Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally EM 873 coin relay problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally EM 873 coin relay problem  (Read 6669 times)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« on: October 18, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »

I'm working on a Bally 873 EM for a friend and its pretty much complete except I can't get the coin relay coil to energize? It's test good with jumper wires. When I cycle the coin switch I hear a relay buzz in the top feature unit. I have checked and cleaned the stepper unit and contacts, no help.. If I trip the coin relay latch to close the contact, then the handle coil energize releasing the handle. At this point I can coin up to the 5 coin max and play. It does payout on winning combinations. I'm just missing something stupid. My manual does talk about the timing of switches A B & C and to check the dash pot contacts. They all seem fine, and my zero switch is opening and closing. I remember having a similar problem a few yrs back, but I don't remember what it was?? I've attached a pic of the coil and switches that are not closing when you cycle the coin switch.

Thanks Gary

* coin.JPG (481.53 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 804 times.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:29:37 AM by Amachanic » Logged

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »

Most often it is your dashpot switch.  Sometimes it will open slightly when you put the reels back in because the handle fork pushes the front half gear down just slightly.  Tug on your dashpot pump arm to see if you can hear it buzz.  That is most generally the problem with the CLO coil.
You might want to also, for giggles, turn your JP reset switch to see if that energizes it. If it does, then you have either an open JP#1 or #2 switch up in the top unit.
The other switches you need to check which work in parallel are the open 4th odds (top unit odds step up assy.) and the coin relay which you have already checked.
The other switches in your CLO circuit are: RM A, RM C1, and a payout relay sw.  At least that's the case for the 809, and they are all very very similar.
Maybe one of these days we can start a thread on how and when the lockout is supposed to work, and to not work...
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:59:15 AM »

OldReno .... you can do this just about in you sleep cant you?
 applause Hail Hail Hail applause

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
OldReno

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »

Sorry, me server kicked me off in the middle of a post.
Actually, I cheat, Darrell sent me an 809 schematic which I refer to often... (the schematics are basically all same for finding most problems in the Ballys.)
When monkeys fly out my ass I will be able to remember all those switches....
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

Just a quick up date.. I so far have found on bad solder joint on the back of the 18 male beau plug on the reels and a broken orange 50v wire on the back of the 18 pin matching female plug. I'm in the middle of fixing a problem with the handle gear box. When I'm done with that I can put the reel assembly back in to see if my problems gone?? I should know in an hour or so.. OldReno I hope to be just half as good as you working on these some day..   Hail

Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

Ok here's where I'm at now... My coin switch relay is now working after fixing the broken long round pins on the 24 pin male Beau plug.   applause   The machine now coins up and seems to payout on all lines... My new issue is that I have a loud buzzing noise on a 3 Plum payouts...   Scratch Head   The machine pays that jackpot correct, just a loud buzz till the next coin is played? I think there is a relay just for the plum payouts, but whys it so noisy..  Help

Gary

David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »

Make sure the selector arm is only contracting one button on the board when it is in 3 plums and not touching two buttons.. Can you locate the relay that is causing the humm.... that will help in locating the circuit that is getting a voltage that it is not supposed to have. Do you have a bell or a chime box in the machine?
 Scratch Head
Dave

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »

If I'm ready my manuals wiring diagram for the 873 machine the plum pay relay is located in/on the hopper.. It has to be the one located back behind the hoppers motor mounted behind the beau plug. Right in the middle of the hopper. Now is when I wished I'd made an extention cable for the 18 pin plugs. At least then I could pull the hopper and setup a 3 plum payout.

Gary

OldReno

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »

Well use your ears and find out where the noise is coming from.  I thought the plum relay was next to the 3rd reel board???
Anyway, ID where that noise is coming from first off....
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:25 AM »

There are two relays under the hopper plus the other one just over the hoppers beau plug.. The one over the beau has a metal cover over the relay.. Just had a thought  Scratch Head  could that metal cover be vibrating making that noise  Duh!  I'll take that cover guard off tomorrow and setup a plum payout to check... Too late and cold to go into the garage tonight.  Thanks OldReno.. Then I need to fix the Fifth line bulb on the feature board. Sockets really loose

Gary

Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »

Well this 873 Bally EM is Finished. I was able to get the lights working on the feature board, and the buzzing sound I had on the Plum payouts was the metal cover over contacts & coil on the back side of the hopper. I've attached a couple of pics of the machine... Thanks for everyone's help..

Gary

* 873a.png (523.61 KB, 640x480 - viewed 588 times.)

* 873b.png (583.07 KB, 640x480 - viewed 598 times.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:32:52 AM by Amachanic » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.