Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  TOP THIS!!! Slot Topper Topic!
| | |-+  Slot topper conversion-flat-round
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slot topper conversion-flat-round  (Read 9723 times)
Ratspot
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 252

« on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

I am hearing conflicting stories on this. Can a flat top slot topper(say that 5x fast) be converted to a round top machine? vice versa? Scratch Head
cruisepl
PGFD (Ret.)
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 33

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »

I am hearing conflicting stories on this. Can a flat top slot topper(say that 5x fast) be converted to a round top machine? vice versa? Scratch Head

There are two different bases used to install a topper. If you only have a flat top base you can install your topper on a round top machine it just does not look the best because it leaves a gap. To answer your question yes it can be done. As far as vice versa I dont think a round top base would be very stable but with long enough bolts it can probably be done as well.  I did the flat base to a round top machine for a while until I found the correct bases but never tried round top base on a flat top machine.

Someone has to be stupid enough to run into a burning building when everyone else is running out !!
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »

[ As far as vice versa I dont think a round top base would be very stable but with long enough bolts it can probably be done as well.  

I would think the round top one would actually be more stable on a flat top because the outer edges would be like 'legs'. Where a flat top one would tend to rock side to side on a round top.

Ratspot
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 252

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »

You think they would make some kind of adapter mount so they wouldnt have to make different style toppers
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »

You think they would make some kind of adapter mount so they wouldnt have to make different style toppers

I don't have any toppers, but something like this?
http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1162
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »

IGT topper do. They have a base for round top and base for flat top. They are made of black plastic. Both toppers
are identical.

Ron (r273)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »

IGT makes a topper designed for flat or round? I thought you used the little plastic dealybob for round top and just mounted the topper direct for flat,
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »

IGT makes a topper designed for flat or round? I thought you used the little plastic dealybob for round top and just mounted the topper direct for flat,

The one for a flat top has a black spacer of about a half inch thick. You can mount it without it too but it shows a very small gap.

Ron (r273)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »

Ok, that's what I was thinking was all toppers were the same and you just used the plastic adapter that suited your application.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »

There are two different types of standard IGT toppers made for the standard oval inserts most people are familiar with.  The first type has a removable black base like the picture below.  The second type has a pre-molded base that is not changeable.  NOTE ~ most do not know this, but there are actually 3 (possibly 4) different types of bases that will work with this First topper type.  I think its a common misconception that there are only 2 types...flat or round adapters.

One type is for a flat top.

The Second type is for a I-Game cabinet with it's tighter radius than say a S2000 or a I-game 19" / Panda cabinet.

And then Third type, is designed for the larger radius round top of a S2000 or a 19" I-Game.

There is likely a 4th type that I have never seen, but it's logical they would also have an adapter for the 16" highboy cabinets with the sloped backs.

Note that all base types easily come off and can be swapped out / interchanged.

* cleo5.jpg (815.93 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 248 times.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:49:13 AM by Bettor Slots » Logged

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »

There is a second type of topper all together still out there and I have a few in my shop.  These I am guessing were the generation before the ones with the black base.  These were pre-molded for the type of cabinet it would go on and the base was not interchangeable.

I'll edit this post in a minute...looking for some pictures now

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »

I noticed Happs sells different kinds of topper bases.
Look at items #35, #36, and #39.
#39 is a white base though.
The 1st two are black.
Here's a link...>>>

http://www.happcontrols.com/wp/search.p?ACTION=Next&BOTTOM=21&SEARCH_TXT=topper%20base&CAT_RES=ALL
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »

Okay...here is the second type of standard topper.  In the pic below you can see a round top, flat top, and 16" high boy.  These are pre-molded without a black base and are not interchangeable.

* IMG_0710.JPG (425.49 KB, 1400x1050 - viewed 250 times.)

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

You have to be careful when you pick these up, Ebay or wherever as they are often missing the bracket you see in this pic.  The bracket mounts to the machine and then the topper screws into the side of the bracket.  You pick one of these without the bracket and you have some work ahead of you to get it mounted to the top of your machine.

* IMG_0711.JPG (449.36 KB, 1400x1050 - viewed 268 times.)

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »

Here's a side view of the 16" highboy version...you can see how it slopes to fit the cabinet.  You can also see the access holes where you would screw the topper to the bracket that is mounted to the top of the machine.

* IMG_0712.JPG (358.93 KB, 1400x1050 - viewed 270 times.)

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:58 AM »

Good pictures BettorSlots!
You think that's the item #39 I posted up earlier?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »

The  guys are ebay are selling these things like hotcakes but there's nothing in the descriptions about the bases.
So buyer beware guys.
Make sure you get what you want and ask the seller questions before purchasing.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »

Someone mentioned earlier that you could mount the topper with the black bases....a flat top version onto a round top cabinet.  Functionally this will work.  You may not be happy with the aesthetic results.  

Not sure if you can see this is the pictures below....but this is a good example on a machine I built a couple years ago.  This is a S2000 round top black base adapter sitting on an I-Game (17") cabinet.  You do end up with a 1/4" gap more or less on each end, left and right, between the bottom of the black base and the top of the machine.  If you use a flat top adapter you will end up with a full 1" gap.

* terminator-1000.jpg (424.97 KB, 426x1000 - viewed 260 times.)

* topper gap.jpg (1155.09 KB, 1058x1348 - viewed 290 times.)

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »

Might be worth an experiment, but my gut tells me those will not work.  Those bases they are advertising are for their own custom made topper so doubt they will work with IGT's.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 02:05:15 AM »

Might be worth an experiment, but my gut tells me those will not work.  Those bases they are advertising are for their own custom made topper so doubt they will work with IGT's.

I agree that's very possible.
Probably it's just best to contact and ask the seller for more details before buying...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.