Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Indentification, short pay, glass need & what's it
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indentification, short pay, glass need & what's it  (Read 6896 times)
wrkey
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

« on: September 12, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »

New member and glad to have found this site!   Lots of great information here that has me tremedously!   So here's the story:  I acquired a Bally's EM slot machine that is set for nickle play although I think it is actually a converted $ machine... or at least the hopper is (according to the Into To Bally Slot Machines manual that I have).  I got this from someone who had no idea of what was wrong with it nor had the keys to open it.  A few calls got me a set of keys and I finally opened it to find.... everything there but dusty, dirty and covered with old sticky gunky grease.   Nothing worked as it should.

Since the start I have completely disassembled every component.  Cleaned every connection point.  Lubed what needed to be and oiled the rest.   Currently the machine works with only a few minor glitches that I am looking for help on.

Here's my problems.

1.  Short pay of one coin every time.  This is a three coin machine and the short pay is consistant with the number of coins paid. If 3 coins played then it under pays by 3 coins.  My research indicates that it may be the 'zero stop' adjustment.  Mine is the newer rubber bumer style on an adjustable bolt.  I did adjust this one half turn UP.  This made no difference to the short pay.  Maybe I didn't move it far enough or went the wrong way.   Is this the right place to adjust and I didn't adjust far enough or ?????

2.  The machine seems to have trouble when two coins are played.  Each coin will increase the coin count as is suspected and the coin lights add.  However when 2 coins are played the next coin added does not reset the coin count back to one.  If two coins are added then the 2nd coin actually jumps the coin count up to 3 coins.  This problem is VERY consistant so it's gotta be a very specific mechanicl issue.  Any suggestions of where I should look first?

3.  The first reel does not want to lock out one the spin causing the reel not to spin.  I "fixed" this by putting  thin metal clip on the lift bracket which then allowed the wiper timer latch to lock up until released by the clock.  I can't see where to adjust this 'slack' out.  Any ideas here?  I tried moving the long release arm to to another hole at the end (both directions) but that didn't resolve the problem.

A few more questions:  Can someone identify this machine model for me?  And date it if possible.  There is no model plate on this machine as the plate was replaced with a ad plate from the original seller.  Also, what is the function of the two reels in the last photo.  I think they are what controls the pay outs on multiple coins.  More info would be great!

Well, enough for now.  Thanks in advance  for any help!

Rusty

* DSC_6090.JPG (175.66 KB, 428x640 - viewed 234 times.)

* DSC_6095.JPG (211.98 KB, 640x428 - viewed 204 times.)
wrkey

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »

The zero-stop was the problem.  I have the Pencil eraser type not the rubber disc and on mine the rubber had deteriated and 'swelled' up as it dryed out. It still functions ok.. but I had to back off (raise) the bumper stop 1 1/2 turns to get the pay out exact.

Now... any help on Model / age yet?  Inside my machine is written "Bitter Sweet Orange" if that helps.

One more question... is there an easy way to access the belly glass lamp with out taking the whole door apart?  That light blinks instead of staying on.
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »

I've never seen an orange Bally slot machine before, but I'm kinda liking it.  yes yummy
Not sure if it was that way from Bally or if someone painted all the chrome.

Check for a data tag on the left hand side under the handle.
If it's there, it should have a date stamped into the very top of the tag in the black area.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
wrkey

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »

After some help (encouragement) from a member of PachiTalk I was able to locate the two screws that hold the belly glass light box on.  They are located along the top of the light box inside the door.  Remove these two, unplug the ballast wires and the box folds down for easy removal.

I think your right Neon, it does appear that this machine was repainted.  I think the 'name' written inside might be the name of the paint color used.  The paint is very thick and hard and I suspect it might be a power coat type.

I also think this is a model 1090 as was suggested by the same guy that help me get the light box off.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help!
wrkey

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »

Found some info on Odds Calculation for slot machine and did the below on my machine.  I now have an excel spreadsheet that could be easily used/modify for other machines.  If anyone wants this, just PM me and I'll send it to you.

Bally Electro-Mechanical Slot Machine Model 1090 Odds Calculator                     

No. of Reels   3               
   Stops / Reel   25               
   Total Stops    15,625                
   Overall Odds   90.30%               

1st            Stops      
Symbol   Coin Pay   Reel 1   Reel 2   Reel 3   Possible   Probablity   Return
7   300   1   1   1   1    0.0000640    1.92%
3 Bars   100   3   3   1   9    0.0005760    5.76%
2 Bars   50   4   3   3   36    0.0023040    11.52%
1 Bar   20   5   5   4   100    0.0064000    12.80%
Any Bar   10   12   11   8   911    0.0583040    58.30%
Non-Win   0   12   13   16    14,568     0.9323520    0.00%
               ChkSum    1.0000000    90.30%
wrkey

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »

Sorry.. the copy/paste from Excel didn't go just right.  Hopefully the post is still understandable.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

Found some info on Odds Calculation for slot machine and did the below on my machine.  I now have an excel spreadsheet that could be easily used/modify for other machines.  If anyone wants this, just PM me and I'll send it to you.
Sorry.. the copy/paste from Excel didn't go just right.  Hopefully the post is still understandable.

I fixed it for ya'. wave

Stat garfield

<EDIT> I made a couple of small changes. The number of stops listed as non-wins was actually the number of blanks, which is different from the number of non-winning payouts. As an alternative, you could just remove that row and not indicate the number of blanks, since the table is meant to show the number of paying combinations, and not the number of symbols on each of the strips.
The number of mixed (Any) bar combinations is (correctly) listed as the product of the total number of bars on each reel less the number of winning combinations for each of the straight bar payouts.

Bally Electro-Mechanical Slot Machine Model 1090 Odds Calculator                     

No. of Reels       3               
   Stops / Reel       25               
   Total Stops        15,625                
   Overall Payback   90.30%               

1stStopstotal
Symbol   Coin Pay   Reel 1   Reel 2   Reel 3   combinations   Probablity   Return   
7   300   1   1   1   1    0.0000640    1.92%
3 Bars   100   3   3   1   9    0.0005760    5.76%
2 Bars   50   4   3   3   36    0.0023040     11.52%
1 Bar   20   5   5   4   100    0.0064000    12.80%
Blanks   0   1213   16           
Any Bar   10   12   11   8   911    0.0583040    58.30%
non-wins   0          14,568     0.9323520     0.00%
ChkSum    1.0000000    90.30%
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:31:14 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
wrkey

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:42 AM »

Awesome!   Thanks!
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:53 AM »

The EMs are easy to analyze because they're always WYSIWYG. Still, the first thing I did when I bought my first EM slot was to create an odds sheet just like you did. yes  The stepper slots have virtual strips in the software that map to the symbols seen on the reels, so one can't determine the payout by looking at the strips.

Here are two sample PAR (pay table and reel) sheets for an S+ game. I thought you might be interested in looking at them. One is for Double Diamond, which is about as simple and straight forward as it gets. The second is for Double Diamond Deluxe. There are more complicated PARs than the DDD, but it's a good companion to compare to the straight DD to see the difference in complexity when symbols that nudge up and down are added.

You can see that there is a listing of the number of stops for each symbol in a separate short table that does not deal with payouts. There is a detailed listing of the specific combinations of pays that lists the number of included symbols per reel for each pay and the rest of the details that basically covers what you did in your spreadsheet.

Then there is a detail list of the physical strips showing the symbols in order, and a longer list of the virtual stops which gives the true picture of the reels. Finally, they list the results of statistical testing that indicates the short and long term volatility of the design to a 90% confidence value (Don't ask. Duh! Why they failed to use the accepted standard of 95% is beyond me!)

They also came up with the idea of their own standardized volatility index, which is simply the limit of expected deviation (in one direction) for the game for any interval of 10,000 spins to a confidence value of 90% (so we can't really call it two standard deviations, now can we?  frying pan) The advantage of having that number is that it can be used to quickly compare the relative volatility of any two game designs.

Enjoy,

Stat garfield

* SS4634.Double Diamond 3cm.txt (11.81 KB - downloaded 121 times.)
* SS4638.Double Diamond Deluxe 3cm.txt (12.38 KB - downloaded 172 times.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:35:36 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
wrkey

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »

Thanks to FoxsSlots I got the last mechanical issue resolved and now the machine is working great!  turned out the 2nd coin reset was due to a leaf switch on the Step up Unit that needed to be adjusted (bent).  It was the switch that controled the reset solinoid that should have contacted on both two coins and 3 coins... but was just enough off that on two it didn't touch.  I was completely lost on trying to figure it out but FoxsSlots had to 'dumb it down' for me (ie simplify the problem) and I was able to quickly resolve.

Fun machine so cool!  Thanks to all others who assisted!!!
StatFreak

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

Glad to hear it!  applause applause  Barry knows his stuff!  Hail

CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:43:43 AM »

Glad to hear it!  applause applause  Barry knows his stuff!  Hail
Me, too! Agree with Post

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
Op-Bell
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »

The model number for Bally EMs is often stamped on the reel switch wafers.

The two reels in the top are the multipliers. The 10 position one is a standard pinball score wheel, next to it is one that looks the same but is 12 positions. The 10 position steps on every coin out when 2 coins are played, and every second position steps the payout counter. The 12 position steps when 3 coins are played and every 3rd position steps the payout counter. 5 coin multiplier machines have 4 of these, 10-12-12-10, for 2, 3, 4 and 5 coins played respectively.
wrkey

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »

Thanks for the info there Op-Bell!!!   I found the model number right where you said they would bit.... 1090.

Thanks again... now if I can get those pesky Insert Coin & Coin Accepted lamps to light consistantly.  I think there must be a 'cold solder' somewhere.
Op-Bell
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

now if I can get those pesky Insert Coin & Coin Accepted lamps to light consistantly.  I think there must be a 'cold solder' somewhere.
Very often the bad connection is the center pin of the lamp socket. There's a hollow rivet through the bottom, and the socket center pin runs through it. Power comes in through a solder tag under the rivet. The problem is that it gets a bit loose over the years and some corrosion gets in so that the tag isn't making good contact with the rivet. If the tag is loose enough to turn on the lampholder body, that's probably it. If you're really, really good at soldering you can solder the tag to the rivet.
wrkey

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

I think the lamp sockets are OK because the intermentant working of the lamps is consistant across the bulbs.  In other words, either they both work like they are supposed to or neither work.

I tired to trace the wiring using my Ohm meter and I think it goes to one of the plugs to the back of the reels (on right front front of machine) and through some leaf swtiches and then back out the same plug (though one of the round plugs).  From there I'm not sure.

A schematic would be awesome... but all the ones I see are like $50 or more.... and I question the need for the lights to be equal to $50.
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »

I think the leaf switch for that circuit is on the left hand side of the reel mech.
that's left hand side opposite the damper on the right.
Check that switch for proper operation.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.