Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:47:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Postal Service
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postal Service  (Read 5333 times)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« on: May 20, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

The postal service tracking is among the worst...piss poor really
Being it was sent first class it will probably show up at your door before you see any tracking info.

I've had priority packages show up before tracking info was updated.
Prices have gone up using the postal service but that don't mean they got any better.

Tim

I should have added this to my post! Same exact thing happened to an item I shipped on ebay just last week.  I watch my stuff to make sure it gets there and my "tracked" information was not updated until the item arrived at the door.
mvco
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »

I have also noticed this lately.  USPS tracking numbers are useless now.
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »

Unless they've changed policy, I don't believe the USPS typically does a scan when an item is brought to the post office -- it's more of a delivery confirmation number, not a tracking number.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »

I think it depends on which post office or if you use a alternate drop off location like Office Depot, etc.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

I think USPS charges extra for tracker or delivery confirmation.

Ron (r273)
idesign
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 509

If it aint broke why mess with it?????

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »

USPS now calls it USPS Tracking.  If you bring something with a prepaid label on it to a post office they will scan it in for you and it will show up in their system as ACCEPTANCE, with a TIME and DATE.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »

Unless they've changed policy, I don't believe the USPS typically does a scan when an item is brought to the post office -- it's more of a delivery confirmation number, not a tracking number.

This is why I stand in line and pay at the counter. They put tracking #s on them when you do that and they are automatically in the system.

If you hand it to your letter carrier or drop them off at the Post Office then they don't always get scanned.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

I think USPS charges extra for tracker or delivery confirmation.

Ron (r273)

Not anymore.

It's included now after the last rate changes took effect.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »

I mailed a flat rate box to Navada yesterday, the post master peels this white label from one label and sticks the rest of that label to the package. The part he/she peels off is placed on a card and handed to you.  Attached is the card I received yesterday, also attached is a tracking I just did.

* g 001.jpg (255.28 KB, 1700x2338 - viewed 232 times.)

* e 001.jpg (204.06 KB, 1700x2338 - viewed 251 times.)

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
a69mopar
647-402-1977

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

U.S.P.S. is the best choice when receiving an item North of the border.  UPS, and FedEx both soak you with handling fees at the border.  with UPS, a $20 item can cost you another $20 once it crosses the border (fees are something like $18.75)  .  I have had lost items with U.S.P.S., but never ones that had tracking. 

Thanks,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

Here's my FEDEX ground tracking as of today going to Vegas. Left Michigan Monday 3 PM and then left Ohio the next day Tues. at 11 AM. No updates since. Most likely will be updated after the delivery? Hope so! Suppose to deliver tomorrow! Hope it isn't setting somewhere or lost !

None are perfect. Some are better then others. I guess as they say, they all have their pro's and con's.

Date/Time Activity  Location
 -  5/21/2013  -  Tuesday
11:08 am Departed FedEx location  PERRYSBURG, OH
3:42 am Arrived at FedEx location  PERRYSBURG, OH
 -  5/20/2013  -  Monday
8:18 pm Left FedEx origin facility  SAGINAW, MI
6:37 pm Arrived at FedEx location  SAGINAW, MI
3:27 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx  
2:53 pm Picked up  SAGINAW, MI
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:42:22 PM by tkrozleski » Logged
AnDaLe!
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 27

Trent

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »

Actually they are getting better with turning "Delivery Confirmation" into tracking.  Some years back nothing happened until it was delivered....thus confirming delivery.  I print my postage via ENDICIA using an old UPS thermal label printer, have been doing so for over 10 years.  I do a bulk drop off, usually not over the counter, but it seems that more and more the package is getting scanned in at the departure post office, and instead of having to wait for delivery, true "tracking descriptions" are showing updates along the way, even "out for delivery".  This goes for First Class as well as PM and EM.

As I think someone already mentioned, I think a lot of it depends on where you mail it.  I also think that because my Endicia mailing software generates the label and the tracking number, it gets it into the USPS system immediately and with more detail.

With all that said, they still SUCK!!!  Prime example a Priority package we mailed to my niece for her birthday about two weeks ago.  Mailed it Saturday from Texas and it showed out for delivery in California on Monday, then nothing for a week.  They left no notice or package.  I finally sent my family out there the tracking info, they printed it and yesterday presented it at the local post office asking WTF happened.  90 seconds later the package was in their hands.  The postage was nearly $50 and this is the service it got.  And they wonder why they lose more and more customers and money each year.  My overall experience with them is not bad, and I mail about 400 First Class and Priority packages a month, but the last year it seems that delivery is taking an extra 1-2 days, and that is with me mailing at the main Airport post office that sends most of it straight to a plane.

Still a NOOB, but just picked up my second machine, another S-Plus, DoubleDiamond 9" upright 2CM, 10mhz board.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »

This is my experience in the last two days,  don't think I have a bitch. Please understand I live in a one horse town and this package was in 7 Post Office buildings and was still ready for pickup in a day and a half. Oh about 275 miles

Your Label Number Service Status of Your Item Date & Time Location Features

Result 1  9114901075742420101422
  Priority Mail®
 Available for Pickup
 May 23, 2013, 8:32 am
 OVERTON, NV 89040 
 Expected Delivery By:
May 23, 2013

USPS Tracking / Delivery Confirmation™

Arrival at Post Office
 May 23, 2013, 8:11 am
 OVERTON, NV 89040 

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
 May 22, 2013, 3:44 pm
 LAS VEGAS, NV 89120 

Depart USPS Sort Facility
 May 21, 2013
 BAKERSFIELD, CA 93380 

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
 May 21, 2013, 8:34 pm
 BAKERSFIELD, CA 93380 

Acceptance
 May 21, 2013, 2:17 pm
 LLANO, CA 93544 

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.