Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  Wireless N standard
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless N standard  (Read 6197 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »

I've got a Linksys G router, it has been my experience that these devices go bad after a while.  (I've replaced two at work and one at home), the one I have at home now stops working until reset and then it works ok again for a while.

I'm thinking of replacing this with one of the new Linksys N standard routers.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1144763513404&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

*I would certainly like the greater range that this device has...I don't really need the speed because the uplink/cable connection isn't any faster than 5-10Mb for sure.  The connection is mostly for internet and not to copy between laptops/PCs.

*I think the original G series routers were more powerful than they appear to be now.  I remember stating to notice the difference in reach on these a few years ago...they then came out with a booster...hmmmmm very suspicious.  I'm almost thinking about going with a different brand than Linksys just to try something different.

Any way what do you guys think?  Is anyone using a N standard router now?  If you are what brand and how well does it work?

Thx -    egghead egghead

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »

Yep yep...I know I'll need the card to get the benefit...saw some bundles of linksys routers with a card at BestBuy...but I went back and they aren't there now.  Someone also recommended Belkin, I may look into both Belkin and NetGear.  I did see on the 802.11N Linksys ... at the bottom it said three year warranty???  If that's true it might be worth it to go the Linksys route and just turn it in when it starts to need the reboot.

Ya know...I think I'm gonna search Cisco's site for Linksys issues that cause you to have to restart.  If everyone is having same issues it has to be a manufacturing fault....unless it is meant to break so you will have to buy another one.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »

The advantage of Linksys is that they are owned by Cisco and I am a Cisco bigot when it comes to networking stuff.

Sadly I have had 2 linksys die at home and as we gave them away to our home users at the office we have had scores of those go bad as well.

I might suggest buying the extended warranty from Best Buy. Normally these are a suckers bet but in this case you might get the last laugh.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »

Try upgrading the firmware as a first step.

Also - Keep in mind that N is not standardized yet. It's entirely possible that the standard could shift enough to make pre-standard stuff not fully compatible. It's a gamble.

RJ

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »

Not to throw you all off topic but what about Broad-Band cards for my laptop.... You know so i can take it were ever i may go.

What would be the best choice in this and is Broad-Band actually a good investment??

Joeylc_III
 Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »

There's a new High speed broadband service called EVDO.  It's up to 2Mbits and it works through the cellular network. Verizon has it.  It's more money than dsl or cable, but you can travel around the US with your laptop with broadband service.

Now if you are just talking wifi for your laptop to roam around the house.  Wireless G is a very economical choice with good range throughout the house.  Wireless "N" is not yet standardized and it's twice as much.  If you do a lot of file transfers using wireless technology, the "N" would be your best bet.  I don't usually recommend a technology until it's been standardized, as you might be left behind with equipment not capable of doing the whole standard.  So for now Wireless G for wifi.

Is it worth it?  Wifi for home is not a huge investment and certainly provides for a lot of convenience.  EVDO I would consider it if you travel a LOT or have no other choice for broadband.  I have a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere in his farm, and DSL/CAble are not an option.  For the longest time he was looking at two wat satellite, but it was too much money.  Then Verizon offered EVDO service "close" to his area.  He's had to put a receiving antenna on top of his house to get decent reception, but it works well, and he now has broadband.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

I would go with the N standard card.  Even if the N standard has not been completly worked through I don't think they will leave current N card holders in the lurch.  Any changes, if there are any, could most likely be fixed with a software update.

Here is a Belkin pre-wireless N at BestBuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=M5J2ZAOPFZEWXKC4D3LFAGI?skuId=7844185&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050003&id=1142298457758

Here is a Dlink:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8040354&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050003&id=1157068454949

Here are a few of the pluses:

•  Up to 12X Faster & 4X Farther than 802.11g
•  Greater Wireless Reception Around Your Home or Office
•  Backward Compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b Networks

*Backward Compatible with 802.11g/b* Smiley

I'm a **Linksys fan myself but the other two are probably cheaper.  If your traveling or at home the increase in range is really the reason to go with this standard IMO.  The speed increase is of no real value if you are handing off to a much lower speed ISP....    lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt  ]=====>   gary / snail gary / snail gary / snail   (cable companies now run from 5 to 15 Mbps depending on who you have and where you are in their service area...still slower than your card will be)

I'm sure you understand but.... you won't get the increased range without connecting to a device that supports the N standard.  Chances are G will be out there for a while...but I think N will catch on quick...I'm putting the N router in my house and when I went to BestBuy to get one recently they were sold out.  I think I might try Belkin...been having some issues with Linksys.

**I'm really a cisco fan..

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

EVDO or similar is going to cost you $60/mth... and you really need to be aware where you plan to use it and if its available.

For instance you can use it in downtown Pittsburgh but to the North in the subburbs the expected roll out date is not until late 2008/2009. In the computer world this kind of equates to NEVER as you know some faster / better technology will be in vogue long before this date.

If this is for your home - broadband cable/dsl with a wireless router is going to give you a lot more bang for your buck.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

EVDO or similar is going to cost you $60/mth... and you really need to be aware where you plan to use it and if its available.

For instance you can use it in downtown Pittsburgh but to the North in the subburbs the expected roll out date is not until late 2008/2009. In the computer world this kind of equates to NEVER as you know some faster / better technology will be in vogue long before this date.

If this is for your home - broadband cable/dsl with a wireless router is going to give you a lot more bang for your buck.

That is what iam using is DSl and a wireless router..I love it i can go a few hundred feet from the house and still have internet...

Joeylc_III
   Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.