Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 02:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  Mechanical meter behavior question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechanical meter behavior question  (Read 2818 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: May 19, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »

Ok, maybe I'm over thinking this or just stayed up too late last night. I'm a little confused on the something with the mechanical meters. I'm only interested in the coin in and coin out meters.

For the purpose of this discussion, let's just assume both meters are at 0. I put 20 credits on the machine. Nothing happens with the meters (as expected). If I just cashed out at this point, nothing would happen either since I have never played any of them. That's fine too.

So now, I start playing. I press max bet (lets say it's 5 coin machine) and the coin in increments 5. Again, this is expected. The next max bet also increments it by 5 (total 10 in). Now, let's say I hit a win of 5. I now have 15 credits on the machine. 10 I still had left and 5 I just won. If I cash out, the coin out increments by 5 since that is all the machine actually paid out. Again, all is well.

Now here is the part I don't get yet. Let's say I started with 100 credits. I'm playing for a while. All this time only the coin in is incrementing with each bet as expected. Wins are going to the credits. Credits are going up and down as I play. Now at some point the coin out starts incrementing at the same rate as the coin in. In other words every time press max bet, 5 coins in register and 5 coins out.

So my question is - What is causing the coin out to increment at the time I make the bet? Is it because I'm actually winning more than I put in at this point?

In case anyone is wondering why I care about this, I was working on another one of my projects  stir the pot / get cooking that uses a small microcontroller to monitor the coin in and coin out meter signals and displays current %. I know, I have too much time on my hands. Tongue Out  However this behavior is throwing a wrench in things because the controller can not monitor both meter outputs at the same time, so having both meters increment at the same time will screw up the readings.  knockout
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:43:57 AM by poppo » Logged
Ozzy
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 254

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »

Example $1.00 machine, meters incrementing 1 for 1

Start
Coin In         000000
Coin Out       000000

Insert $100
Coin In         000000
Coin Out       000000

Play 5 credits win 0
Coin In         000005
Coin Out       000000

Play 5 credits win 10
Coin In         000010
Coin Out       000000

Play another 80 credits without winning
Coin In         000100
Coin Out       000000

You are now left with only 10 credits on machine that was your winnings from the 2nd game play

Play 5 credits
Coin In         000105
Coin Out       000005

Coin out increments because you have bet 5 credits from actual winnings so machine has given up that 5 credits as you have spent them and it is coin out even though no physical.

O Z Z Y Scratch Head
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »

Sounds like you need to modify a pachislo "battlecounter" and attach it to the slot to see the stats up close and personal:
http://www.pachistat.com/

I just had a great idea.......
If a way could be found to get the pulse signal to the cable and use this for a Vegas slot, then it would fit very nicely in the player tracking area and the player would have vital stats at their fingertips.
However, since the payback % is factored on millions of pulls, it would only give short-term data which may not matter but only to the player.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:40:15 AM by reho33 » Logged

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
poppo

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

Coin out increments because you have bet 5 credits from actual winnings so machine has given up that 5 credits as you have spent them and it is coin out even though no physical.

Now that I am more awake, it is making more sense. When I was fiddling with it last night, it seemed that coin out was incrementing randomly and without any pattern. But I was not really paying attention to what I was doing as far as adding credits and cashing out.

In any case, it looks like my project is hosed unless I can find a simple way to read both meters at the same time. It's possible they are not actually incrementing at the exact same time, but alternating back and forth really fast (I need to put my scope on it). And  I don't know if my controller is fast enough to poll them if they are alternating. Oh well, it looked like it was going to be an easy project as it only took a few dozen lines of code to do it.

* meter.jpg (226.46 KB, 537x494 - viewed 197 times.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:45:32 PM by poppo » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »

I love these ideas a lot guys!
Watching with much interest!  yes yummy

It would be awesome to see this short term % window in the player tracking area
or maybe behind an opening on the reel glass?
Really, really neat stuff!!!!
poppo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »

It would be awesome to see this short term % window in the player tracking area or maybe behind an opening on the reel glass?

I already have a display (in addition to my big home-brew progessive) on each machine in the tracking bar area. It would have been simple enough to just add the extra code to that project and maybe alternate between the progressive and %

But I'm going to have to re-think this one. stir the pot / get cooking

* progressive.jpg (261.35 KB, 762x477 - viewed 220 times.)

* progressive big.jpg (343.28 KB, 912x621 - viewed 231 times.)
poppo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »

Sounds like you need to modify a pachislo "battlecounter" and attach it to the slot to see the stats up close and personal:
http://www.pachistat.com/

I had seen one of those on e-bay and that is what had put this on my project list. I already had the hardware to do it, so I figured I would just use that. That battlecounter could probably be made to work but I would need to see some schematics to see how it polls for events. It might have the same problem working with a real slot over a pachisllo.

<edit> I just read this from their FAQ

The good news is that some machines will not allow you to start your first spin until after all the initial 15 tokens have been accounted for, the bad news is that some machines will allow you to start your first BB round spin while it is still sending the token out signal to the PachiSTAT. If you start your first spin before the signals for the 15 tokens have been sent then the Big Bonus Counter will be off.

This sounds very similar to the problem I am encoutering where it is sending both signals at the same time and it will mess up the counter.  knockout
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:54:01 PM by poppo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.