Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  NLG Users Repair Log's (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  NeoGeo MV4F - White screen / Lines in graphics - Repair Log
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NeoGeo MV4F - White screen / Lines in graphics - Repair Log  (Read 2737 times)
srarcade
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:20 AM »

Purchased a used MV4F that was marked non-working with the intent of fixing it to add a 4 slot to my collection. State when received was white screen when powered on.

Fix 1: Checked battery first- original battery was in place and corroded several traces nearest to it and below it. I tested all pins and traces running in the bad area on the large 64? pin connector to the right of the battery, found 5 bad traces from the corrosion. 3 traces were directly to the edge connector on pins 8 and 9. Applying jumpers to fix traces got the board to power on and run games but there were lines in the background graphics. Audio is also very poor.

Fix 2: Just probing around the output line buffers (74F253) to make sure they were all alive I found one was dead. Turned out the pin #1 on 7A was broken, it looks like this chip took a hit at some point and it slightly bent it and broke the leg. Applied a little solder to fix. Lines were now fixed for slots 1, 2 and 3. This is when I noticed slot 4 still has lines but they are on the sprites as well as in the background.

Fix 3: I looked closer into the input/outputs of all the 74F253s. All chips except for D1 appeared to be working correctly. On D1, pin #9 (output b) was stuck high only when slot #4 was active. Checking the b input on D1 pin #13, it was null. I followed the trace back to pin B21 on slot 4. The trace was broken although it looked fine to the eye. I made a jumper, lines now gone from slot 4. All slots looking great now!

Fix 4: Low audio/distortion- replaced all caps in audio area, sound is now working perfect.

Fix 5: Remote installed a battery holder and a 1/2AA battery, glued it outside the case, no more leaks.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »

Those caps are a pain, no? Wink

Nice fix!

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.