Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  NLG Users Repair Log's (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Ghosts 'n Goblins Bootleg repair log
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghosts 'n Goblins Bootleg repair log  (Read 4659 times)
Zabanitu
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »

this board came with no program, charatcter and background eproms, only sprites eproms where present
i burnt a new set form "gngbl" and fired the board.
i had a lot of background problems, like floating pins generating sparkling pixels and ghost pictures.
i replaced a 28 pin socket in the bkg eproms, replaced also the 2x 50 pins flat cables that connect the 2 boards.

now i had a nice  picture but the red in the characters where randomly missing and coming back.
this was traced to a faulty LS174 @ 4F on cpu board (intermittent output)

after a little burn in the sprites developed jailbars and sometimes the game just locked up with a full white screen, i had to power cycle the board to have it working again.
found a faulty 2114 @11H in video board (found by piggybacking), replacing the ram just fixed sprites corruption and the random white screen crash (probably it loaded the Address Buss too much ?)

now i had a nice looking video but the background (like the little hill you find in the 1st screen) was drawn only in the first left column of the screen instead of the right side, when the whole screen was scrolled, the correct background was drawn completely reversed.
after tracing with 'oscope and video probe i found a LS74 @ 14A in the video board whose output was stuck low, this prevented the correct display of the background.
Fortunately capcom schematics are divided into sections and this was the SCROLL H POSITION

replacement of a faulty YM3014 also fixed a missing voice in the audio generation part.

Phew !

Zab
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »

Nice! That board set is a bitch to work on.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Zabanitu
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »

just an update:
after some hours of burn-in the board had locked up again and won't startup like 90% of the times.
when it would start the screen showed "VRAM NO GOOD 20xx", other time it would just display garbage and the cpu would stop executing code.
i don't have any 6809 pod so i had to work trial & error!
I followed the schematics and RAM at address 2000-27FF is the 2016 character ram on the cpu board (location 7H).
after tryng to replace the ram chip, the ls245 carryng data to it, i found that the LS00 @ 7F wich is responsible to decode tha R/W signal from cpu to outside world the baord was fixed.
Now it boots 100% of the times and had a burn-in of several hours without a hitch.
probably the previous white screen problem was generated by the flaky LS00
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.