Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Amateur radio (Ham Radio)
| | |-+  Looking to make a 2 Meter Antenna
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking to make a 2 Meter Antenna  (Read 6469 times)
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

Hay all well im trying make up a 2 Meter Antenna and as a NEWBIE lol  arrow arrow not sure where to start have seen lots of videos on the topic.
  2 Meter Dipole Antenna,  2 Meter Vertical Antenna, Five Element 2 Meter Antenna, and last a  2 Meter J-pole...   

Wow lots of info and lots of choices  frying pan frying pan frying pan but where to start ????  stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking

What do you all think about the home made j-pole ????    SEE VIDEO???

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOwznvSA-sM&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QOwznvSA-sM&rel=0</a>

Is this worth doing.... ???   propeller propeller  Thanks for any input...  Having Fun Joeylc  Odie

BTW: We Shayla and I Passed our Amateur Radio Test this week and will soon have our call signs.  rotflmao rotflmao      Just waiting for the Government AKA FCC to grant the licenses  Duh! Duh! Duh! 

Sure hope it's not like waiting for our Government issued DOJ License !!!!!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Congrats on that! The J-pole works well, but not easy to make and if you dont have access to a antenna analyzer you wont know of it's working correctly......
The dipole and groundplane are EASY to make and work well...
Suggestion.....
A CHEAP (did I say cheap) but decent handheld radio is the Baofeng UV-5R/UV-5R+/UV-5RE series radios.....
They do 2 meters as well as 70Cm (420-450Mhz) have a large battery for (get this) $50 on Ebay!
Here is a link, they are in Phoenix, $91 for a PAIR of these!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2013-Latest-Version-BaoFeng-UV-5R-Plus-136-174-400-480-MHz-Ham-2-way-Radio-/261162358763?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item3cce7d57eb

Kirk (WB6EGR)

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »

J-Pole antennas are excellent, if you lack the tools to build one yourself checkout:

http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

Great antenna for the money, I bought one of these back when I first obtained my license and they work great on VHF/UHF.

The handheld beam is great for Satellite work along with a dual band hand-held radio.

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »

While J-Poles do work well (a shunt fed antenna reject out of band crap) you MUST put it on a antenna analyzer to see what it's REALLY doing.....
Find someone with a MFJ-259/269 analyzer and take a look at it before operating thru it.
If your thinking of buying anything HAM related or test gear wise, the MFJ-259 or 269 Analyzer is a great investment to your collection.

* photo (72).JPG (2033.15 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 393 times.)

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »

While J-Poles do work well (a shunt fed antenna reject out of band crap) you MUST put it on a antenna analyzer to see what it's REALLY doing.....
Find someone with a MFJ-259/269 analyzer and take a look at it before operating thru it.
If your thinking of buying anything HAM related or test gear wise, the MFJ-259 or 269 Analyzer is a great investment to your collection.

Have one! I know some people HATE MFJ, But I have never had a problem with MFJ equipment.

Very good point, I use it to check every antenna I have/put up, also using premium grade coax rated for VHF or UHF certainly helps...Avoid that Chinese plated stuff like the plague!!

If you decide to ever travel to Dayton you can get a decent discount on equipment direct from MFJ, I managed to talk the lady into selling me a few "display" units dirt cheap when the show was over.

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »

YEP!   MFJ usually means "Mostly F-ing Junk" but they hit it out of the ballpark with these analyzers!
I use only Belden LMR-400 or Andrews LDF50-4  1/2" heliax for VHF/UHF installations.
The Chinese cable is crap, so is the junk made by Tandy Wire&Cable (Radio Shack) Their "RG-8" style cable is like 66% braid. It's not fit for clothesline duty.
For low power apps, dont overlook Quad Shield RG-6 yes it is 75 ohms, the slight mismatch wont hurt you, it's loss is less than RG-8X by far on VHF/UHF.
RG-11 is all over the place for CHEAP! yes..75 ohms for CATV use, but works fine for ham use.It's a good source of Copper braid if you need some for grounding!
Simply slice off the jacket, push the braid back a little..pull out the center then flatten it (wear gloves).Solder a washer to the ends and your good to go....

Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

YEP!   MFJ usually means "Mostly F-ing Junk" but they hit it out of the ballpark with these analyzers!
I use only Belden LMR-400 or Andrews LDF50-4  1/2" heliax for VHF/UHF installations.
The Chinese cable is crap, so is the junk made by Tandy Wire&Cable (Radio Shack) Their "RG-8" style cable is like 66% braid. It's not fit for clothesline duty.
For low power apps, dont overlook Quad Shield RG-6 yes it is 75 ohms, the slight mismatch wont hurt you, it's loss is less than RG-8X by far on VHF/UHF.
RG-11 is all over the place for CHEAP! yes..75 ohms for CATV use, but works fine for ham use.It's a good source of Copper braid if you need some for grounding!
Simply slice off the jacket, push the braid back a little..pull out the center then flatten it (wear gloves).Solder a washer to the ends and your good to go....

Great idea on the braid!

I'm CRAVING a tower soon, Planning on moving to Delaware of Pennsylvania and look forward to breaking ground with a tower...our family had a 150 foot tower for a VHF system back in the 90's and with 110 WATTS you could talk from the bottom on NJ all the way up to NY.

My current QTH is full of interference and I can only work VHF/UHF...Some HF but most of the HF band is trashed from leaky transformer, plasma TV's, Electric dog fence, etc UHG!!

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

I put a Icom 706MK-IIG with a auto tuner and a 6/2/450 Diamond along with a Hustler 10-80Meter vertical antenna on a mountaintop site.I remote control it on 440Mhz, so I can use it mobile or handheld. With all the Digital noise from CPU's (everything has a 4/8 bit processor (like your coffee maker), those NASTY CFL (twistie lamps) TV sets,Plasma Monitors,Routers,Battery chargers,anything with a PWM controller spraying crap ALL over the band I find the mountaintop site to be rather quiet on HF.I use 8 pole bandpass filters on the VHF/UHF remote base to keep the onsite junk out of the front end of the 706 (NOT a worldclass Front end).....
I got tired of all the JUNK from consumer grade crap operating in the 902-928Mhz band here, So I fired up a transmitter on 927.2125Mhz with a ERP of 800 watts on a 5000 foot high site. BYE BYE baby monitors/900Mhz LANS/Video Senders/Wireless Speakers........
I could NOT use 432Mhz here due to the GARBAGE weather stations/remote temp senders on 433/434.0Mhz....my ATV transmitter on 434.000Mhz blows them off the band, Costco and Walmart are getting a LOT of returns. I contacted "LaCrosse" corp and bitched about their dirty product...their answer was "install a set of fresh batteries" !!!  HONESTLY??? How can they be so stupid?
GET ACTIVE on these bands or we will lose them to this kind of crap. Linksys wants the 902-928 band for their WiFi products! Will be a cold day in hell when i am forced off this 927Mhz band by Linksys! Here are a few of my 900Mhz radios!

* photo (74).JPG (615.81 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 388 times.)

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »

Great idea on the braid!

I'm CRAVING a tower soon, Planning on moving to Delaware of Pennsylvania and look forward to breaking ground with a tower...our family had a 150 foot tower for a VHF system back in the 90's and with 110 WATTS you could talk from the bottom on NJ all the way up to NY.

My current QTH is full of interference and I can only work VHF/UHF...Some HF but most of the HF band is trashed from leaky transformer, plasma TV's, Electric dog fence, etc UHG!!

BTW...since I can't have slot machines here, i had to "Shift Gears".....now it's HAM RADIO....have to have a vice of somekind and the wife REALLY wont go for me picking up women from bars on the Harley......  <sigh>

Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »

I put a Icom 706MK-IIG with a auto tuner and a 6/2/450 Diamond along with a Hustler 10-80Meter vertical antenna on a mountaintop site.I remote control it on 440Mhz, so I can use it mobile or handheld. With all the Digital noise from CPU's (everything has a 4/8 bit processor (like your coffee maker), those NASTY CFL (twistie lamps) TV sets,Plasma Monitors,Routers,Battery chargers,anything with a PWM controller spraying crap ALL over the band I find the mountaintop site to be rather quiet on HF.I use 8 pole bandpass filters on the VHF/UHF remote base to keep the onsite junk out of the front end of the 706 (NOT a worldclass Front end).....
I got tired of all the JUNK from consumer grade crap operating in the 902-928Mhz band here, So I fired up a transmitter on 927.2125Mhz with a ERP of 800 watts on a 5000 foot high site. BYE BYE baby monitors/900Mhz LANS/Video Senders/Wireless Speakers........
I could NOT use 432Mhz here due to the GARBAGE weather stations/remote temp senders on 433/434.0Mhz....my ATV transmitter on 434.000Mhz blows them off the band, Costco and Walmart are getting a LOT of returns. I contacted "LaCrosse" corp and bitched about their dirty product...their answer was "install a set of fresh batteries" !!!  HONESTLY??? How can they be so stupid?
GET ACTIVE on these bands or we will lose them to this kind of crap. Linksys wants the 902-928 band for their WiFi products! Will be a cold day in hell when i am forced off this 927Mhz band by Linksys! Here are a few of my 900Mhz radios!

I heard about Linksys trying to get the 900Mhz band, I will refuse to give in even if the FCC orders me to stop using the band..

I have a bunch of those Motorola's and they are great, work like a charm never had a problem. I also have a vintage 80's computer with RSS so if you ever need any Sabers/System Sabers programmed I'll be happy to help.

Just got done fooling with a T3011DX key loader, still has the old Whitehouse Communications Agency sticker on the back..Fun to load DES keys in the VHF Sabers and operate secure simplex, wouldn't recommend trying this on Ham 2m since people would bitch to no end about the encryption lol

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

They bitch about us on P-25 !!!

* photo (75).JPG (1614.34 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 379 times.)

Slots_007
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

They bitch about us on P-25 !!!

Nice Astro's!

It sucks how some HAMs can't have a bit of fun and realize we aren't hurting anyone with P25...But the arm-chair commandos will bitch and scream till hell freezes over lol

Those have the extended housing so the DES modules will fit them, Put the two MURS wide-band channels in them and load them with DES modules/keys...You gotta like nothing but white noise!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.