Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  USB port problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: USB port problem  (Read 4621 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

hissy fit hissy fit my USB ports are starting to aggrivate the sh!t out of me.  in device manager everything looks ok, the ports are "functioning normally"

but when i plug in my g/f's digital camera, i get a communication error message. loser

i'm running xp pro on and ancient 750 Athlon processor.   whatever other info is needed just post up.  i'm at work now but will login again when i get home.

TIA lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »

Does this happen with any USB device?  Also do you know what chipset your usb port uses?

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »

hissy fit hissy fit my USB ports are starting to aggrivate the sh!t out of me.  in device manager everything looks ok, the ports are "functioning normally"

but when i plug in my g/f's digital camera, i get a communication error message. loser

i'm running xp pro on and ancient 750 Athlon processor.   whatever other info is needed just post up.  i'm at work now but will login again when i get home.

TIA lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt lightning bolt

If it make you feel any better . . . . . . you are not alone.

I just installed an expensive H-P Photosmart printer it commandeered my USB hub. If I unplug the printer, the software looks and looks and looks for it. When I plug my camera (USB-miniUSB), I also get some sorta comm failure. The 'puter 'sees' the camera drive, but never displays the contents. Plug the H-P back in and it's now happy.

I can see where the H-P locked onto/assigned itself to comm4, but I have no idea how to make it randomly use any of the four USB ports.

OK, my bitch with H-P is over for now,
'da angry Monster

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »

There is USB 1.0 and 2.0 some devices don't like 1.0 while others just run slower.

Ie my USB memory stick works fine but I had a older clone running 98 that I use as a utility machine.
I had a similar problem with my HP Photosmart 1100 when I went to use it via USB.

I picked up a 2port USB card (PCI interface) for 19.95 at bestbuy and ignored the other onboard ports.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Does this happen with any USB device?  Also do you know what chipset your usb port uses?

i've tried two different digital cameras in the last few weeks.  i don't have any other devices that use the usb so i'm not sure if this problem has been around for just a few weeks or for the past year. no

how would i check the chipset?  thanks to all for trying to help oreo oreo

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

I picked up a 2port USB card (PCI interface) for 19.95 at bestbuy and ignored the other onboard ports.

sounds like a possible solution for my situation.  thanks for the idea  yes

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »

Stay away from USB cards that use the VIA chipset.  These are known to have all kinds of compatibility issues.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »

Stay away from USB cards that use the VIA chipset.  These are known to have all kinds of compatibility issues.

thanks for the heads up,  i'll try to figure out how to learn which chipset my USB card has tonight.  Joe Cool

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »

thanks for the heads up,  i'll try to figure out how to learn which chipset my USB card has tonight.  Joe Cool

Download Sisoft's Sandra and it will tell you all kinds of neat things about your system.  The "lite" version is free, it lacks a lot of benchmarking tools, but for your needs, it will do.

http://www.sisoftware.net/redirect/dload.php?id=9

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »

hi, I too had a lot of problems with different devices - usb dvd burner, usb game pad, etc. etc. Couldn't burn mp3's to audio cd's, etc.
 My computer was a 2 year old Compaq notebook with usb 1.1.  I bought a new Acer aspire 9504ewsmi notebook a few weeks ago at Circuit City for $799.  Sold the Compaq for $500. net cost $299.  This notebook is great - 5 usb 2.0 ports, DVD dual layer burner, 17 inch widescreen, PARALLEL port ( for hooking up my Eprom burner).  NO problems with any of my devices.  It even runs AutoDesk Animator Studio (1996) that my other computer would not run.  For what it's worth, think about upgrading, instead of getting frustrated.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »

Also, it never hurts to go to your PC's website (assuming it's a brand name PC) and download the latest and greatest drivers.  If you're running a "clone" PC then it's a little harder (but still "doable").

I installed XP SP2 on a Dell laptop and afterwards the thing just crawled...  It acted like it only had 128 megs of RAM...  Went to the driver page and there was a CPU fix.  Downloaded & installed the fix and it was back to being speedy as usual...

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.