Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 962 Reel Problem - Help! - FIXED!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 962 Reel Problem - Help! - FIXED!  (Read 4831 times)
JMac
Resigned NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

« on: November 27, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »

OK,

Here's the deal, last night I moved my Bally 962 out of the game room to make way for a Bally 873 (Arrived today - A post on that one to come later)..

I removed the reel assy. and hopper and relocated the machine to another room.  Now, upon reassembly and subsequent playing, a problem arose that was not there before the move.

Upon coining up and pulling the handle, about 50 some % of the time reel 2 will not spin, it will advance one position only and slam to a stop.  Needless to say this is not normal behavior!

I have cleaned all switches and burnished those that I can get to.  The only thing that I have not cleaned is the 12 socketed relays, although I did pull them and spray the sockets that they plug into.

The reed switches on the side of the reel assy; it is possible that my fat hands may have done something to them when I carried the assy from room to room.

The problem still exists and I sure would like to have it working for the holiday!!

I have NO paperwork for this machine, HELP I do need!

TIA!!!

* P1000186-2.jpg (420.83 KB, 576x1024 - viewed 359 times.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:04:26 PM by JMac » Logged

~- JMac -~
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

Remember these machines are electrical mechanical. This is not an electrical issue. It's a mechanical issue.
If you were to say the payouts were not correct or it only pays as if one coin was inserted when you played 3 coins, then yes that would be an electrical issue with switches or a solenoid not advancing. But the reel spin and stopping is purely mechanical.

I would pull the reel assemble and then remove the reel bundle so you can see all the linkage of the number two reel. You most likely have a spring that has come off on the number two linkage assembly. Compare it to the other two sets and look for the difference. Also it may help to activate a reel spin on the assemble outside the machine and see what is happening.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »

Hey JMac... I would pull the reels out again and check the linkage and pivot point. Sounds like the latch paw assembly #24 on the scan I provided could be frozed or sticking.. I've had similar problems, and almost 100% of the time the kick linkages are sticking. Look at the numbers 22, 24, 25, 26, and 30-32 on the diagram.. All of those small linkages and pivot points need to move freely..

Gary

* Bally Reel Mech.pdf (471.16 KB - downloaded 256 times.)

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
JMac
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »

Hey JMac... I would pull the reels out again and check the linkage and pivot point. Sounds like the latch paw assembly #24 on the scan I provided could be frozed or sticking.. I've had similar problems, and almost 100% of the time the kick linkages are sticking. Look at the numbers 22, 24, 25, 26, and 30-32 on the diagram.. All of those small linkages and pivot points need to move freely..

Gary

Guys,

If I ask someone more knowledgeable than I on a subject, I am a fool not to listen, having said that I have to agree that it is a mechanical problem, just that the timing suggested otherwise – That is why I contacted two commercial slot repair shops and was told to do what I did (electrically).

I did remove the reel bundle again, put it on the bench and all I ended up doing is removing some old grease and re-lubing the linkages.  All springs are intact and I believe that the linkage on reel 2 is in need of repair or adjustment?

Here is what I observed after reinstalling the reel bundle (Assy.);  The problem still exists if one pulls the handle at what would be considered normal speed.  Now, if you slow the pull and watch the reels move in reverse as you get closer to the threshold while still going slower than normal, all is OK all the time, speed it up to where reel 2 does not move in reverse as far as it should, it IS going to screw up every time!

I am totally convinced the linkage for reel 2 is worn; all seems to be free enough and well lubricated.

Gary, Thanks for the file, I will look at it when I am done on here.

I am still listening!!

~- JMac -~
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »

JMac. Check that latch paw on the the small cross shaft for your #2 reel. My similar machine did the same thing when I brought it home. Drove me crazy for a while because I'd never run into this problem before. All it was is that the latch paw was frozen to the shaft. My guess is that all 3 could be stuck, and that the second one got moved just enought so now the reel won't kick right. The 3 latch paws could be turning the shaft they ride on instead if floating on it. I just finished doing this job on a E2000 machine tonight. It's a pain sometimes to get to, but really makes a big differance once done. Call me if you have any questions. I'll be up for a while yet tonight.

Gary

JMac
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »

Gary,

The machine is a lot better after new lube on it overnight and all day.  Not perfect but better. ALL of the linkage for reel 2 SEEMS as free as for the other 2 reels.  I never did find anything sticking anywhere, so, time will tell.

New problem, same machine (New thread?), I will edit and start one if required!?

Payouts on the bottom line: All was correct until I moved the machine from one room to another (same as previous issue.  The 3rd line will pay on 1 or 2 cherries, anything more than that, 3 oranges, bells, etc. and no pay at all.)

Where do I start??  I really want to start on my 873 but not until this one is working!!

Thanks to all for the help!

~- JMac -~
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »

I would be checking my wipers on the payout boards to make sure they are making good contact, and didn't get bent by removing the reels. This is a good one for OldReno.. He knows these EM machines inside out..

Gary

JMac
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »

Gary,

You hit the nail square on the head, one wiper was badly bent, took care of that and now it pays as it should, also another day of sitting with fresh oil and now one can pull the handle however one wants and it plays as it should!!

Again, thanks to all that helped!!

+1 (Karma, or whatever)

~- JMac -~
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.