Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Just wondering who is to blame for GM bankruptcy?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just wondering who is to blame for GM bankruptcy?  (Read 22312 times)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 311

« on: May 29, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »

Just wondering for comments  Tongue Out
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »

speculators.  GM has always relied on financing to sell cars.  Their execs also had a hand in this since they were only looking at the short term profit instead of the long term sustainable operations.  GM has been using the Edward Demming method of manufacturing that Toyota uses and their quality is at the top.  What the big 3 auto makers did was concentrate on the products that they got the most profit from which was usually large platform cars and trucks, this left the market open at the entry level for the competition to grab, what they didn't realize was the competition would introduce new products into the segments that the big 3 concentrated on.  This let first time car buyers sample the offshore or implant vehicles and when they could afford more expensive cars, they stayed loyal to the brand.  I could go on and on, but that's enough.

Have a great night,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »

Just wondering for comments  Tongue Out
The global economy, i.e. China!!!

Pension plans. Company's who have been in the US less than 30 years have no one on a pension.
Unions that got out of control. "Oh, you want that floor swept?" "You need a to call in a $30.00 an hour floor engineer on overtime, can't none of us do that, violates the contract." ( Now I am pro-union and I was a steward for several years, but what I've heard goes on in the car factories blows me away!)
Environmental and OSHA laws that other countries do not have.
And for GM it is/was a combination of the above. The labor cost of producing each vehicle is so prohibitive that they could only profit from large, pricey vehicles. That pushed them into a narrow market. Along comes $4.00 a gallon gas and now everybody is hesitant to purchase those large gas guzzling vehicles.
Goodby narrow market.

IMO
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:08:43 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUJGIxlTlwo&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tUJGIxlTlwo&rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXVDrKECXdk&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AXVDrKECXdk&rel=0</a>

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »

Oh Joey, I don't whether to  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing  or  bawling bawling bawling

In my previous post I forgot health care costs!!!!  How could I forget that!
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:33 AM »

LOL,two of my favorite's Wayne and Jim  bust gut laughing
Let me start by saying I allways loved working on cars. My first "real" job as a "mechanic" was when i was 19,at one of the largest dealers in my state. I worked used car dept.,which I serviced all the trade ins. I hade to do the state inspection,State emission test,and a 27 point saftey check. (anyone from Md knows this covers bumber to bumber). The GM dealer sent me to every school that you could think of...why,not a clue. If you brought your GM in for service,you would not see me Smiley . They were three people on "my team"..we were "used cars" . So one day I could be working on a Nissan,Toyota,or a Chevette  Duh! . After all the schooling we were considerd technicians (computers) . Between the three of us we had  work orders' from the used car lot of the cars needing done...we picked the ones we wanted to do  yes. Oh,and if you bought one of the used cars and it needed serice it would come back to one of us. Anyway,Mon. and Fri we would ALLWAYS grab a Nissan or Toyota  muted cause we knew it would be a easy day .

Now,jump ahead a few years  Tongue Out....
The last 15 yrs I've worked for GM on a assembly line building cars. I worked in Baltimore building the Astro and Safari van. That plant closed so I transferred to Del. building the Sky and Solistice(Dawoo for export). In Del. I was a "team leader" ...which was another way of saying I watched over my team (6 people) and made sure they followed ISO,SOP,ERGO,ETC,(  frying pan) .
I've done this in the bodyshop...and luckly,I was the last person to check the job before it went to paint. if I seen a defect I would send it to repair(which was me  LOL ).  Now,jump ahead a few months and the shift I was on was cut due to lack of sales. Now I'm a team leader in what they call "general assembly". This is where NUMBERS COUNT.  Baltimore we had to "ship" 420 jobs a 8 hour shift,Del was a low production plant,we had to ship 52 jobs a 8 hour shift.     Now,here we go Smiley In Baltimore jobs were messed up(we could not stop the line) and i would tell mangement of the problem they would say "ship it",we will fix it later. In Del. we had the ANDON system where an assembler would pull it and the line would stop...and a team leader would respond....

* IMG00001.jpg (541.09 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 245 times.)

* P8130011.JPG (390.99 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 277 times.)
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »

Ok,as I was typing this I seen two replies..I reply after I finish.
If it could not be fixed soon,Mangement would say ship it. They need the numbers for the superintendent of that dept....ok,going to read the new post Smiley
a69mopar
647-402-1977

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:20:16 AM »

You forgot to mention your problem solving boards.  Did you have daily team meetings?

Thanks,
Wayne

Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:08 AM »

You forgot to mention your problem solving boards.  Did you have daily team meetings?

Thanks,
Wayne
LOL,ok Wayne,been there done that Smiley
I caught s*it from my team members and mangement. Yes,I had to go to more meetings . When we were shut down for lack of sales I had to go to meetings. My main concern was my team,than building a well built "job"... Yes,I had to hold a "team meeting" once aweek to inform my team of the propaganda MGT was saying!!!... And yes,I filled out all the boards daily
Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:26 AM »

....Anyway,we do not design them. A assembly plant puts all the pieces together. We DO NOT fabricat ONE PIECE,we just put the puzzle together. Now,if the "supplier" is off a Mill.,...ok,this is beating a dead horse  yes

Randy0777
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:56:36 AM »

LOl,thanks Joeylc ...Thats four min's that I'l lnever get back(could of been more,but I cancelled it  bust gut laughing )
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »

How could GM possibly succeed with the UAW strapped around their neck?  Imagine having to run a company where you must pay your employees DOUBLE what foreign countries are paying as well as benefits for all employees past. 

I blame the failure on the UAW's GREED -  let them get shares of a bankrupt worthless company.
a69mopar
647-402-1977

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »

Wow, that's harsh.  Do you honestly think the company would be in better shape if the wages were half, the execs would have just taken larger bonuses, their jets would have been more lavish and less money would be spread in the communities that the workers who build the cars live in.  as for the retirees, that gave 30 - 45 years to a company, I would expect a pension also if I were them.  I guess the anti union people would have all workers in industry making minimum wage and the execs and speculators reaping all of the profits, would this really help GM or the economy. 

W

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

I saw an article in the paper (pretty sure tt was an AP article) that here in America the only difference between UAW workers wages and benefits and non-union shops like Toyota and Honda's worlers wages and benefits was the pension package. It stated the non-union shops have employer-matched 401ks instead of employer-funded pensions.

Just as Social Security is having solvency problems due to the baby boomer retirement spike, so are the UAW shops. I'm pretty sure that's one of the big causes of the airline industry's issues also.

Thanks,
Bill
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »

Wow, that's harsh.  Do you honestly think the company would be in better shape if the wages were half, the execs would have just taken larger bonuses, their jets would have been more lavish and less money would be spread in the communities that the workers who build the cars live in.  as for the retirees, that gave 30 - 45 years to a company, I would expect a pension also if I were them.  I guess the anti union people would have all workers in industry making minimum wage and the execs and speculators reaping all of the profits, would this really help GM or the economy. 

W

I do... when times are tough you need to be able to lay people off and reduce wages. 

When things are tough at home you reduce spending ... cut things here and there (not the slots of course).. GM has had it's hands tied for years.   Now after being bankrupt President Osama is going to mandate all cars get a mystical 42MPG.   Such a joke.   
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

I saw an article in the paper (pretty sure tt was an AP article) that here in America the only difference between UAW workers wages and benefits and non-union shops like Toyota and Honda's worlers wages and benefits was the pension package. It stated the non-union shops have employer-matched 401ks instead of employer-funded pensions.

Just as Social Security is having solvency problems due to the baby boomer retirement spike, so are the UAW shops. I'm pretty sure that's one of the big causes of the airline industry's issues also.

Agreed
a69mopar
647-402-1977

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »

W

I do... when times are tough you need to be able to lay people off and reduce wages. 

When things are tough at home you reduce spending ... cut things here and there (not the slots of course).. GM has had it's hands tied for years.   Now after being bankrupt President Osama is going to mandate all cars get a mystical 42MPG.   Such a joke.   

They do and the U.A.W. is doing their part with the concessions...

a69mopar
647-402-1977

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »

Gm has many fuel efficient products and had some great technology in the works such as direct injection (gasoline engines that are similar to diesel technology.)

W

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »

only on the eve of bankruptcy.  Truly sad.   I was always of the opinion if I didn't like my employer I could always leave and find another job.    The door is always open.
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »

Gm has many fuel efficient products and had some great technology in the works such as direct injection (gasoline engines that are similar to diesel technology.)

W

They do and as the market permits they will get better and better and better.   When gas was $4.50 a gallon people would flock to this.  Big government needs to get out of the way.

If I want to pay $$ for my gas guzzling suv then fine. I'll pay.  Don't force little tin cans on me .
a69mopar
647-402-1977

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »

only on the eve of bankruptcy.  Truly sad.   I was always of the opinion if I didn't like my employer I could always leave and find another job.    The door is always open.

that's an option everyone has including the execs.  They will be taking pay cuts now but should have years ago.

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »

that's an option everyone has including the execs.  They will be taking pay cuts now but should have years ago.

agreed

*** LARGE pay cuts
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »

If I want to pay $$ for my gas guzzling suv then fine. I'll pay.  Don't force little tin cans on me .

I can't stress how much I agree with this.

That said, I think the point of Obama's strategy is to make sure those who want to buy little tin cans can buy them from American car makers. If Toyota vehicles are outselling those made by American mfgrs, there must be a reason. And the American mfgrs need to address that issue or go bankrupt (hmm, what exactly are we discussing here?  Tongue Out ).

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »

Well,
The question is "Who's to blame for GM's bankruptcy?"... Scratch Head

I'd have to say...GM...plain and simple... yes

Same thing goes for any other company that files for bankruptcy...it's their own fault...sorry

It's only wimpy cry as-es  bawling that try to put the blame on others and can't accept their responsibilities...   loser

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »

Well,
The question is "Who's to blame for GM's bankruptcy?"... Scratch Head

I'd have to say...GM...plain and simple... yes

Same thing goes for any other company that files for bankruptcy...it's their own fault...sorry

It's only wimpy cry as-es  bawling that try to put the blame on others and can't accept their responsibilities...   loser

Simple... Sweet

I like it!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.