Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Other Hobbies and Interests
| | |-+  need setup help on NETGEAR router to hook up a DVR security system
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need setup help on NETGEAR router to hook up a DVR security system  (Read 30811 times)
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1470

Wild thing !

« on: March 24, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »

I have a working Netgear N300 router hooked up and want to add my security camera DVR to it.
Can't figure out the correct IP address that go into forwarding ....

anyone out there a whiz ? can donate to your pocket book $$$$$

thank you

Dan
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:38:49 PM by U.S.AutoService » Logged

waving flag  U.S.Auto Service
      Dan
BR549 Auto Sales
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 499

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »

What brand security DVR are you using?
BR549 Auto Sales
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 499

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »

Do you have a static IP address for it?
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »

What brand security DVR are you using?

I have a 16 Channel speco Technologics , and a Netgear n300 WNR2000.  
I know a little about static IP, I have that at work , I was told that my IP here at home would not change.

I go to the websight Netgear and try to set up port forwarding , but get lost there.

Dan

Dan
jrookstool
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »

port forwarding is just want it sounds like. Most DVR's use port 80,85 or 8080 and 9000. All that needs to be set is a forward of the correct port(s) to the DVR's IP address.
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

port forwarding is just want it sounds like. Most DVR's use port 80,85 or 8080 and 9000. All that needs to be set is a forward of the correct port(s) to the DVR's IP address.

I guess my bigest problem is What IP address to use.  When I do IPconfig I get one ip address and when I go on line at "whatismyipaddreess.com" I get a diffrent one. 

Dan

Dan
jrookstool
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »

The IP address you are needing to forward the router to is the PRIVATE ip address - the one inside your own network. Unless yours is something our of the ordinary, it should be a CLASS A Private - 192.168.xxx.xxx
whatismyipaddreess.com will give you the public address - you can use this to log on to your DVR from other locations, like work....

If you look at the IP settings on the DVR, it should give you the private IP address and the Ports. So if your IP on the DVR is 192.168.1.99 with a port of 82 then to log on to the DVR you open Internet Explorer and in the address bar enter http://192.168.1.99:80    this should bring up a log on screen.
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »

The IP address you are needing to forward the router to is the PRIVATE ip address - the one inside your own network. Unless yours is something our of the ordinary, it should be a CLASS A Private - 192.168.xxx.xxx
whatismyipaddreess.com will give you the public address - you can use this to log on to your DVR from other locations, like work....

If you look at the IP settings on the DVR, it should give you the private IP address and the Ports. So if your IP on the DVR is 192.168.1.99 with a port of 82 then to log on to the DVR you open Internet Explorer and in the address bar enter http://192.168.1.99:80    this should bring up a log on screen.

I looked at the settings on thje DVR , but it does not have a PORT assignment, It does allow me to change the ip address of the dvr.    I will up load a picture of the screan tonight.  Hope you can help..

Dan

Dan
Nashional
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »

Can you access the DVR from a computer on your network at home with just the IP address? If so, the port is 80.
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »

Can you access the DVR from a computer on your network at home with just the IP address? If so, the port is 80.

I can not access the DVR from the computer, I can access the menu from its monitor .

Dan

Dan
Nashional
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 17

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »

I guess the question is, what exactly are you trying to access from the DVR to cause to you need to "add" it to your router?
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »

I guess the question is, what exactly are you trying to access from the DVR to cause to you need to "add" it to your router?

I want to add the DVR (home security cameras) to the Router so I can remote view the DVR.  I have almost the same set up at my shop and I can view my shop cameras from anywhere.

Dan

Dan
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 114

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

I can not access the DVR from the computer, I can access the menu from its monitor .

Dan
Double check the IP address on the DVR and make sure DHCP is turned off on the DVR.  On your router net gear DHCP will more than likely be enabled with a range of addresses to be used, the DVR should be given an address outside that range so that it doesn't result in an ip conflict.  While the 192.168.xxx.xxx is  common on the private side, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx is another often used in a business setting.  Check your router (logon) and double check which private network it is set up for or go to a command prompt if using windows and type in "ipconfig /all", that will give you all the info.

.  You will have 2 networks on the router, 1private and 1public, you are only interested in the private network (192.168.xxx.xxx, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, 172.16.xxx.xxx).  Once you have your DVR setup with an ip on the same network you should be able to logon to the DVR with your browser.  I think your DVR might use a default port of 100 but first make sure it's on the same network.

Once this is working then you can move on to setting up the router to forward the port used by DVR that will give you remote access.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:34:55 PM by Ed_milehi » Logged
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »

In my experience dvr setup is sometimes very confusing especially once you get to remote viewing.  I agee people get confused with public, private addresses and when to add the port after the ip. If a person is trying to gain access while on the same network as the DVR, the DVR ip is all that is needed,  if outside the network then the port must be added to the public ip in order for the router to forward that port to the private ip.  Adding the port while on the private DVR network causes confusion.

Another good tool is canyouseeme.org, some providers will block ports, this site will verify whether or not they see the chosen port, the speco default i think is 100.
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »

I think I have it real close.  Here is what I have this morning.   When I go onto the netgear setup sight it tell me I have 2 devices hooked to my router.  When I unplug the DVR it says only one.   I gave the DVR an ip address 192.168.1.252 and found a setting for trigger port and made that 100.  

I can not see the DVR , but I did notice some places I see netmask 255.255.255 and some places its 255.255.248
also I went to can youseemenow.org and it can't see port 100 (but that sight is looking for IP 98.224.XXXXXXXXX not the 192.168.XXXXXXXXXX

I also went to cmd and did a ping command for my dvr ip 192.168.1.252 and it saw the connection

I think its close ..... any tweeks you can think of ?

Dan

Dan
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »

the 98.x.x.x IP is the IP address of your router assigned to it by your Internet provider
the 192.168.0.252 is the local ip of your DVR (your computer is using the other IP and the router IP is 192.168.0.1 (pretty much normal)

You need to set the port fowarding to 192.168.0.252 all your local net masks need to be 255.255.255.0 do not change anything on the WAN side
May I suggest that you adjust the IP on the DVR to 192.168.0.10 and adjust your port forwarding to match

You may have to forward TCP and UDP packets to the DVR. for it work properly.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

I think I have it real close.  Here is what I have this morning.   When I go onto the netgear setup sight it tell me I have 2 devices hooked to my router.  When I unplug the DVR it says only one.   I gave the DVR an ip address 192.168.1.252 and found a setting for trigger port and made that 100. 

I can not see the DVR , but I did notice some places I see netmask 255.255.255 and some places its 255.255.248
also I went to can youseemenow.org and it can't see port 100 (but that sight is looking for IP 98.224.XXXXXXXXX not the 192.168.XXXXXXXXXX

I also went to cmd and did a ping command for my dvr ip 192.168.1.252 and it saw the connection

I think its close ..... any tweeks you can think of ?
              Dan
Accomplishing a ping is a first step, you're making progress.  The netmask on the DVR should be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway should be the private ip of your net gear router, more than likely 192.168.1.1.  Again don't confuse your public and private settings. Since you can ping, your browser should see the DVR and will attempt to download a web client, sometimes firewall security will prevent this and you will need to look at settings or grant permissions for the DVR.  Many of these DVRs offer free client software that doesn't need a browser such as CMS.  See if that is offered by Speco.  If your still having proiblems feel free to PM me with a phone # and I'll give you a call, sometimes easier and quicker by phone.

When the above is working then set up port forwarding on the router but that is a later step, you must first be able to communicate with the DVR from within the network.  In case you accomplish connecting through a browser then the next step is remote connection.  Then the port forwarding becomes important, on the netgear go to advanced settings and set port forwarding up.  Give it any name such as DVR, protocol = TCP/UDP,  external starting port = 100 (I'm assuming the DVR is using the default) and the external ending port also at 100, and the internal ip address will be the DVR ip, I think you said it was working on 192.168.1.252.  Also check that the DVR has DHCP disabled or the DVR might grab a new ip when it is rebooted. After port forwarding is configured go to canyouseeme.org and put in 100 for port to be tested, if you get success that means not only that your ISP is not blocking the port but also that the DVR is responding to the inquiry.

Earlier you mentioned you thought your ISP provided you with a static address, that would be unusual and also often means an additional fee if it is true, find out for sure whether or not you have static or DHCP from your provider or look in the netgear setup, if you see a lease time you have DHCP, it becomes important when you setup remote viewing and becomes a pain every time your router renews the lease with the provider, I have comcast and the lease time is every 4 days.  Another item to config on the DVR under network since for now DHCP is turned off is DNS, you can get your DNS addresses by using the command prompt  with the ipconfig /all.

Just checked Speco's website and they have client software for both Windows and Mac   http://www.specotech.com/rs-dvr-software-downloads.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:01:21 PM by Ed_milehi » Logged
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

Just noticed that you set up the port forwarding, you can try and put in 192.168.1.252:100 in your browser and see if if makes a difference.  While many DVRs don't require the port when accessing from within the network, speco might be different.
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

UPDATE: Tuesday 2:00 pm

Been on the phone with comcast for an hour and a half.  They can not give static IP's to home customers, but can to business.  They said that the dynamic ip would hardly ever change.

I did change the IP on the dvr from 252 to 10 , and did a cmd ping and saw it.  Also change the port to 80 .

No luck at canyouseeme.org , can not see me yet. 

At work will be home to play with it later tonight

Dan

Dan
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »

UPDATE: Tuesday 2:00 pm

Been on the phone with comcast for an hour and a half.  They can not give static IP's to home customers, but can to business.  They said that the dynamic ip would hardly ever change.

I did change the IP on the dvr from 252 to 10 , and did a cmd ping and saw it.  Also change the port to 80 .

No luck at canyouseeme.org , can not see me yet.  

At work will be home to play with it later tonight

Dan
what are your other network settings on the dvr?  When you do make changes to the network, be sure and do a network restart or the changes aren't in effect.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:37:27 PM by Ed_milehi » Logged
U.S.AutoService
Contributing NLG Member

Wild thing !

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »

Well I took all the advice and its working, kinda.  I can now access the dvr on-line.  I changed some security settings and some IP settings.  my router seems to be working, but now will not see my laptop, but my IPad works.  it still can not be seen on canyouseeme.org. 
Error: I could not see your service on 98.224.147.149 on port (80)
Reason: Connection timed out

and the DVR gateway setting I keep changing to 192.168.1.10 but it keeps going back to 192.168.1.252

so its just a few bugs left to work out.

Everyone who helped is entitled to some thank you's and some buck$..  pm me an address , will take car of you

lots of thanks you..

Dab

Dan
Ed_milehi
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:02 PM »

Well I took all the advice and its working, kinda.  I can now access the dvr on-line.  I changed some security settings and some IP settings.  my router seems to be working, but now will not see my laptop, but my IPad works.  it still can not be seen on canyouseeme.org.  
Error: I could not see your service on 98.224.147.149 on port (80)
Reason: Connection timed out

and the DVR gateway setting I keep changing to 192.168.1.10 but it keeps going back to 192.168.1.252

so its just a few bugs left to work out.

Everyone who helped is entitled to some thank you's and some buck$..  pm me an address , will take car of you

lots of thanks you..

Dab
On the lan setup of the DVR you want:
DHCP OFF
IP 192.168.1.X  252 is fine as long as no other device is using it
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (that is the normal gateway if using 192.168.1.X network
DNS   68.87.64.146  (that is a comcast DNS for the east)

the trigger port can be 80, 85, 100 doesn't matter as long as you forward the DVR ip to that port in your netgear router. Since you are now getting to the DVR from your computer but canyouseeme.org can't see your port more than likely the dvr doesn't know how to respond, it sounds like it's missing the correct gateway.

Remember to reset DVR after making changes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:44:40 PM by Ed_milehi » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.