Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Amateur radio (Ham Radio)
| | |-+  Calling all HAM Radio Operators
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all HAM Radio Operators  (Read 21999 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: October 31, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »

lightning bolt  lightning bolt  lightning bolt
Hey everyone,  wave

There appear to be many Amateur Radio operators on NLG and since the subject has come up several times on the site, I thought that I'd start a thread for those who might be interested.

I hold an Extra class ticket, but have not been active for a while as other hobbies have taken up my time and money. I'd like to get back on the air one of these days -- it's on my "to do" list. When I was active, I preferred to work HF, both on SSB and CW. I also enjoyed some QRP now and then and used to have a 1/4 watt crystal CW transmitter for 40 meters which got out quite well with my Inverted-Vee. If I were to get back into the hobby today, I'd probably like to play around with Spread Spectrum.

Okay, so now you all know that there is a hidden meaning to my HAMburger Avatar. Tongue Out rotflmao rotflmao

Since privacy is a major concern these days, there is no need to post one's call sign unless one wishes.

Those of you who are active might want to post pictures of your shacks, rigs, etc.  yes propeller

Enjoy!

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »

I have been a ham since the late 70's. Although I also have not been active. I hold an Advanced Class License. My first rig was a Heathkit HW-16 with the VFO.  I picked it up at a local Hamfest. 
I worked a lot of 40 meter CW back in the day.  I had a simple 40 Meter dipole and would stay up late gathering my QSL's from around the world. 
Thor777

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:06:22 PM »

Thanks Stat for starting this section...  Advanced class here... never went for the "extra" because they are not issuing advanced anymore so I want to keep mine.....
  Here is a current pic I just posted in another thread and I will post some of the shack tomorrow...(not a pretty site) no

In the meantime I am webmaster and one of the tech group for:

http://www.wb2jpq.com

We have a interlink system throughout the world !

Thor777 - Joe

(notice the hand held radios by all)  frying pan

* TR02.jpg (53.67 KB, 480x360 - viewed 369 times.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:10:02 PM by Thor777 » Logged

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
stormrider

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »

Me, too!  Advanced class here  wave

Ham Radio was a big passion of mine at one time. I was lucky enough to go through 2 great solar cycles
and worked most countries funny thing is I just sold my crank up tower 55ft (month ago) with a Tail twister had a Mosley pro 67b 10-40 meter
with a few other antenna's on it.I have had so many rigs all the top of the line models as of now I still have
Icom 756 pro,
2 YES 2 Kenwood TS2000
Yaesu Quadra amp 6-160 1200 watt soild state no tune amp
and all kinds of vhf/uhf gear but those bands were never my style HF was the thing for me.

Once the  internet came along and they made it easy to get a ticket plus dropping the cw
I felt it ran it's course but I did mess with echolink for a little bit
also did packet when that was hot and new.I might have pictures of the shack in it's Prime  Tongue Out
but that would be on the upstairs PC which now belongs to the wife
important note !!!! I still have a shack in fact the TS2000 is on now listening to the local cops  yes
but the room has changed that's for sure.

Tim
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:45 PM »

Extra Class here I used to be active on HF but just have a 2m HT Feidaxin for those who want to know. Like to talk on 2 and 440
Maybe we could get an NLG Ham net going on the nodes or on HF to discuss slots!

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

Total Karma Storms: 233

Newest addition to the family, RIP Bentley

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »

Advanced class here, licensed in 1972. Active on 160 thru 2 meters as well as 220,440,927Mhz. I own a few repeaters, IRLP,AllstarLink systems. I collect Motorola radios, have a few Icom,Kenwoods...but dispise Yaesu due to piss-poor design and rotten product support.
Favorite HF rig  Icom 706MKII-G
Favorite Handheld Motorola Astro Saber III on UHF
Favorite Mobile Motorola Spectra (have them on 146/440/927Mhz)

73's! from Las Vegas......

Kirk

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:46:58 AM »

Maybe a slot HAM based theme.........like 73's and 88's     CQCQCQ or DX Digger!

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:21:58 AM »

I have been a ham since the late 70's. Although I also have not been active. I hold an Advanced Class License. My first rig was a Heathkit HW-16 with the VFO.  I picked it up at a local Hamfest. 
I worked a lot of 40 meter CW back in the day.  I had a simple 40 Meter dipole and would stay up late gathering my QSL's from around the world. 

Me, too!  I was first licensed in 1978 and my parents bought me a Heathkit HW-16 KIT to build. (Anyone else call it the "Hot Water Sixteen"?) It was my first major electronics project. I later upgraded to a Henry Tempo-One (a clone of the Yaesu FT-200). I had a 40 meter Inverted-Vee and also used to do a lot of late night work. Unfortunately, I lost all of my QSL cards some years (decades) ago. bawling

Once the  internet came along and they made it easy to get a ticket plus dropping the cw
I felt it ran it's course but I did mess with echolink for a little bit
also did packet when that was hot and new.I might have pictures of the shack in it's Prime  Tongue Out
but that would be on the upstairs PC which now belongs to the wife
important note !!!! I still have a shack in fact the TS2000 is on now listening to the local cops  yes
but the room has changed that's for sure.

Tim

I have to agree with your statements regarding the internet and the dropping of the code requirement. The FCC, ARRL, and W5YI have also made it too easy to study "to the test": there are too many newer hams who have no real electronic or radio knowledge. muted

On the other hand, there are still lots of hams that are interested in electronics, radio propagation, and experimentation. lightning bolt  It's not too surprising to find that a lot of NLG members are hams, since both hobbies have a strong focus on electronic tinkering. stir the pot / get cooking
Burning Resistor
I flirted briefly with packet radio when it was new (was that the late 80's or..? CRS again.) but at that time I could already exchange email and access bulletin boards through my CompuServe account. Besides, digital bulletin board style transmissions didn't do it for me.

The primary attraction that ham radio held for me was the excitement of talking to people live across the globe using nothing but my own equipment and the air waves. It's not the same when one uses some third-party company infrastructure (phone, internet, or whatever)! Back when I was younger, I also enjoyed building electronic projects from QST magazine (and others) and playing around with my newly built "gadgets".

...Maybe we could get an NLG Ham net going on the nodes or on HF to discuss slots!

That would be COOL.  The Wave
I would not be able to participate, unfortunately, because I currently have no gear bawling bawling bawling,  but it would be great to see others here take up the "cause". propeller propeller
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:16:08 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Op-Bell

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »

I got a ham license in 1980, but I never really got into using it. I was only interested in the technical aspects. I had made a 2 meter rig with a PLL frequency synthesizer and got tired of being receive-only. I got into RTTL for a while, with a noisy 50 baud teletype. But computers were far more interesting and once I discovered modems, I lost interest in the radio.
Thor777

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »

I got a ham license in 1980, but I never really got into using it. I was only interested in the technical aspects. I had made a 2 meter rig with a PLL frequency synthesizer and got tired of being receive-only. I got into RTTL for a while, with a noisy 50 baud teletype. But computers were far more interesting and once I discovered modems, I lost interest in the radio.

I was the same but then got involved with a group (not a club) that has a bunch of repeaters in my area and have them all interlinked to other "nodes" all over the world...  The computer can also be used through Echolink to talk to other Hams all over.   We are also experimenting in the 900 Mhz area and now have 7 900Mhz  repeaters up and running and are reprogramming abandoned Fire, Police and Business radios for these frequencies.  propeller

Thor777

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »

Maybe a slot HAM based theme.........like 73's and 88's     CQCQCQ or DX Digger!

Don't forget the 807's (beers)  rotflmao bust gut laughing

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »

This is one I use for the 902-928Mhz band.....
Motorola MTX-9250 built from scratch

Kirk

* CIMG2318.JPG (632.05 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 402 times.)

Definition of "Retirement"= to be able to get back all you contributed into it AND take some of their money too before dropping dead.
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »

These two are my favorites for use on the 440Mhz HAM band (and other places)

Motorola Astro Saber 406-512Mhz
Motorola PRO-7150 (in a HT1250 case) 403-520Mhz
The PRO-7150 is an interesting find. It seems the PRO-7150 was destined for the "South America" market and *NOT* type accepted in the North America area.It was purchased by a radio rental company,Engraved (damn near THRU the case) then sidelined as they legally could not use it.I purchased it for $200 with new battery,new rapid charger and FACTORY RSS software! The case was UGLY where they butchered it with numbers/name so I swapped it into a HT-1250 case.The only real differance is the nametag on the top and the rubber keys are slightly differant. For HAM use..it's fine Smiley

* CIMG2320.JPG (623.93 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 390 times.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:53:39 PM by KirkLasVegas » Logged

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »

I use this old Clunker on the 2 meter band....
A *OLD* (Circa 1989) Motorola "Saber" high power (6 watts)
These radios are simply "Bulletproof" They hear and talk well.
Nothing small/cute or foofy here,just a killer radio...
People on the other end can't beleive it's a handheld.

* CIMG2321.JPG (622.44 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 381 times.)

Thor777

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »

Here is a shot of my mobile setup...

Using a Kenwood TM-V7 dual band 140 and 440 Mhz along with a Motorola MCS 2000 for 900 MHz

* Thorcar01.jpg (170.22 KB, 640x457 - viewed 408 times.)

StatFreak

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »

I wanted to get back into the hobby last year and had looked at buying a dual band VHF/UHF hand-held and an HF+6m rig, but I have too many hobbies and not enough moneyhissy fit
I had been looking at purchasing a used ICOM IC-756 Pro III and hadn't made up my mind about a hand-held. I would most likely have bought a 2m + 70cm.

Thanks for posting the pictures. K+ guys. applause
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:00:15 PM by StatFreak » Logged

KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »

Well..it's HERE..the G2E show in Vegas opens today...

For all the HAM radio fans lets call "446.000Mhz" simplex the unofficial "Calling Freq" for the show. If your here and have a UHF handheld this would be a good channel to use. There is also a UHF repeater on the strip. The frequency for it is 448.500mhz with a MINUS offset and a PL tone of 100.0Hz.

See you all at the show!

Kirk

bob in phx
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

never had a "ticket" but I used to run the bands in the 1970's cb craze..... above and below with footwarmers and everything.... then I learned better!!!!!!!!! but it sure was fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dx across the country, now that was fun....
KirkLasVegas
Retired OLD Buzzard

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »

never had a "ticket" but I used to run the bands in the 1970's cb craze..... above and below with footwarmers and everything.... then I learned better!!!!!!!!! but it sure was fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dx across the country, now that was fun....

Yeah, back then people didnt have "Echo" mikes, noisemakers and other garbage. Now the problem is when the "Freebanders" are going into the bottom end of the 10 meter band (28.000-29.7Mhz) with their "CB" style activities...

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:39 AM »

I used to do a little of that with my Palomar Model 200 providing the input to my SB200... stir the pot / get cooking Evil

Kept it below 28.000, though, didn't need Riley paying me a visit.

Thanks,
Bill
bob in phx
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 05:11:23 AM »

cobra 2000 into a 1000 watt phantom, 6 additional banks of channels, 20k slider and man would it mess up TV in the neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all gone now, but east coast skip was fun!!!!!!!!!!!! I really didn't know it was not "appropriate"

didn't mean to hijack the thread
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »

I had a Digiscan, no "banks".  propeller

Thanks,
Bill
jimsjunkie
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »

I started out calling "CQ DX, CQ DX" back then too and decided if I really wanted to do this, at least be legal.  I was satisfied with my General ticket for many years until the internet made it easier to upgrade to Extra.  One point I'd like to make here that I think is being overlooked.  The cell phone has definitely reduced the interest in ham radio but attrition through age is the biggest factor in reducing our population.  I became active in the Tucson Sabbar Shrine Radops and served as President in '89.  I have a roster from that time with 60 members, all Shriners and all Hams.  Today, there only a half dozen of us left.  I am trustee of the 2-meter repeater which is silent most of the time.  Most of my equipment has come from silent Keys.  Yes, it's much easier to get a "ticket" than it was back whe CB was the craze and most of those that take advantage of it will not be the experimenting/research hams of times past.  But without them, the future of ham radio will be history much sooner.  Jim
edavies
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »

Hi. I have just recently joined this site and lo and behold, i see a section for ham operators. I was licenced back in Zimbabwe (Southern Africa) back in 1981 and had a full licence there (Callsign Z21BV). I moved to South Africa in 1989 and was licenced in the then controversial "indepedent homeland" of Boputhatswana and had the call H5AA. Once Bophuthatswana was re-incorporated into South Africa I was given a South African ZS6 call. Not too active on HF these days as I have a limited space problem for antennae. Occasionally you will find me on Echolink. Work of a Casino in the NW province of South Africa as their Technical Manager. Due to retire in three years time!! - Best wishes and 73 from Evan (ZS6EVD)
stormrider

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »

Hi. I have just recently joined this site and lo and behold, i see a section for ham operators. I was licenced back in Zimbabwe (Southern Africa) back in 1981 and had a full licence there (Callsign Z21BV). I moved to South Africa in 1989 and was licenced in the then controversial "indepedent homeland" of Boputhatswana and had the call H5AA. Once Bophuthatswana was re-incorporated into South Africa I was given a South African ZS6 call. Not too active on HF these days as I have a limited space problem for antennae. Occasionally you will find me on Echolink. Work of a Casino in the NW province of South Africa as their Technical Manager. Due to retire in three years time!! - Best wishes and 73 from Evan (ZS6EVD)

Hello Evan,

Welcome to NLG..... I know that I worked you back in the late 80's under H5AA for sure
might have the QSL card all that stuff is tucked away as I have gave up on HF
but boy were the bands hot in the late 80's for dx.I do have some HF rigs still
along with vhf/uhf gear sold my crank up tower last year and my amps,I did try echolink for awhile
but also burned out on that,nice to see another Ham here I was very surprised at how many people here are Hams.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.