Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  An A** Hole
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An A** Hole  (Read 6164 times)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« on: July 30, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »

Looks like we had an Ass Hole on here again . goes by dansipsInette

Thanks for deleting him
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »

Saw that. Great job by the mods cleaning it up.  Clap
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:02:32 PM »

No a**hole; bots don't have them.  Of course, the programmer did. Tongue Out frying pan

garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »

I noticed that -    mainly because I got some emails from threads many months old -  was that a person or bot? -  Stat how do you know it was a bot?   It's been so long since I registered I don't remember if NLG has  CAPTCHA ?

good job squashing it !   applause
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:37:44 PM by jdkmunch » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »

I noticed that -    mainly because I got some emails from threads many months old -  was that a person or bot? -  Stat how do you know it was a bot?   It's been so long since I registered I don't remember if NLG has  CAPTCHA ?

good job squashing it !   applause

Channelmaniac was the first on the scene. Give him the credit. I just did some mopping up. arrow

Simple: Human beings don't post every 15 seconds and don't keep trying to post another 50-75 times after they're banned. Tongue Out

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »

Lol - I guess that pretty much sums it up!

Smiley
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »

I wondered why I got notified of a response to an old thread and there was no response when I checked...  Shifty

Thanks,
Bill
poppo

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »

I wondered why I got notified of a response to an old thread and there was no response when I checked...  Shifty

What sort of bites, is you have to check each one of them or you won't get notified again the next time someone does reply.
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »

Shameless plug:
That is the result of the speedy fingers of our ever-vigilant, often imitated, never duplicated, always global, moderately modest, moderators. Tongue Out frying pan Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:18:15 PM »

What sort of bites, is you have to check each one of them or you won't get notified again the next time someone does reply.

Yeah, pretty much. There are buttons at the forum level, and on the "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" boards, but they employ the carpet bomb approach. no

Ahem: The following commercial announcement applies only to our daily posters. Noobs waiting for replies to their own thread questions may ignore this announcement.

Professor TIP for our regulars: Buy ExLax! propeller  ... D'oh!  Homer Insane  No, wait.  Duh!  Uh, that wasn't it. Oh, yeah:

Turn off automatic notifications for topics in which you reply and go through all of your notifications and remove them, unless it's a topic you really care about.

Why? If you're on the site every day or two, you don't need them! Just go to the two lists mentioned above (located at the very top left of the page next to your avatar and below your new messages link. Between the main portal page listing the most recent posts and topics and those page links, you won't miss anything.

The default "unread ... last visit" time period is either two or three days, so if you're not going to be on the site for a while, notifications can still help. Even so, that list will show EVERY SINGLE thread you haven't read in descending date order if necessary. After you exhaust the displayed list of topics, there will be a link to show everything else. It is labeled, "Click here to try all unread topics." It takes a while to display, but since it defaults to descending date order of the most recent post, you won't have to pour through pages and pages if you've only been away a week or so.

If you're going to be away longer, you can always go to the threads you care about and turn on notification.

Another method would be to leave the notifications in place, but to disable the emails. That would allow you to use them when on vacation from the board.

Stat garfield

poppo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

Just go to the two lists mentioned above (located at the very top left of the page next to your avatar and below your new messages link. Between the main portal page listing the most recent posts and topics and those page links, you won't miss anything.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the way those links are displayed (vice the 'recent posts' on the bottom of the forum index page). They just look too cluttered.
StatFreak

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »

Just go to the two lists mentioned above (located at the very top left of the page next to your avatar and below your new messages link. Between the main portal page listing the most recent posts and topics and those page links, you won't miss anything.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the way those links are displayed (vice the 'recent posts' on the bottom of the forum index page). They just look too cluttered.

Keep in mind that you only get one entry per thread, no matter how many posts are in it, but you can go directly to your first unread post by clicking on the  new icon instead of the thread link.

<PS> That also works on the main portal page, and although the most recent posts list quickly fills up, the most recent topics list doesn't. Use the new on those to get directly to your last position in the thread.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:45:47 PM by StatFreak » Logged

poppo

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »

Right. But it's just the way it is laid out that just seems to make it harder to quickly scan, than the recent post view.

* posts.jpg (219.31 KB, 493x348 - viewed 275 times.)
StatFreak

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:24:46 AM »

The bottom half of your picture is from the FORUM page, not the portal page, which lists most recent post and topics in color.

* Portal unread posts.jpg (316.34 KB, 1279x717 - viewed 236 times.)

poppo

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »

The bottom half of your picture is from the FORUM page, ..

Right. I'm just saying that I like that view better, as it's easier (for me) to read the topic. Just a personal preference and why I don't use the links at the top.

Of course either would be better if they fit on a 1024 pixel screen (laptop) instead of the 1152 the forum is formated for.  knockout And before anyone says anything, zooming out to make it fit looks like crap.
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »

Happy to help keep things cleaned up, but I do have to give a nod to the great folks that A) flagged the message and B) didn't quote them or respond to them!

Smiley

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
StatFreak

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:36 AM »

Of course either would be better if they fit on a 1024 pixel screen (laptop) instead of the 1152 the forum is formated for.  knockout And before anyone says anything, zooming out to make it fit looks like crap.

touchĂ©  knockout

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »

I like my email notifications -  let's me know
Instantly when a response is given.

I'm always attached with the phone so it's
Like I never leave the site.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.