (front pins)
rear pins  White 25v jumped to next pin on right , Black 25v jumped next red 25V and empty pin right rear.
geopapania@yahoo.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.