Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:57:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S2000 stuck in boot up loop?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S2000 stuck in boot up loop?  (Read 4194 times)
modessitt
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »

Customer brought me a S2000 that uses tickets and a dbv rather than coins and a hopper.  It seems to be trying to start up, but then starts all over - on an endless loop.

The customer stated that he bought the game recently off of Craigslist, and that it was working when he bought it.  He took it home and his wife played it most of the day.  He started playing it that night, and as he was playing he got a tilt of some sort (his words) and that Reels 1 & 2 stopped but Reel 3 kept spinning.  He tried turning the reset key, powering down and up, etc but he started getting this symptom and it never stopped.  If he did anything else, he didn't say.

Here is a video of what it is doing:

Now, I found the green battery to be very low (less than 1 volt) but research here mentioned I could remove it if I jumpered the pads, which I did - but with no change of symptoms.  I've also tried putting a new 3.6v battery on with no change.  There is a small amount of corrosion around that area, but I can't see anything problematic unless one of those fine traces is broken.  Since it's difficult to trace them under SMT parts, I can't really check them for continuity.

I've already checked the pins on the MPU connectors, but none are bent.  I reseated all socketed chips.  I checked all the connectors to all of the power supplies, MB, etc but found no issues.  The screw-in knob on the PS behind the reels is all the way in.  Unless there may be a fuse inside one of the PS's, I haven't seen any.  The circuit breaker on the bottom PS is fine.  Voltage on the yellow battery is 3.5vdc.

I don't have any clear chips for an S2000.  I have them for the S+, but I doubt that would work?

Here are a few pics of the board in question, in case it helps anyone give me some useful advice...

cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

Corrosion can damage the traces for the door optics which run underneath that green battery, but I would think you'd get a door open error in conjunction with the machine not completing the startup. Maybe not...
dpalmi
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »

Have you tried starting up the machine with the bill acceptor removed/pulled out?

I had a machine that would re-start like that in a loop and it ended up being the power supply behind the reels.  It wasn't providing enough power and when there was too high of a power draw, it would drop the voltage just enough to cause a restart.

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

modessitt

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »

Couldn't figure out which connector was just for the dbv power, so I unplugged the big connector on the side of the head and it stopped running the dbv at power up.  Made no change.
modessitt

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »

Any other ideas?  Or perhaps ways of testing power supplies?  Anyone have a wiring diagram for these?
modessitt

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »

I could use some other advice, or tech info on testing to see if the problem is actually the power supply or not.  If so, where do I get one?  Or is it repairable?
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »

if that is your mpu in the picture with the jumper shorting the pos (+) and neg (-) on the 50x MPU that may be why it wont boot

Just cut it back enough that it does not touch the negative to positive, but leave the jumper across the positive only.
Supposedly a jumper between the neg to pos lets the enhanced mpu's (1270) boot without the green battery.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »

That is not a enhanced board as shown . I think Foster may be right remove the neg jumper as the battery is not needed on this board. I would Try a different mpu if you have one . If not . Now might be the right time to get some extra parts as it makes it a lot easier for diagnostics and for future repairs .

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
modessitt

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »

I'll try that, but it was doing this before the jumper (with the green battery). The customer wants to spend very little ($100 tops) so it might not be worth it for me cc to do too much more...
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »

Not having extra parts to swap out to try. or having a working machine to try the possible bad part in make it very difficult to positively identify the bad part that needs replacement . If a member is close to you maybe they could check out the mpu as this would be my guess . As stated it is just a guess .

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »

i bet ya its the mpu..... that would be the 1st thing id swap out......looks like the mpu is fried...... i had a bad mpu  act up like that before........
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.