Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  NLG Users Repair Log's (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Super Bobble Bobble (Bubble Bobble bootleg) repair log
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Bobble Bobble (Bubble Bobble bootleg) repair log  (Read 7095 times)
Zabanitu
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »

this is a 2 board bootleg,
the pcb came dead, looked at the clock circuit and found bad repairs with giga wires to clock and ics and big solder blobs, replaced wiring with 30AWG kynar wire but still no go.
looked further and the 'ls74 near the xtal was replaced and board started alive but with no sound.
i socketed the sound Z80 and ran a bus test with fluke 9010a, and it gave me data bit 7 stuck, so i cut every data bit 7 legs on the data path and reran the test -> ok.
started resolddering legs to find the culprit was yamaha ym2203 !
socketed and replaced still no sound.
i found that the TL074 that biases the DACs (YM3014) was giving out -2V instead of +2.5V, obviously killing the DACs.
so i replaced TL074 and 2x YM3014 and the sound came back !!!

jamma adapter completed the job.
Zabanitu

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »

after a while the board developed another nasty problem: it resets or freezes after some minutes of warming up, then resets after just 1 minute.....
armed with coolant spray i traced it down to prom  labelled "4" near Z80 #2 (it was an Intel P27256 plastic prom); replacing it with a 27C256 from a scrap board fixed the reset/lockup problem.
i never thought a prom could develop warm dependant defects, i thought RAMS where  much more prone to this !

Zab
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »

after a while the board developed another nasty problem: it resets or freezes after some minutes of warming up, then resets after just 1 minute.....
armed with coolant spray i traced it down to prom  labelled "4" near Z80 #2 (it was an Intel P27256 plastic prom); replacing it with a 27C256 from a scrap board fixed the reset/lockup problem.
i never thought a prom could develop warm dependant defects, i thought RAMS where  much more prone to this !

Zab

I've seen warm defects that would come and go if you tapped on the chips. I think it was a bond wire issue where it connected to either the die or the pin for the IC leg.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
palindrome

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:06:32 AM »

I picked up a 2 board Super Bobble Bobble bootleg off eBay very recently.

The video would black out completely or the picture would be abnormal, tapping the board fixed the display or broke it.

I initially thought that I was dealing with a bad connector to the video board. I found that one of the pins on the sn74L377n ( ic98 ) on the video board had barely any solder on it & it was making intermittent contact causing the issue.

These boards tend to have some irregularities, some of the chips are not completely pressed into their holes although the pins are still making contact.

channelmaniac

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

Yeah, you have to check factory soldering. First thing a board gets when it's put on the bench is a visual check for scratched/gouged traces, spills/foreign substances, bent pins, etc.

I had an old ISA video card that had a surface mount tantalum cap that wasn't soldered on one end and an SVGA monitor that had no solder on the + lead of the bridge rectifier. It's amazing how many factory screwups there are, like a switching power supply that they didn't remove the insulation from one pin of the switching transformer... Crazy!

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

palindrome

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:09:11 AM »

Its quite surprising that this board would have left the factory in that state and was probably used for many years and perhaps exhibiting that same problem from time to time, a small flex of the board or tap enough to get it working until it happens again. These boards were very clean when I received them much to my surprise for a very popular game,  I assume they gave up on it and stored it somewhere for many years.

I just recently received a King Of Boxer through eBay ( one of my fav games ) with a very similar problem, there was a bypass to repair a broken track but it was not a good repair & moving the board/wire was enough to break the display so I removed the AWG wire.  I could not find a hint of corrosion or break in the track, I used a magnifying glass and could see that the track had a very small gap, it appeared to be a manufacturing issue to me rather than a gouge, it still had the original lacquer intact where the fault was. I don't understand why anyone would use a patch like that with such a tiny break. I just rubbed back the the trace on both sides to the bare copper and bridged it with a smidge amount of solder & sealed the repair with PCB lacquer. Good as new.
channelmaniac

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »

Not too surprising.

I've seen several Capcom boards from the Buster Bros/1943 era of gaming that have a single PLCC chip with multiple pins barely soldered. You flex the board and the solder on those pins crack and you have odd display problems. Reflow the chip and the problem goes away.

It's very easy to see the weak solder on a few pins on that chip.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.