Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Amateur radio (Ham Radio)
| | |-+  Which HF rig would you buy today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which HF rig would you buy today?  (Read 10266 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »

Okay, so I just posted in the other thread that I'm not in the market for an HF rig right now, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been looking and drooling.

First, I'll admit to being fairly out of touch as to what's what nowadays; who's making good gear, who's making crap, etc.

In the old days I worked primarily 40 and 80 meter CW and SSB. I didn't work 20, 15 and 10 as much because I didn't have the right antenna and/or because they weren't as active at the time.

I've looked at everything from the legendary defunct IC-751A to some new models under $3k like the Elcraft K3 ($2k+); the Yaesu FT-2000 ($2.2k), FT-2000/D ($2.7k) (both on sale), FT-3000 ($2.7k) or the FT-950 (on sale for $1.3k); the ICOM IC-7000 ($1.3k) [not sure I want such a compact rig with so many deep menus]; the Kenwood TS-2000 ($1.5k) and others.

While there are a lot of good older rigs out there, I'm leaning towards newer rigs with roofing filters to help cut through DX pileups to isolate difficult QSOs, USB computer/remote control capability and features that would let me go beyond basic SSB/CW to try some of the newer forms of communication.

While portability always appeals, I'm more inclined towards a shack rig that has more of the main functions directly accessible from the front panel or that at least has fewer levels of menu depth and a comprehensive display that's quicker and easier to navigate. Of course, if someone can show me that a rig like the IC-7000 really rocks, I might change my mind. Tongue Out

So what do all of you think? Are the newer rigs by the big three worth it or are they overpriced crap? Any better choices out there that I don't know about, including used options? There's no rush since I can't put up an antenna right now (not even a multi-band vertical).

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

Hey Stat,

Let me first start out by saying I have also been out of the loop.
I just sold off the last of my HF gear but while in the hobby I did have the best of the best for gear.
With that being said I am not up to date on the newest HF gear
but I do know Icom's top rigs like the 7600 and 7800 were around 10k  rotflmao

When I quit dxing I had a FT1000, Icom 756pro, and the Kenwood TS2000
Oh that IC751a is one of the greatest rigs made and stills stands the test of time
the receiver section was one of the best.

TS2000 does it all 160-440 all modes but then again it's everything
crammed into 1 box, not a bad rig but the receiver lacks compared to the others
you can also narrow the dsp filters down to nothing.

So I guess for you it comes down to what bands will you operate
how much antenna space do you have...mono band beams ? maybe not if so
a wire works wonders when the band is open and the neighbors can't see it or complain  yes
Then again if you work 160,80,40 a wire is all you need.

For a Hf rig I would say check out the Icom 756pro not original model (screen problems)but the pro 1,2,or 3 model
I'm not going to list all the features off the top of my head but some of them are.
160-6 meters, DSP filtering, built in keyer, live band scope,great audio
you can also adjust/narrow the filters if someone parks right next to you
also has dual receive,you can buy a used one for around 1k not sure new price for the newest model
I would try to find a local ham selling one also check out QTH.com or QRZ most people/hams are great people.
maybe a local hamfest then again those all turned into computer gear and unwanted junk.

I have heard of a PC based rig called a FlexRadio but I don't know chit about it
anyway my dinner is burning and will check this thread again.

Tim

* 756pro.jpg (10.93 KB, 343x147 - viewed 643 times.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:32:57 PM by stormrider » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »

I had heard mixed reviews of the 756 pro 2,3, series but I'll look at them. For now, no antenna  no hence, no rush. Later, probably a vertical, or maybe a yagi or other folded dipole. I don't expect to be able to use an inverted-v or a dipole in an urban apartment. ...Okay, maybe an indoor dipole or long wire with a 1/4 wave ground wire indoors for 10 to 20 meters...

So I won't have the best of antenna systems and might have to keep to the upper HF bands.

<ADD> Naturally, a quality antenna tuner (either in-rig or external) is in my future. arrow
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:35:57 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:20 AM »

I found this page. http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-hf-antennas with a twist on the indoor dipole or long wire "wire around the room" implementation. His simple, interesting addition is to connect the wire legs on each wall with alligator clips so he can change the antenna length for different bands.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:57:24 AM by StatFreak » Logged

suncatalyst
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

I personally have BOTH a Kenwood TS-2000x and a Icom IC-7000 with a antenna tuner (which doubles the size physically of the IC-7000)

i love BOTH... great radios... both have there advantages and disadvantages... Honestly im learning towards the TS-2000 every day with
all the antenna inputs it gives you plus 1.2Ghz if you have the option installed at Kenwood service center like i did.

Kenwood also had the advantage you can upgrade the firmware if needed and kenwood has released at least 10 updates over 12 years...
ICOM i cant say the same about the 7000... great little radio BUT it has disadvantages. Menus arent much deeper than the IC-703/706 series....

reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

Icom IC-718, great entry level rig for about 525.00

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »

I'm a bit late in replying but I wanted to thank both of you for your replies.

I still haven't bought anything because it seems as though each rig (under $2.5k+) I've looked at has something wrong with it.
For example, the IC7000 is supposed to be prone to overheating. The Yeasu FT-950 (now discontinued) and it's cousins have very poor, ineffective roofing filters and DSP AND their receivers are sensitive to strong QRM which can knock them out (Although Hams have figured out which component fails and have shown how to repair it without the expense of sending the rig back to Yaesu, I still don't like spending that kind of money on what is essentially a defective product.)

So I figure that I'll wait until new rigs come out or existing problems are mitigated.

Even so, I appreciate the real world advice.

suncatalyst

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

i have one of the earlier IC-7000's and have never had a issue with heat with mine. Granted mine has a Fan mod done
to it coming directly out of the box to make sure it stays cool. i did the SAME thing to my TS-2000x as well...

ive learned keeping electronics COOL makes them last longer so i have no issues Modding radios to keep them
cooler...

UNFORNATELY theres not a rig out there that DOESNT have some kind of problem.
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

i have one of the earlier IC-7000's and have never had a issue with heat with mine. Granted mine has a Fan mod done
to it coming directly out of the box to make sure it stays cool. i did the SAME thing to my TS-2000x as well...

ive learned keeping electronics COOL makes them last longer so i have no issues Modding radios to keep them
cooler...

UNFORNATELY theres not a rig out there that DOESNT have some kind of problem.

rotflmao rotflmao Thanks!  Well, there are if one is willing to spend a boatload of cash. Tongue Out I just don't happen to have $5k-10k to spend on an HF rig. muted

I was looking at the IC-7000 because of it's portability and all band capability but I do appreciate your feedback on the menus. After playing with some models in Ham Radio Outlet, I decided that having a larger desktop rig with comfortable controls and more of them is a better solution for me. I might be inclined to "grab and go" with the small rig but I plan to use HF almost exclusively at home so that' would be a luxury for me. I have no problems navigating menus but I like to have the most often changed settings available without digging. It's also nice to have a comfortable quality tuning knob since one spends so much time looking for signals on HF,

I'm still eyeballing the Kenwood TS-590, the Yaesu FT-950 and its replacement, the FT-1200. I know people often don't like Yaesu but I like their design layout. If their darned roofing filters worked half as well as advertised it would have been a no-brainer.

suncatalyst

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

another one would be the Kenwood TS-480SAT or TS-480HX (if you want 200watts but without ATU)
the TS-590 replaces the 480 but i dont like the non removable face of the 590...

i use my 480SAT off a battery while camping with a Buddipole... it tolerates lower voltages better than the IC-7000 does
by a Longshot. the IC-7000 shuts down at a much higher voltage than the 480...
StatFreak

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

another one would be the Kenwood TS-480SAT or TS-480HX (if you want 200watts but without ATU)
the TS-590 replaces the 480 but i dont like the non removable face of the 590...

i use my 480SAT off a battery while camping with a Buddipole... it tolerates lower voltages better than the IC-7000 does
by a Longshot. the IC-7000 shuts down at a much higher voltage than the 480...

How would you compare the receiver in the 480SAT to those in the mid-priced rigs we've discussed? I don't really care about having the extra 100W but on the other hand I expect to purchase an external tuner - probably an LDG AT200proII, so either version of the 480 would work for me. I know there's only about a $100 difference between them. It's just a question of whether 3dB is worth a hundred bucks.  lightning bolt
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:48:27 AM by StatFreak » Logged

suncatalyst

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:53:54 AM »

ive heard the receiver is more sensitive in the TS-590 but i dont have one to confirm....

ill use either my 480sat or my ts-2000 any day without thinking about it. love both of them
and the fact the 2000 has more inputs is great for me but everybody is different.

the X model of the 2000 is great if your into 1.2ghz stuff. i dont use it on mine though.
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »

I recently purchased a Kenwood TS-590. VERY happy with it. The RCVR is awesome. Fact is..if you can't HEAR them..you can't talk with them.
it does it's job well, control it with a PC and it's over the top. Has A/B memory...set A to voice operation and B to digital, this way you dont have to remember to turn off processing, throttle back the power and narrow the bandpass..one button will do it all....
Runs COOL....THREE antenna inputs and it remembers the last one you used on each band! The 3rd RX input bypasses the internal tuner for general coverage or the use of a convertor.
It's a decent sized radio, great for a home installation.
ORDER A 13 PIN CABLE!!!! you will use this for ALL external operations!!!
Build a "Breakout Box" for that cable..to either RCA jacks or (I use) spring connectors. I use this for digital operations...

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

I have had the IC-718 for a few years now and the only complaint is that 17,15 and 10 suffer drift unless you install the high stability crystal  or let it warm up for an hour.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.