Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 04:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Other Hobbies and Interests that our NLG members enjoy.
| |-+  Other Hobbies and Interests
| | |-+  Launching a Rocket INTO the MOON!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launching a Rocket INTO the MOON!!!  (Read 3990 times)
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« on: October 08, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »

I saw this story on the news, and knew that some of our members are into astronomy, so I thought I would ask if they were going to try and watch???

(Yes this is a total lead in to STATFREAK, as I know he has a bazooka cannon telescope!!!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing )

garfield , Are you gonna drag the big lens out to the desert to watch? Scratch Head

Just curious on my part, nothing more than that.

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:09:35 AM »

That's quite the bottle rocket, eh?  Yes, I'm going to drag out the scope, but only as far as my backyard. I won't need to get to the dark skies of the open desert to see the surface of the moon, and it will be close to overhead at the time of impact. stir the pot / get cooking

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »

Yup, should be good viewing from here also.

Thanks,
Bill
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »

I don't have your guys' toys, so I am going to watch it on the news!  hissy fit

I hope that it is not like the recent TV Movie with David James Elliot of JAG, where the moon breaks in half or something like that! no no

Does anyone think we will hear the "Man In The Moon" yelp in pain at the time of impact????  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

CH CaptainHappy

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »

...Does anyone think we will hear the "Man In The Moon" yelp in pain at the time of impact????  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

CH CaptainHappy

No, we won't hear any yelps: he's a moon's moon.  boss  He's had far larger impacts from big fat rocks thrown at him from the bleachers over the eons.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I saw it in my scope. bawling bawling  I had printed pictures of the moon's surface showing the point of impact in a mirror image and upside-down (well, I only had to turn the sheet around after printing the mirror image Tongue Out) in order to match the view through the scope and zero in on the correct location.

I only have an 8" scope but it's an LX-200 and the mount is rock solid, so I was able to use a 6.4mm eyepiece, which gave me 312.5x magnification and a sharp, steady image. I have confirmed that I had the correct spot in my sights, and I thought that I saw some small reflections, but I'm not sure. At least I got to look at some very nice open clusters with my 20mm and 31mm Naglers earlier in the evening. yes

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »

I put both 8" scopes out before I went to bed and set the CCD imager up on one, and set my alarm for 4:15 am.  hyper

Got up and went outside, drew a bead on the impact site and waited. Saw a small flash right as my WWV-set clock hit the right time, no plume like they said we'd be able to see.  hissy fit

Went back to bed, no pictures. no sleep

Thanks,
Bill
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »

Even the pictures that they put out were pretty boring... The only thing that looked really good was their pre event animation that they put out to hype the event! I hope that did not cost as much as the actual mission???  frying pan frying pan frying pan

CH CaptainHappy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.