Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Other Hobbies and Interests
| | |-+  Classic car restoration.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic car restoration.  (Read 7875 times)
Slam
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

Hey all, Slots are my secondary hobby. I spend most of my spare time working on old cars. Unfortunately, mostly on other peoples cars instead of my own. Currently I am doing a ground up resto on my 64 Galaxie 500 2 door sedan. Frame was completely stripped down & refinished. I painted it electric blue with pearl white flames, installed all new suspension components, rebuilt the diff, etc. While the body was off the frame, I replaced some floor pans, stripped the complete underside & refinished. Engine: started out with a 74 302 / c4 trans. stroked it to a 347, swapped to a built c6 trans.worked over a set of 65 289 closed chamber heads. comp cams roller rockers, cam, lifters, springs, gear drive, Keith b pistons (running around 10.2 : 1 compression) billet electronic ignition, crane cams control box. & so on. Just dropped the body on the frame, & installed the engine & tranny last week. Time to get crackin on the body.

* 64 galaxie body install 018.JPG (554.83 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 272 times.)
camapl
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:36:04 AM »

It's awesome to see the old steel being put back in play!  Keep at it and don't forget to show us pictures along the way!
Slam

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

I sure will.
kenokarz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 284

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »

Very nice, I did a couple of Chevy nomads, frame off , more work and hours than I ever thought I would put into them,
But we'll worth it , sweet ride,you have there,
Slam

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »

Thank you. You still have the Nomads?  It's funny how a quick fix-up job on a car can turn into a 2 year project.                                                                                                                         Famous words anyone who restore's anything has used-     "While I have it apart I might as well ....."  Silly Me!
PyratDET
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:06:28 AM »

Helping a friend restore / build a 67 Nova SS.  It was originally a 6 cylinder car (found the build sheet behind the rear seat) He had sourced a numbers matching 327 block but Kim Barr (guy doing the machining on the block)  said one of the cylinders was too out of spec.  So going with a period correct vette block.

He has had the car sitting in his garage for the last 8 years, finally he starts working on it.  lol.  It took his wife having a baby, + quitting drinking, to make him finally start working on the car.  About damm time.   applause   
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 02:45:25 AM »

It took his wife having a baby, + quitting drinking, to make him finally start working on the car.  About damm time.   applause   

Life happens, to everyone!!! Sometimes it just takes awhile to get everything settled!

Glad to have you! Keep us posted on the Nova!

Slam

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »

Quick update on the Galaxie, I am in the reassemble phase now, just finished restoring the dash & int trim parts, just waiting on the knob bezels to come in.Note the custom gauge pod on the dash, I used the original speaker grill for the top when i fabbed it. Here is a couple before & after shots.

* 1964 Galaxie before pics 009.JPG (1138.27 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 246 times.)

* dash restored 001.JPG (579.25 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 267 times.)
Junkman1
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 3

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »

Sweet car..
I used to do them for a living.. Can't find time now..
Currently have a 64 falcon Futura with a alum head 347 being painted.. like should have been 2 days ago..lol..

Have a 1971 split bumper Camaro next.. then a 65 cobra.. then 72 mustang mach 1...

Or just dump them.. even when they are done.. I won't be able to drive them.
Slam

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:21:48 AM »

Sweet car..
I used to do them for a living.. Can't find time now..
Currently have a 64 falcon Futura with a alum head 347 being painted.. like should have been 2 days ago..lol..

Have a 1971 split bumper Camaro next.. then a 65 cobra.. then 72 mustang mach 1...

Or just dump them.. even when they are done.. I won't be able to drive them.
Nice,  post some pics when you get it back.
Junkman1
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:58:16 AM »

Here's the falcon .. as received.. salvage car.. Few months ago.
Everything was / is brand new...

I think it was too fast for the old owner.. or too little brakes..lol

Seen the body guy today.. Saturday for paint now.. never ending story.. ..

Looks like your car is solid.. Western car?

* 10-10-13 880 (800x451).jpg (192.07 KB, 800x451 - viewed 251 times.)
Slam

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

Here's the falcon .. as received.. salvage car.. Few months ago.
Everything was / is brand new...

I think it was too fast for the old owner.. or too little brakes..lol

Seen the body guy today.. Saturday for paint now.. never ending story.. ..

Looks like your car is solid.. Western car?
Yep, I would have to agree with you, looks like they let it get away from them. The Galaxie is a Texas car, it was parked in a barn in the mid 70's. drivers side floor was gone & water pooled in the cowl rusting all the metal around the fresh air vents. other than that it is in really good shape. I cut out all the cancer & replaced with new metal. Ill post a pic of the floor before.
Styx

Total Karma Storms: 15

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 12:42:52 AM »

Hello,

Quick painting question for you car restoration guys...

I have a crappy air compressor, and would really like to paint some crappy rusted metal with the huge flakes that give it that cool deep shine that cars and bikes have. I am wondering what kind of store will sell me the clear paint for spraying, and the metallic flakes. Do you reccomend any specific brands?

It's for an outdoor metal ornament, nothing too fancy. Any improvement to it would be a solid improvement. It's also a surprise to decorate the place a bit.

-Styx
Slam

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »

Hello,

I have a crappy air compressor, and would really like to paint some crappy rusted metal with the huge flakes that give it that cool deep shine that cars and bikes have. I am wondering what kind of store will sell me the clear paint for spraying, and the metallic flakes. Do you reccomend any specific brands?

It's for an outdoor metal ornament, nothing too fancy. Any improvement to it would be a solid improvement. It's also a surprise to decorate the place a bit.

-Styx
Shopline  or Tremco clear would be about the cheapest @ under $100 for the clear & hardener. There is a downfall to using a cheap clearcoat though. They have a lower amount of solids, meaning you will have to put multiple coats to = a single coat of a better product. The cheaper clear is also less resistant to weathering/uv & will break down, fade, discolor, peel & at a much quicker rate. What cfm compressor are you planning on using & how large of a piece are you painting? As far as a supplier, you can usually find Tremco at most auto parts stores, Shopline you would have to get from an automotive paint supplier in your area.
Junkman1
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »

Hello,

-Styx

Are you talking just a chair or something? or like a big area?

Any auto body supply place can sell you what you need..2K URETHANE CLEAR. Base coat.. and flake.. but by the time you buy what you need.. you can buy a new piece..lol

I like PPG products, but in your case.. cheapest is fine in my opinion..

if it's just 1 piece, or a couple.. you can just buy spray cans of stuff.. including clear.. It amazing what can be done with spray paints..It won't cover large flake though..But you can get a good effect with some spray can paint w/ metalics in it...

If you want large flake, it gets mixed into the first coat of clear.. then it can take many coats to cover it.. I would think twice about that.. as the coating will be thick.. and chip easily, I'd guess..

SEM a good line of industrial / commercial spray paints..

If your piece is that rusty.. sand or soda blast it first.. then prime.. if it will get wet or snow.. sealing it is a good idea.. them paint . flake . and clear.

Styx

Total Karma Storms: 15

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »

Thanks guys!!

They are metal wire and indoors. They used to be outdoor decorations, but are now on a wall. I never really thought of spray paint, that might be my best option. I had no idea the cost would be so much, totally not worth it to fancy up the junk at that price. I also was hoping to buy (or borrow) the sprayer.

so.. spray paint and glitter? or metallic spray paint (might not give a deep shine that I'm hoping for though)? I'll start to youtube some videos and see.

Oh!! My step dad has an autobody shop. Maybe he'd just let me use a few things!! That would be cool, he specializes on snowmobiles and motorcycles mostly. I didn't even think of that as an option until now!  Duh! Here's hoping!!

-Styx
Junkman1
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

I bet if you do the prep work.. your step dad will shoot it for you..

He'll have everything that is need.. except the flake.. I bet.. Adding so pearl tint might be cool too..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.