How to Quiet Noisy Reels

(1/11) > >>

Yoeddy1:
I'm wanting to remove my reels from my machine.  I cleaned the reels, but I want to see if I can make them any quieter.  Is there a video or tutorial on removing the reels/reel baskets?

Thanks!

stayouttadabunker:
Pull the harness out from under the reel tray and pop out the reel mechs.
Remove the strips
(Lay them out as 1. 2. 3. so they go back the same way you removed them)
and tighten the reel baskets "spokes" with plastic ties.
Tighten them up good and cut off the excess with a good pair of snips.
Put the strips back on making sure the notches
are in the correct spot and re-install the reels and harness.
They should be much quieter!
When you put the ties on, make sure the ratchet tie lock
is facing inside the "spokes" away from the optics that's all!

rickhunter:
I've never tried bunker's solution, mind posting a picture of the "finished product". 

The only methods I had used for "quieter" reels were:

1.  Tape up the reel strips nice and tight so that they don't vibrate as much as the reels spin (they become kind of like a speaker diaphragm and increases the resonance of the vibrations, so the tighter they are, the less they resonate).

2.  The hammer to the hub trick.  Place a small nut driver/socket so that you can use it to tighten the friction nut on the hub, then give it a good wack, but not too strong so as to destroy the reel.  Sometimes I put a plastic washer between the basket and the nut to get it tighter while still giving it a very minor "wiggle room".

StatFreak:
In addition to the above mentioned methods, one can also take the reel basket apart and add a thin layer of tape to the two metal spokes on the motor spindle to remove any possible vibration between the spindle and the basket.

When taking the basket off of the spindle, be careful removing the clip that holds the basket to the reels, as it has a tendency to go flying across the room! :25- :37-

Extras can be expensive -- They only seem to be dirt cheap at something like $0.02 each (<EDIT> They're now $0.06 each ;D), but with Happ's $25 minimum order and super-bonus Surprise shipping, getting them is more costly than one might imagine. :81- :30- I think they ended up costing me around $50 :97- :97- :97-  (Okay, I did get other cool stuff from Happ, but I probably wouldn't have placed that order if I hadn't needed ONE lousy clip. (Now I have a bag full. :96-)

For those who are interested, the Happ part number is 70-1499-00.

brichter:
Quote from: StatFreak on September 01, 2009, 02:36:54 PM

(Okay, I did get other cool stuff from Happ, but I probably wouldn't have placed that order if I hadn't needed ONE lousy clip. (Now I have a bag full. :96-)

For those who are interested, the Happ part number is 70-1499-00.

Sounds like we need to do a group buy of clips from Stat!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page