Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Bally 831 Hopper over pay driving me crazy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally 831 Hopper over pay driving me crazy  (Read 12195 times)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« on: February 15, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »

I have a Bally 831 with the old style hopper. I am getting a 1 coin over pay (sometimes) due to the motor coasts, no brake like newer style.. I have read the manual and adjusted this hopper the best I can.. I know the coins should be kicked back into the bowl by the solenoid operated deflector.. I'm looking for anyone who has had to fine tune one of these older mechanical counting hoppers.. I've seen this same style hopper with a relay setup, and second solenoid for advancing the payout disk, but mines the lever and spring setup.. Pain in the a**   frying pan  I hoping OldReno or OpBell reads this and has an answer.. It just seems that the deflector solenoid de-energizes just a 1/2 second too late and lets the coin get past as the motor coasts to a stop..   Help

I rebuilt the solenoid linkage today due to excessive wear at the pivot link and roll pin connection, but that didn't help..

* 831 Hopper.JPG (722.82 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 487 times.)

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 32

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »

Darn the thing is CLEAN!!!  I am not exatly sure what is causing your problem.  I had the same issue with my 873 and my mechanic bent sonething on the hopper and no mor extra coin.  I will call him and ask what he suggests.

Ra
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:16:15 AM »

Darn the thing is CLEAN!!!  I am not exatly sure what is causing your problem.  I had the same issue with my 873 and my mechanic bent sonething on the hopper and no mor extra coin.  I will call him and ask what he suggests.

Ra

Thanks Ra... I read the manual and they talk about bending something, but the discription and pictures don't show much detail.  This whole machines that clean inside and out. Doesn't have original glass but its a later 831 EM matching glass kit. I'll have to take a couple pics.

Gary

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »

Please do!  We all love pictures.

Ra
David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 39

Panhead

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

I dont have the knowledge that Oldreno and others have so take it easy on me if I am wrong. I attached as pic of my 831 hopper that paid out 1 coin too much on every payout. I adjusted the allen screw to advance the wiper arm just a bit forward. that solved the problem for me. Let me know if I am on track.
Dave

* 831 hopperA.jpg (100.44 KB, 480x640 - viewed 535 times.)

Still playin in the mud ..... after all these years.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

I dont have the knowledge that Oldreno and others have so take it easy on me if I am wrong. I attached as pic of my 831 hopper that paid out 1 coin too much on every payout. I adjusted the allen screw to advance the wiper arm just a bit forward. that solved the problem for me. Let me know if I am on track.
Dave

Hi Dave,
             I've already gone thru that adjustment. This thing was off but it's not my problem. I check my payout board with an Ohm Meter. The wipers are only the two coin payout for the first coin, after the second click it ratchets off the metal contact strip. The problem is with the timing of the solenoid coin deflector releasing knocking the third coin back into the coin bowl of the hopper. This style of hopper doesn't have a motor brake like the newer styles. The motors and coin wheel continue to coast after payout. I am getting a coin sitting inside my hopper on the knife just past the indexing roller. This hopper does count correct, I just don't understand how to setup the coin deflector adjustment. If I advance the zero stop any farther forward my zero switch won't work and I get under pays. I was so sure yesterday that it was the worn linkage on the solenoid and wrong return spring, but after fixing both I still had the same problem..

David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »

OK .... now I am scratching my head and waiting for the Pro's to chime in with the answer. Good knowledge to have for future issues with me when it arrives.
Dave

Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »

Here are the other pics I promised.. I have 3 more waiting in the wings to be brought back to life.. A second 831 twin to this one, a 1113 EM Lowboy Wide Body fruit machine, and my newest Pick up a Nickel 5 Reel Metalist...

Gary

* 831 fruit.JPG (921.14 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 534 times.)

* 831 fruit1.JPG (971.94 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 501 times.)

Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »

two more...

* fruit2.JPG (859.42 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 483 times.)

* metalist.JPG (962.87 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 528 times.)

David B Fowler
Contributing NLG Member

Panhead

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

They look in real good condition. I cant wait until I find a nickle Medalist to go with my quarter one.
Dave

OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »

Haven't had much problem with that solenoid so this is a new one for me.  Make sure your solenoid return spring has good tension, and can snap back quickly when power is lost.  Also you might put a socket on the post that holds the pivot point of the deflector, and give it a little bit of a bend to lower where the blade sets.
You might slightly open the points on the payout relay just a teensy bit, so that when the relay turns off, those switches open more quickly.
Again, if you can lower the unit closer to the payout disc, it will engage better I'm thinking.  I do recall at least at one time bending the post which has the 'E' clip which holds the flap unit in place.  Just a tiny scootch toward the front and to the inside of the hopper bowl...
Keep us posted...
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »

OldReno, 
                 I think your right on the spring tension. I just manually advanced the hoppers motor to put a coin on the reel shelve at the knife and indexing roller. The coin deflector didn't knock the coin back into the bowl. I will see if I have a little stronger spring and report back..

Gary

RiseLikeRa
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »

Reno:

I think that what you are describing is the magic that my mechanic performed.  (see below)Can you please post pictures on the parts that you reccomend adjusting so we can all give some attention to this in the future.  The problem is not uncommon.   A few fancy arrows and circles showing parts and direction part should be bent would be nice for the must challenged of us like myself. 

Thanks a million oh great one.

You might slightly open the points on the payout relay just a teensy bit, so that when the relay turns off, those switches open more quickly.
Again, if you can lower the unit closer to the payout disc, it will engage better I'm thinking.  I do recall at least at one time bending the post which has the 'E' clip which holds the flap unit in place.  Just a tiny scootch toward the front and to the inside of the hopper bowl...
Keep us posted...
[/quote]
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »

Well here are my finding... I went to my local hardware store and found a new spring with a little more tension. This seems to have solved my problem. The coin deflector now has enough spring tension to kick a coin back into the hopper bowl that's wedged between the hopper knife and indexing roller instead of rolling thru out into the coin tray.. That's the one thing the manuals don't mention.. It was easy to see once I pulled the hopper and ran it on my extension cable, see pic.. This  machine is one of the cleanest I've ever picked up. Thanks for your in puts, we learned something new today..  applause

* 831 Fruit IS1.JPG (707.27 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 429 times.)

* 831 fruit IS.JPG (947.72 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 462 times.)

tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:38 AM »

Gary is the pinwheel and agitator on the EM the same as a E series?

If so, is the long screw that goes thru the agitator and thru the pinwheel, in the proper place to keep the pinwheel locked to the pin drive on the gearmotor that drives it? Should only have a very slight backlash in the pinwheel if you try to rotate it by hand in either direction.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »

That right.. When it put together right, then you should only have a small amount of play forward and back.. These early EM hoppers don't use that rubber agitator like the later ones do. These have a half dozen or so metal spikes or cones molded on the pinwheel to stir the coins.

Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »

I'm a bit late to the party here and the problem seems solved, but let me add my 2 cents. A sticky AC relay or solenoid, more often than not, is caused by residual magnetism. Over a period of time the constant slamming of the moving armature into the other magnet pole forges both parts to be a very close fit over a substantial area, and this means a slight residual magnetism can hold them together after the power goes off. The solution is to break the magnetic path slightly, either by filing one part or the other so they don't fit so well, or by putting something in the way, like a very thin brass or mylar shim. For a problem like this one with the thrower solenoid, a piece of scotch tape on both shoulders will cure the problem instantly if that's what it is, but it won't be long before the tape gets cut through by the hammer action and the problem comes back.
OldReno

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »

I used to demagnetize coin lockout armatures by throwing them onto a concrete shop floor, or smack them with a hammer on the vise.  Seemed to work.  Also, those armatures would eventually get half moons on them from mashing into the center post of the coil.  Filing them down also helped significantly. Residual magnetism is a trip, because they may hold together even when the power is off...making for a fun time troubleshooting.
Op-Bell, didn't they eventually put brass shims in the thrower solenoid?  I seem to recall a springy brass piece in there between the square armature, and the coil.
Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

I have seen some coils with a sort of brass or phosphor bronze yoke, but not all. I wonder if they were all given one to start with, but they cut through and fell off with the hammering. I for sure wouldn't want my finger in the way of that armature when it comes slamming back.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.