Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:06:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Slot Machine Oxidation -
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slot Machine Oxidation -  (Read 7027 times)
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 624

« on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »

I would like to ask everyone's opinion on this - I have a couple of slot machines -  

on one of the machines I notice this oxidatoin on the inside.  There seems to be much more rust on this reel touch than the other machines.  I'm assuming that this machine was played much more
  1 because it's older and 2 because they were popular games

my question is this -  regardless of how this oxidation and rust got there (it's all over the inside of the door too)      Is it anything I should be concerned about -  spreading?     Like StayOuttadaBunker said in another post  - this machine is like a classic car to me  and I'd like to pass it on to my son one day.

1.   Is there anyway to remove this oxidation?

2.  On a separate note the door of this reel touch has many more scratches than my other machines -  can it be re-chromed? or how much is an S2000 door (**and difficult to change****)  in better condition?   

I'd love to change it but there is an awful lot of stuff on there

* photo 1.JPG (505.98 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 295 times.)

* photo 2.JPG (489.81 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 268 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »

I don't know how to get rid of oxidization of the metals Munch
but I'm thinking that some type of liquid they use to neutralize it? Scratch Head 3
Maybe like the stuff they use at automotive shops to clean car batteries might work? 
I'll defer to someone that really knows what they're talking about.  yes
I'm just trying to help ya with ideas in any way I can...  arrow
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »

Just takes a small nick or scratch on metals and in the right conditions it will spread like wild fire.  These are located in your basement right?  Are you running a dehumidifier?

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:18 AM »

Just paint over it.  Wink

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »

Munch, I've got a good chrome door you can have for the cost of shipping. It'll take you about an hour to transfer all the buttons and what not over from your current door, but the chrome on this one is in very good shape. Send me a PM if interested
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

Thanks!  I'm sending cowboy a PM -

My machines are in the basement - however it's finished and has central air and heat -  there is no moisture issue at all - 

I believe that this is from drink spills  -   

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »

Yoeddy mentioned painting over it but rust WILL go through paint in time.
I think stores that carry paint would have some sort of spray like "Rustoleum" or something like that?
I don't know if it helps with the oxidization though...
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »

Here's a pic of the machine for cowboy

Moderator note: I stood the machine up for ya'. SF garfield  Now my back hurts. bust gut laughing

* photo.JPG (354.45 KB, 960x1296 - viewed 251 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:59:56 PM by StatFreak » Logged
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »

I have a reel shelf I can give you.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »

I didn't try to clean it yet -  let me see what happens
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »

Here's a pic of the machine for cowboy
Munch, after 2189 posts, you still leave your machines resting on their sides?  Crazy frying pan (you know you asked for it!) Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Bunker, Rustoleum will coat the metal and prevent rust from forming, but the existing rust would need to be completely removed beforehand. Once that's done, he probably won't need the paint.

What do our pros do to clean their machines? I know that the seller from whom I bought my first machines pulled out everything and steam cleaned the insides of the cabinets. I think one can also sand down the rust.

That's what I did with my Gamemaker, but the inside of the door is still somewhat funky. However, I'm not as picky (at the moment) about its condition as you are about yours, so you'd have to do more than I did, or possibly take Cowboy up on his offer for a replacement door.

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »

409, sandpaper, lacquer thinner, acetone, and a gob of paper towel. 

Jason

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »

I've cleaned it with some brillo -and it came right off and looks good -

My question for the experts is this:  Is this something I have to worry about?  -  Is this the start of rust infestation?  Or the machine is 20 years old and it will be fine for the next 100 years?

Also -  Has anyone come across something like this?
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »

The rust at the bottom center of your cabinet I have seen often.  It's the result of a drink spill that sat there.  I know this for certain because you can trace the spill discoloration from the reel glass, down the belly glass light cover, to the bottom center of the cabinet usually.  The white oxidation is more from moisture in the air.  I know you said in an earlier post that you basement is "finished and has AC".  I can tell you that any basement has significant humidity, especially if your home was built more than 10 years ago.  In recent years we use polymer based sealers on the outsides of basement walls that helps to some extent.  But I would bet there is more moisture in your air than you think.  If you didn't have this oxidation to the same extent when you got you machine as compared to now...well it has to be coming from moisture in the air.  

Bottom line though...long term I don't think it could really get so bad to the point that the machine is going to fall apart...it would half to be sitting outside for years for that to happen.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:38:44 PM by Bettor Slots » Logged

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »

Or the machine is 20 years old and it will be fine for the next 100 years?

Munch, are you making plans to be able to pull the handle from 6 feet under?  LOL!

Jason

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »

you can trace the spill discoloration from the reel glass, down the belly glass light cover, to the bottom center of the cabinet usually.  

This is certainly there -

I'm going to guess that a drink sat in this for quite a while.   I'm discounting the moisture only because I had the place renovated when I moved in and know what's going on behind the walls.   Also this machine sits next to an S+ that's been in the same location for at least an additional year and it does not show any signed of this  -- none of my other machines do as a matter of fact
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »

heee heee

Actually I am... I would love to pass my collection on to my son one day.   (He'll probably sell them for scrap metal after i croak)

These machines will be classic in 30 years - and I'll only be 67

if my dad had a mills or classic machine ....... ohhh I'd love LOVE one of those old machines
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »

Why not buy an inexpensive digital hygrometer and stick it in your basement? If it has an upper and lower memory, so much the better. Then you'll be able to keep an eye on your basement's humidity.

You can probably get one at S#^% Shack for a few bucks.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.