Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  9-11 Ten years later... Where were you at on that day 09/11/2001 ???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9-11 Ten years later... Where were you at on that day 09/11/2001 ???  (Read 13337 times)
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« on: September 08, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »

Students commemorate 9/11 with mural at school 
By RODD CAYTON/The Daily News.
Published: Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:53 AM MDT

http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2011/09/08/news/local/doc4e686d2529d11951842974.txt

BULLHEAD CITY — The students were mostly around 3 years old when the events that shaped the world they will grow up in occurred.

Still, they recognize the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks as an event that will never be forgotten.

The students, a group of 13 eighth-graders and a sixth-grader at Bullhead City Junior High School, have spent time after school the last three Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays creating a mural commemorating the event and honoring those who perished.

“They designed and painted it,” said their teacher, BCJH history instructor Mike McClurg. “All the mistakes are mine.”

The mural features two elongated American flags, student Kristine Carruthers said, to symbolize the World Trade Center towers destroyed in the attacks. Other features include a pentagon and an outline of Pennsylvania, to mark the Defense Department headquarters and the site where a plane hijacked by terrorists was forced down by passengers.

The individuals killed are represented by a halo above the flags and the stars that encircle other elements.

Finally, there are ribbons bearing the inscriptions “we honor our fallen heros of 9/11” and “we will never forget.”

Also on display are photographs from a visit by BCJH students five years ago to a travelling 9/11 memorial in Laughlin.

Mayor Jack Hakim visited the students Wednesday and praised their work.

“I’m proud of what you’ve been able to do,” said Hakim, who added that their work on the mural will be another lasting memory for the students.

McClurg said the students worked hard on the project and treated the topic with the appropriate level of decorum.

“They learned valuable lessons about teamwork, and compromise,” he said, referring to the various original ideas the students had that merged into the final work.

“I believe we worked really hard,” student Hannah Winnen said. “But it was all worth it.”

Carruthers said the project was important because everyone who was lost on that infamous day in 2001 was important to someone.

As for the tribute in Room 705, she doesn’t think it will ever be removed.

“It better not,” a classmate barked.

McClurg said that’s nothing to worry about for a while.

“My plan is to have it up there as long as I’m here,” he said.

waving flag  waving flag  waving flag  waving flag  waving flag  waving flag  waving flag

MURAL OF REMEMBRANCE: Bullhead City Junior High School students
Pose in front of the mural they painted in honor of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
The mural adorns a wall in the classroom of history teacher Mike McClurg.

* doc4e686d2529d11951842974[1].jpg (19.33 KB, 360x242 - viewed 260 times.)

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
zarobhr
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 178

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »

i had just driven by the pentagon and heard it on the radio, could see the smoke from it in my mirrors
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »

Agree with Post
I was @ work
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:50:44 PM »

Joey   Who is this Kristine Carruthers  kid ???????????  ( girl with glasses )

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Joeylc
NLG Site Administrator

KG7NLG

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

Just some kid that sleeps in my house and eats up all of the food in the house.... 
I'm not sure who she is ... or what she wants she wont go away.... and she keeps asking me for money ?????    LOL

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

???

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

I had just woken up and the TV at the end of the bed was on. They were showing the North? Tower with smoke billowing out of it and my first thought was that it was a replay of that bombing they'd had in the basement a few years earlier. I hadn't been watching 20 seconds when the camera caught the plane hitting the second tower. That's when I REALLY woke up...
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »

I had just left on a 3 day cruise out of CA to Mexico and had just pulled out of port in Mexico that morning. I just happened to be watching CNN that morning as they were reporting the first plane. Saw everything else unfolding live. When we got back to Long Beach, we were not allowed to pull into port for quite a while. Needless to say, it put a damper on the trip,

I will give Royal Caribbean some big kudos though. Not just for how they did a great job of trying to keep spirits up, but also for when we got back. Since planes were still grounded, they offered to put anyone up in a hotel on their dime that was stranded. They had no obligation at all to do that.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »

Good job Kristine.  Clap Clap  usa_flag

+1 (Karma, or whatever)

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »

I was in my college apartment asleep.  My roommate knocked on my door to wake me up and said something close to, "the US is under attack - both towers of the World Trade Center have collapsed, and the Pentagon was also hit."  I bolted out of bed and out to the living room to watch the news.

I suspect that September 11th, 2001 will be my generation's Pearl Harbor or JFK assassination - everyone knows where they were, what they were doing when it happened.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
zarobhr
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 178

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

my duaghters were 3 and 5 when it happened, oldest remembers when we went to look at the pentagon damage ( from a distance) . she even remebers asking a stranger to borrow some binoculars to look at it
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »

Just some kid that sleeps in my house and eats up all of the food in the house.... 
I'm not sure who she is ... or what she wants she wont go away.... and she keeps asking me for money ?????    LOL

Bug Spray may work??? Cry Laughing

Good job Kristine.  Clap Clap  usa_flag

+1 (Karma, or whatever)

Stat garfield
Me, too! I give in! bust gut laughing

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »

I was headed to tennis class when I heard people talking about it. Walked in to my track coaches office (my tennis teacher) to see the 2nd plane hit the tower. I just remember everyone in the athletic complex crying. The company I worked at part time had a corporate cafeteria division and had several inside the WTC area. Luckily everyone from their company got out safely.

Its definitely our generation's JFK, I'll remember it the rest of my life.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »

I remember it like yesterday.  I walked into work and noticed a lot of our training room monitors wer scattered all over the place and were all on the same channel.  A lot of people were in tears.  I remember my jaw dropped and my heart sunk.  I just sat in my chair in a trance.  I'll always remember one video clip in particular that still badly chokes me up.  The camera was very close to the disaster and hearing the people scream around the guy recording the footage after the plane hit just damn near brings me to my knees to this day. 

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »

I was at work in a design engineering meeting. We were working on a new Chlorine and Sulfur Dioxide building for our wastewater treatment plant. The building would hold up to 10 tons of each chemical. We thought we were really overdoing the security measures until that morning. The meeting stopped and a small tv was brought in.
So senseless is all I could think.

Needless to say more security was installed.
crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »

I remember it like yesterday.  I walked into work and noticed a lot of our training room monitors wer scattered all over the place and were all on the same channel.  A lot of people were in tears.  I remember my jaw dropped and my heart sunk.  I just sat in my chair in a trance.  I'll always remember one video clip in particular that still badly chokes me up.  The camera was very close to the disaster and hearing the people scream around the guy recording the footage after the plane hit just damn near brings me to my knees to this day. 

Jason

Yeah those eyewitness videos were the worst. Just watching people jumping out of windows hundreds of feet up in the air knowing they were falling to their death. I couldn't imagine what was going through their heads when they decided jumping was the best option. I watched an inside 911 show last year that got me. It was all home video taken during and you could see and hear the people. Seeing the thick cloud of dust looked like a movie when the 2nd building collapsed. Crazy
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »

I was working on NJ shore on the tallest building in New Jersey -
directly across the Hudson River from the Twin Towers.

About 20 of us Ironworkers saw the 1st plane fly by right over
our heads about 700 ft high and hit into the building.
I looked like a movie stunt being filmed.  Duh!

Then the horns sounded and we had to come down off the building.
Can I say I wished I would have stayed to see it fall down...uh...no!

Anyways, I never saw the 2nd plane hit because I was on the
NYS Thruway headed north to home.
We had the week off...yay?  no
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »

I was in Houston to do a reseller training event and someone hollered out so we turned on the TV on the cart in the room and watched it. It was surreal. Like watching a movie full of special effects.

I drove from Dallas down to Houston the night before. My MCO (Manager of Channel Operations), a.k.a. "dotted line boss" flew down and had no way to get home because all the flights were grounded. He rode home with me and it took us over 2 hours to get out of Houston as everyone was leaving the city just in case someone decided to attack the energy companies down there.

We took the back roads to Dallas and he must've really tied one on the night before because it was a 6 1/2 hour drive AFTER we got out of the city and he slept all the way. Took us 4 hours longer than usual because of traffic issues and taking the long way over the back roads.

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Hotrodslots69
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 36

If all the smoke gets out it won't work anymore!

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 02:25:30 AM »

I was living in Atlanta at the time working for an elevator company doing service work at a local hotel, the machine room door opened into the breakfast area where everyone was watching it unfold on the TVs in that area. Sad thing is most people have already forgotten that terrible day. waving flag  We are getting close to the 10Th anniversary and I hope there are no more actions like those of 9/11/01  usa_flag usa_flag God bless this county and everyone who lives in it Thank You!

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »

The United States would be okay if they didn't send the military into other countries...
I don't see that changing anytime soon.  no

No wonder the Allies bombed the Nazis

( Bunker running for cover!....lol )

Joeylc
NLG Site Administrator

KG7NLG

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RDjJltuj070&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RDjJltuj070&rel=0</a>

Joey Carruthers 2011

BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

???

FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »

Good one Joey.
I was digging a footer out with the back hoe when the guy's in shop came out & told me.
It made the hair on your arms & back stand up.
Joeylc
NLG Site Administrator

KG7NLG

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »

I was working the grave yard shift at Circus Circus in Reno NV. 
I took a Early Out That night and went home around 5:30 am and was in bed by 6:00 am around 6:50
My wife Georgia woke me up telling me that we "THE USA" are under attack..   
For the next 12 hours we stayed glued to the internet and TV. 
We lived in the flight path of the air port so for the next couple of weeks it was strange looking up in the sky and not seeing or hearing any plains.
It's hard to believe it's been ten years.
 waving flag God Bless The USA.  waving flag

Joey Carruthers 2011

BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

???

Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »

"Have you seen my Daddy...please call"...dear God I can't even fathom that.

Jason

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »

I watched the towers fall from my office window.    Will never forget that image as long as I live.  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.