Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Removing OldGrease
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removing OldGrease  (Read 15765 times)
rdaniel
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »

I am cleaning up an old 809 fruit machine and would like to know what type of old grease removers I could use
on the reel mech to get rid of an accumulation of years of grease on the metal parts  and then place a new coat. The existing grease is still soft but it is OLD.

Thanks for any suggestions.
rokgpsman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 6

Just a curious observer...

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »

On older pinball machine mechanical movements a lot of people use WD-40 to help remove the old grease, then reapply small amounts of new grease. Keep in mind that WD-40 is flammable, shouldn't be used with power on or around open flame or where there is arcing such as switch contacts with power on.
rdaniel
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »

Thank you rokqpsman. Appreciate the assistance.
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:43 AM »

What I have been using is PB Blaster. I get it at Home Depot and it has worked really well in freeing up old grease on credit units, coin units on the hopper and also the handle gears. I use mineral spirits on the old mechanical slots like Jennings, Mills ect ... ect...
Dave

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
JanGbg
Computer engineer

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »

I have been using dish soap for 28 years now.

BALLY EM Forever!
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »

I would think after using it for 28 years it would have loosened the grease by now...   Cry Laughing

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
Styx

Total Karma Storms: 15

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »

I use baby wipes on the stove grease that is too stubborn to come off with other stuff. Scary how good baby wipes can be.
I now keep a steady stock of them, even though my kids are long out of diapers. Car mechanics have thanked me for the suggestion when they tried them on their hands.

I have no experience using them on electrical components though Smiley

-Styx
JMac
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »

WD-40, No way, not if it is the old original formula.  It will crud/gum up on whatever you put it on.  W D stands for Water Displacement, it is not a solvent nor a lubricant.  The stuff totally messed up a teletype printer and a great .357 Mag, S&W, after sitting for a year after spraying the mag, it took me over an hour to get the cylinder open.  Got a wet ignition system on a car/truck, snowmobile, etc, now use the original WD-40, but nowhere else..

~- JMac -~
rokgpsman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »

Sorry JMac, but that just isn't correct.

WD-40 is approx 50% mineral spirits (a solvent used at least since the 1920's) and 15% mineral oil (a light oil). The remainder of the product in the can is mostly carbon dioxide to propel it from the can plus some inert materials. It was never meant as a long-term lubricant, the solvent will evaporate and the light oil will dry out, so it should be used as a loosening or cleaning agent, not as a permanent lubricant. That's why it displaces water, it is an oily petroleum product.

Mineral spirits is basically a lighter version of kerosene. It is great at cleaning and loosening old grease. After cleaning an item you should wipe it thoroughly for the final cleaning step, then apply the correct grease for long-term use. Anywhere you can clean using mineral spirits you can use WD-40. You're right about leaving it on mechanical parts as the only lubricant, that's going to gum up things.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:05:06 PM by rokgpsman » Logged
JMac
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 7

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »

Sir, you are correct, what I should have said was that the formula (When introduced) was not meant as a solvent or lubricant.  How folks use it, that I won't go into...

If you want to gum it up, hose it down with WD-40 (Original) and leave it.

~- JMac -~
rokgpsman

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »

I agree with that last statement completely. I just didn't want someone to read & think that WD-40 was worthless, it does help loosen old grease and free up things with rust. But many people mistakenly spray it all over something and then leave it on there, thinking they have properly oiled or lubed it. It is a solvent (plus a light oil) sprayed out of a can that is meant to be used as a degreaser and can help with rusty parts that are binding. Because it is a petroleum product it is flammable, displaces water and is lubricating to a certain degree. But the solvent evaporates and the lubricating oil dries out soon since it is so light, so you are left with a residue. That's why it is important to wipe down good after using it.

I've also used kerosene as a solvent to clean dirty parts, plus it has an oily quality that helps get things moving while I'm working on it. But at the end of cleaning the item should be wiped clean and oiled with the right stuff, not WD-40.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:20:35 AM by rokgpsman » Logged
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »

I like to use brake cleaner spray cans for cleaning old gunk. Works great to get cosmoline out of barrels and bolts on old milsurp rifles too. Smiley

Just don't use it on plastics and properly lube things when done.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
JanGbg
Computer engineer

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »

I would think after using it for 28 years it would have loosened the grease by now...   Cry Laughing
;-)

BALLY EM Forever!
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »

Richard;

Perhaps I am crazy but I have used a hair dryer and or heat gun on low in addition to PB Blaster and a dedicated tooth brush.  You would be surprised how much gunk reveals itself after only a few seconds in the hot seat so to speak.

Happy Thanksgiving

Ra
777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 19

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

Wd-40's formula these days is diff. from the old/orginal stuff.  The orginal would crank a diesel engine no prob.  the new will not.  I think and I am sure I will be corrected,  There were multiple law suits for changing the orginal formula as one instance the can fell over and arched/touched neg/postive terminals on a 12v auto battery causing serious injury and explosion.  The older formula in my opinion worked better.  Pb blaster works very good also-good stuff but stinks-bad!.  -Winston
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »

And another thing...lol

Richard someone on this list I believe suggested "Corrosion X"  Claims it penetrates Lubes Anti-Seize.  Sounds x-rated.  I bought a can about a year ago.  (expensive I remember)  A small quirt will do the trick.  Seems this will handle all of your issues at one time.

I now use it on all of my slot machines, My motorcycles, my car battery terminals and anything else that will hold still and let me spray it.

Ra
rdaniel
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 04:41:19 AM »

Well, I used the WD 40 to remove old grease and it worked well for that purpose. I then wiped off the metal after reach cleaning and applied the lube, either Bally lube from the tube (such a  poet) or 3 in 1 oil depending where I thought it appropriate. Actually I let the WD 40 dry or evaporate as stated in the  above postings and then applied the lube or oil.

The reel mech that I was cleaning had not been lubed or cleaned for who knows how many years, so there was dirt and old grease galore. Now it looks almost new.

So far so good, hopefully there will be no problems down the road from using WD-40. I tried to shield the wiring
from the WD-40 or wiped it off immediately after application.

I do appreciate the other suggestions for future cleanings.
erbs
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 66

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

While we are talking about Wd-40 here is an interesting article I ran across awhile back.

* What is the main ingredient.doc Wd-40.doc (31 KB - downloaded 351 times.)
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

While we are talking about Wd-40 here is an interesting article I ran across awhile back.

This just one mean trick.
Read where it says it cleans stains fro stainless steel sinks, so I thought I would give it a try.
Well it does work kinda, but not a good as a S.O.S pad. My wife is still laughing that "I" cleaned the sink.
I'm beginning to think this was written by a woman.  WIFE!!!

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
BadMaddison

Total Karma Storms: 4

It's *not* agoraphobia; I was adjusting something.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

So...

Rocket scientists were all sitting around and invented WD-40 to take care of:

7. Lipstick stains and

8. Stubborn zippers.

Ahem.  Heh heh!

BTW I did know the origin of WD-40 and I know that around Christmas time the company makes these awesome WD-40 pens for about a buck each!

I'd stock up if anyone has any of those 40 issues, especially 7 or 8.

Will come in handy for getting out number 9 from number 8, too!  (You'll have to check the list!)

"I was in the hospital once but I took a turn for the nurse." ~W. C. Fields
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »

This just one mean trick.
Read where it says it cleans stains fro stainless steel sinks, so I thought I would give it a try.
Well it does work kinda, but not a good as a S.O.S pad. My wife is still laughing that "I" cleaned the sink.
I'm beginning to think this was written by a woman.  WIFE!!!

Neon  I don't have a stainless steel sink but this toilet bowl cleaner does wonders on a Enamel sink. Caution don't get it on the faucet, turns the chrome kind of black.

I would be remiss if I didn't try to explane this to some of our members in Alabama. All though recycling is highly recommended, with this product, using it from toilet bowl to kitchen sink isn't a good idea !!

* PICT0022.JPG (765.38 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 406 times.)

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »

Wow! A peek at Buzz's desk! And Im not even gonna ask what the Vaseline is for...

Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Wow! A peek at Buzz's desk! And Im not even gonna ask what the Vaseline is for...

Well it is next to the phone.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »

I lost a Ham sandwich on that desk last week, sure hope I find it before it goes BAD

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
CVslots

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »

Well it is next to the phone.

Oh man... Shocked

And I'm pretty sure that sandwich will be easier to find once it DOES gone bad...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.